1. CA, USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 16:27
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    Ok I guess what I am trying to say is how do I know that this physical 3D world is not all created in my mind? If there is a giant tree somewhere does it only exist when someone is observing it?

Descarte: Cognito ergo sum.
    I think therefore I am.
    Logically it proves that I exist but nothing else nor whether my existence is a physical reality.

Once ...[text shortened]... tter my own rambling thoughts.
    http://www.bigissueground.com/philosophy/ash-physicalworld.shtml
    First, you need to get laid or in a fight.
    Maybe both at once.

You're so self-absorbed and egotistical you're lost.
    Get out of the house. Go for a long run or at least a walk. Keep running/walking until something occures to you other than yourself.

Here's an idea .. do a random act of kindness. Actually think of someone other than yourself.
    Try.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    04 May '07 03:25
    If you don't think that you actually exsist run out in front of a car or jump off a building then see what happens!! 🙂

Manny
  3. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    04 May '07 07:031 edit
    The current definitions of reality refer to how experiences determine one’s reality, the state of being in existence, the state of the world as one would want it to be, or “the quality possessed by something that is real.” (Miller) All of those definitions are viable interpretations of reality, but they are all incomplete as reality is subjective since one’s consciousness forms one’s reality. Reality is what exists in the natural world, or what somebody perceives to exist. Reality coalesces from sensations; sensations subsequently form perceptions. As one perceives, one is conscious. Therefore, reality entails of what one chooses to be one’s reality.

Reality is subjective since we can choose what we sense. People may choose to touch a burning hot stove, see the world blind or with rose-tinted glasses, taste a savory, juicy filet mignon or hear the melodious tones of a nightingale. Perhaps people may sense these things against their will, but they choose to place themselves in a situation where they may sense such things. In essence, one may alter one’s sensory experience, leading to different perceptions of nature, culminating in an altered reality. Reality refers to how experiences determine how entities appear to somebody. (Miller) But the brain creates reality, and sensory experience is merely a role player aiding the brain in forming reality. Reality is a construct of the brain and exists as a result of being conscious. In essence, the brain is the architect of reality as sensory experience merely refers to stimuli, which is then interpreted by the brain to form a reality.

Reality may refer to the actual state of existence of an entity. (Miller) However, merely because an object exists does not make that object part of somebody’s reality. Anything outside one’s experience but still exists cannot be considered part of one’s reality. For instance, somebody cannot invent a new color that has not been already seen; certainly one may create a hybrid color based on one’s experience of color, yet one cannot invent something outside one’s experience. Humans may not be able to detect various electromagnetic waves, such as microwaves, with the naked eye, but that does not mean that such waves do not give off a color; a person could only deduce that the human eye cannot see the wave and not infer about the existence of such a wave.

Additionally, reality may refer to the quality possessed by something that is real. (Miller) Real, or tangible, entities have observable characteristics; such entities may be detected in the natural world. Tangible entities consist of only those in the natural world; it is not possible to sense anything beyond the natural world, or what can be sensed by humankind. For instance, people may achieve altered states of consciousness, but an altered state of consciousness does not imply a connection with the supernatural. Therefore, one may deduce that it is impossible within natural experience to detect the supernatural, although the supernatural, as with any entity, is simply a construct of the human mind; without consciousness, neither the natural world, nor the construct of a supernatural being could exist.

Reality refers to the actual state of the world than the state of the world from a biased or idealistic perspective. (Miller) An objective definition of reality would be inclusive of all perceptions of reality. Everybody has a different sensory experience, so we will all form our own perceptions of the world. And a human’s perception will never be fully objective as a person’s experience can never entail of a complete understanding of the world as nobody will ever completely experience the world.

Reality refers to choice; specifically reality refers to the choice to believe whatever one wants to believe is real. Yet the concept of choice is utterly nonexistent in the current definitions of reality. Hence a broader definition of reality is necessary to incorporate what reality really is for all conscious beings. How something appears to somebody, whether something actually exists or how somebody perceives an existing entity is somewhat irrelevant when considering reality. Reality is whatever what one chooses to believe it is.

Inaccurate perceptions of reality have negative repercussions. Much conflict in the world exists as a result of a deficiency in consciousness of people with diametrically opposing viewpoints. Thus humanity must strive towards integral consciousness in order for organized society to thrive. Given the sophisticated level of war technology, those in power must maintain an objective, responsible view of the current situation in the world. Otherwise, the consequences for human life could be devastating. The perception of reality of those in power may have profound implications. It is imperative that humankind maintains a clear perspective on reality so that people never take illogical measures, such as those that could precipitate another world war.

Considering all perspectives of various issues would be arduous, and it is not necessary to do so in order to develop a perception of what reality should be, congruent with an acceptable perspective of reality. One merely has to use objective judgment and thinking to make wise decisions in the best interest for oneself, but also for the common good.

I am not going to tell anybody what to believe or what not to believe. It is highly conceivable that I could be mistaken in my beliefs as I am not fully informed about any topic. Regardless, at the end of one’s life, perhaps what one believes may seem meaningless. Yet decisions that one makes may critically impact the lives of others as decisions are often based on one’s beliefs. It is the decision of the conscious being to discern what has meaning. Everybody has to choose their own reality.

Source for "reality" definition:
    Miller, George, et al. Lexical Database for the English Language. “WordNet Search.”
    http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=reality

P.S. People shouldn’t give credence to this sort of fantasy.
    Matrix (Part 5)…Doesn’t get interesting until 4 minutes in…
    YouTube
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    04 May '07 07:30
    Originally posted by Yuga
    The current definitions of reality refer to how experiences determine one’s reality, the state of being in existence, the state of the world as one would want it to be, or “the quality possessed by something that is real.” (Miller) All of those definitions are viable interpretations of reality, but they are all incomplete as reality is subjective since one’s c ...[text shortened]... art 5)…Doesn’t get interesting until 4 minutes in…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhREnRqTFM
    Was there a thesis in there anywhere? If so, what did you intend it to be?
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    04 May '07 08:371 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Was there a thesis in there anywhere? If so, what did you intend it to be?
    It was simply a subjective viewpoint on reality. I used some of the material that I have written here for a fairly recent English paper. The focus of the paper pertains to the use of the term "reality" itself. I consider the current definitions of reality, which lack the element of choice in the definition. But I state that people choose their reality; I used the words “choice” and “choose” many times in that paper and reiterated the idea that people “choose their reality” on a few occasions. I intentionally avoided the concept of free will, which is somewhat relevant with “choice”, but irrelevant for purposes of the paper.

Further, I emphasize that people should work toward a collective consciousness. I attempted to integrate concepts of reality with consciousness. Not difficult to do because how we form our reality is somewhat based on our consciousness. I generally base my arguments around consciousness when it is feasible to do so because I have avidly studied consciousness.

In my recent writing, [forum posts, papers, etc], including this post, I have alluded to the irrationality of people’s thinking. And I did, somewhat insidiously, elaborate on what I consider rational and irrational in the English paper, even regarding spirituality. Bad things happen when people do not think rationally or when they do not strive towards integral consciousness. Even so, irrational thinking isn’t always so bad; for instance, I am sometimes happy when my chess opponents play illogically, thus making my chess look good. But that is another story.
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 May '07 10:07
    Originally posted by menace71
    If you don't think that you actually exsist run out in front of a car or jump off a building then see what happens!! 🙂

Manny
    You will cease to exsist....😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree