1. Inside my mind
    Moves
    03 May '07 01:32
    Is what we experience on a daily basis real? Are the objects sat on my desk in front of me, my computer real? Are all of you out there who read this and reply real? Could it not just be my mind responding to electrical stimulation in effect creating everything just in my head?

Are we not the cause then of our universe? Why can I not change my world by thinking of something different? If I look out of my window and see a red car, my friend stood next to me sees the same, then surely that red car must exist, or is my friend a creation in my head too?

Or maybe all our thoughts our mind is just matter. Thoughts are electrical processes that can be measured and recorded. If they can be measured and recorded then they must be objects, so the world around us is just that, lumps of matter.

I now have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, I've confused myself, as you can see I am no expert on philosophy, these are just my own thoughts as recently I have been questioning my actions and what the universe is.

I would however, love to hear some of your thoughts on reality and our world, as I have come to realise there are some very intelligent people here. Not sure if this belongs in spirituality but seemed the best choice.

Thanks,

Sangfroid
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    03 May '07 01:51
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    Is what we experience on a daily basis real? Are the objects sat on my desk in front of me, my computer real? Are all of you out there who read this and reply real? Could it not just be my mind responding to electrical stimulation in effect creating everything just in my head?

Are we not the cause then of our universe? Why can I not change my world by t ...[text shortened]... . Not sure if this belongs in spirituality but seemed the best choice.

Thanks,

Sangfroid
    I'm not one of these intelligent people you talk about but I'll weigh in on the topic anyway.

The reality of our world can never be definitively proved. At least, I don't think it can. But we operate on a sort of compact or agreement if you like, which is that we assume that world is real, because there seem to be other people who have similar experiences to our own.
    These other people could of course be imaginary, but it makes sense for us to assume that they are not.
    I guess there might some people with mental problems who choose not to agree to this compact, and choose to believe that everything around them is imaginary. (Is that a mental problem in itself?)

As for thoughts being electrical processes and therefore able to be recorded and measured - we assume that to be the case, but we can never know it for sure. For us to measure these things requires using the tools out in the world, tools which themselves might be imaginary.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 May '07 05:44

Are we not the cause then of our universe? Why can I not change my world by t ...[text shortened]... . Not sure if this belongs in spirituality but seemed the best choice.

Thanks,

Sangfroid
    We can not rule out the possibility that our experience of reality is a deception. But there is absolutely no reason to believe that is the case.
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 06:56

Thanks,

Sangfroid
    First .. put down the bong.

And now, the answer .. It don't matter.

If it seems real, that's close enough IMO and you gotta just run with it .. at least until you're able to change that reality somehow.

Maybe smoke another one and create a different universe.

Look out for that red lump of matter .. or is it blue? ... damn! don't Bogart that thing dude.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 May '07 08:47
    What do you mean when you use the word 'real'?

You seem to accept that your mind is real without question. That seems strange considering that you doubt everything else.

If what we observe is indistinguishable from whatever you define as 'reality' then is there a difference?
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:36

Thanks,

Sangfroid
    When a tree falls down in a forest and there is noone in earshot....does that tree make a noise!!!!! 😛
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:462 edits
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    When a tree falls down in a forest and there is noone in earshot....does that tree make a noise!!!!! 😛
    Thump

Yes, it does! The real question, however, is does it matter? I am sure it does to the tree. 😕
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:50
    Well that depends on your definition for the word 'noise'. It certainly makes a sound.
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well that depends on your definition for the word 'noise'. It certainly makes a sound.
    But does it???? if noone is around to hear it !!!!!
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Thump

Yes, it does! The real question, however, is does it matter? I am sure it does to the tree. 😕
    It matters to Sangfroid !!!
  11. Inside my mind
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:00
    Ok I guess what I am trying to say is how do I know that this physical 3D world is not all created in my mind? If there is a giant tree somewhere does it only exist when someone is observing it?

Descarte: Cognito ergo sum.
    I think therefore I am.
    Logically it proves that I exist but nothing else nor whether my existence is a physical reality.

Once I dreamed I was a butterfly,
    Or am I really a butterfly dreaming I am a man?
    Chuang Tzu

I guess this link can explain better my own rambling thoughts.
    http://www.bigissueground.com/philosophy/ash-physicalworld.shtml
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:05
    Ok I guess what I am trying to say is how do I know that this physical 3D world is not all created in my mind? If there is a giant tree somewhere does it only exist when someone is observing it?

Descarte: Cognito ergo sum.
    I think therefore I am.
    Logically it proves that I exist but nothing else nor whether my existence is a physical reality.

Once ...[text shortened]... tter my own rambling thoughts.
    http://www.bigissueground.com/philosophy/ash-physicalworld.shtml
    "I think therefore i am" says it all really.....................
  13. Inside my mind
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:101 edit
    "I think therefore i am" says it all really.....................
    It says I am, not everything else around me, or even you are. What if I don't think, do I stop existing?

EDIT: a stone doesn't think but that exists or does it only exist because I think it exists
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:11
    It says I am, not everything else around me, or even you are. What if I don't think, do I stop existing?
    Yes...too stop thinking...must mean your dead...right?....
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:12

EDIT: a stone doesn't think but that exists or does it only exist because I think it exists
    If you can touch the stone,pick it up,feel it,throw it....then yep...it must exsist...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree