1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:502 edits
    Some things reported in the March issue of Freethought Today:

1. Less than half of Britons believe in God. According to a new survey, less than half of all Britons now believe in God - a sharp drop from the three-quarters of the population avowing belief in 1968. Fully 35% said they did not believe in God. More than a third of young people describe themsleves as either agnostics or atheists. Only 44% of Brits believe in god, a majority entertain no belief in life after death, only a third believe in heaven and even fewer in hell and the devil, and 68% would prefer not to be married in a place of worship. (Source: Agence France-Press, Dec. 27, 2004).

2. UK among most secular nations. More than a quarter of Brits think the world would be more peaceful if nobody believed in God, only 19% would be willing to die for their god, and 33% do not believe in a god or higher power. A quarter of Britons never pray. (Source: BBC News, Feb. 26, 2005).

3. Losing faith in France. The population of French priests is so old that half of them are expected to die off in the next 8 years. Catholic congregations are disappearing as France becomes secularized. (Source: BBC News, Jan. 7, 2005).

4. Canadians give up religion. Half of the adult Canadian population now believes that regular attendance at religious services provides no benefit to Canadian society. In British Columbia and Quebec, fully 60% found no benefit. Only 29% of Canadians say religion is a very important part of their lives. (Source: Environs Research Group, telephone survey, Globe and Mail, Sept. 10, 2004).

5. Hear it for secular Europeans. While 82% of Americans say God is very important to them, less than 20% of Europeans make such statements. (Source: Utne Reader, Sept-Oct 2004).
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:571 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Some things reported in the March issue of [b]Freethought Today:

1. Less than half of Britons believe in God. According to a new survey, less than half of all Britons now believe in God - a sharp drop from the three-quarters ...[text shortened]... opeans make such statements. (Source: Utne Reader, Sept-Oct 2004).[/b]
    "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was. But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2nd Timothy 3:1-17

God knew this would happen. Any surprise?

3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:58
    Originally posted by Darfius
    "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. [b]For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of p ...[text shortened]... hed unto all good works." 2nd Timothy 3:1-17

Nothing you say surprises me anymore, Darfius.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:59
    Nothing you say surprises me anymore, Darfius.
    Read the quote please. I'd like a comment on how men living during a time when atheism was unheard of knew that most of the world would be atheists.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:062 edits
    Some things reported in the March issue of [b]Freethought Today:

1. Less than half of Britons believe in God. According to a new survey, less than half of all Britons now believe in God - a sharp drop from the three-quarters ...[text shortened]... opeans make such statements. (Source: Utne Reader, Sept-Oct 2004).[/b]
    In another thread (long gone to the “bottom&rdquo😉 you said some things to Omnislash along the lines of humans making their own meaning and rich experiences in life. I think the thread essentially died before you could respond to my second post, in which I tried to explain that I thought spirituality could be part of that, and that I thought you dismissed “placebo effects” a bit too quickly. Two questions:

1) Is your position (after atheism) along the lines of the existentialists (e.g. Ortega y Gasset: “Man [sic] is the only animal that needs to ‘create himself’.”

2) Why cannot a spirituality (without self-deception) be a deep aesthetic part of that project?
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:08
    Thank God for that!
  7. Cosmos
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:10
    "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. [b]For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of p ...[text shortened]... hed unto all good works." 2nd Timothy 3:1-17

I got news for you Darfius:

Everyone was an atheist long before some arrogant morons dreamt up the idea that God created us in his image! (thereby creating religion)
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:371 edit
    "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreaker ...[text shortened]... d Timothy 3:1-17

[/b]
    So Darfius...does this mean that these are "the last times"?

Are there any other Biblical predictions you'd like to make before they occur? How long are these "last times" going to be before the 'end'? What form with this end take?

You think those who live godly in Christ Jesus are suffering persecution? How about Jews and Muslims? Does the Bible predict that they shall suffer worse persecution than Christians?

These 'predictions' are pretty weak.
  9. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:52

Good post Darfius....and a good rebuttal to mister God-hater 😉
  10. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:53
    Originally posted by howardgee
    I got news for you Darfius:

Everyone was an atheist long before some arrogant morons dreamt up the idea that God created us in his image! (thereby creating religion)
    What a weak reply, howard.....are you losing it?
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:551 edit
    Reason is winning ..... lol ......

Ignorance is winning !

EDIT: To see Rwingo post in a "spirituality" forum is hilarious. There is nothing spiritual about you .... except the booze you drink .....
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:56
    Originally posted by vistesd
    In another thread (long gone to the “bottom&rdquo😉 you said some things to Omnislash along the lines of humans making their own meaning and rich experiences in life. I think the thread essentially died before you could respond to my second post, in which I tried to explain that I thought spirituality could be part of that, and that I thought you dismissed “place ...[text shortened]... Why cannot a spirituality (without self-deception) be a deep aesthetic part of that project?
    I don't know anything about Ortega y Gasset. I cannot answer your question.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 02:57
    Read the quote please. I'd like a comment on how men living during a time when atheism was unheard of knew that most of the world would be atheists.
    I will not waste my time by reading the quote. Atheism was not unheard of during that time.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 03:00
    I will not waste my time by reading the quote. Atheism was not unheard of during that time.

Why do you initiate this thread then ?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 03:02
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Why do you initiate this thread then ?
    If somebody wants to debate, then that's fine. I have no interest in reading passages cut and pasted from the bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree