1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 03:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You atheists just thow whole pies in peoples face. I've seen it on TV.

The Instructor
    Water/pies...why throw/thow anything in anyone's face? Seems a bit antagonistic. All you need is love.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 04:541 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Water/pies...why throw/thow anything in anyone's face? Seems a bit antagonistic. All you need is love.
    Water cleanses. Pies in the face makes one dirty. You need love first, but that is not all that is needed. All you need is love is merely a song.

The Instructor
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 11:25
    I thought you needed fear first.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 12:24
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Alright then,

Succinctly, what are your top three questions?
    1. What specifically would I have to do to become an Atheist today?

2. Who is the founder or leader of Atheism and how do I learn more about Atheism and that person?

3. If, after I become an Atheist, someone says, "Hey Bobby, we heard you're a devout Atheist now; why did Atheism let the recent tragedy in the Philippines happen?" What do I tell him or her? Thanks, GK. This conversation means a lot to me.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 12:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

2. Who is the founder or leader of Atheism and how do I learn more about Atheism and that person?

3. If, after I become an Atheist, someone says, "Hey Bobby, we heard you're a devout Atheist now; why did Atheism let the recent tragedy in the Philippines happen?" What do I tell him or her? Thanks, GK. This conversation means a lot to me.
    1) You have to not believe in the existence of gods. Nothing more to it.

2) There is no founder - although I'm sure there is someone who coined the term atheism for the first time. There is also no leader. Does that bother you? Do you need to be led? Atheism isn't a school of thought nor is it a philosophy. You don't need books or literature to keep up to date with the latest findings and viewpoints in atheism. You certainly don't need someone to tell you you're an atheist.

3) Atheism doesn't make tragedies happen. Atheism isn't a person and isn't led by a person or being. Atheism is a lack of a belief in gods. A lack of belief in gods doesn't cause tragedies to happen. Tragedies happen because our world isn't a paradise that was made to supply human's every need. We call what happened in the Philippines a tragedy*. For earth, it was just another day.

*At least I do. Based on what you've said before, you might refer to that storm as "awe-inspiring perfect timing".
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 15:04

First it's atheist. No capital A... Unless it's at the beginning of a sentence.
    [Note: some organisations have atheist capitalised in their name but that's because its
    the name of the organisation.]

Second. An atheist is a person who lacks a belief in the existence of gods.
    So all you have to do to become an atheist, is stop believing that a god or gods exist.

There is no 'Founder or Leader' of atheism. However there are all kinds of resources available
    if you genuinely wanted to know more about atheism.
    "The Atheist Experience" tv show broadcast in Austin Tx and on the web
    http://www.atheist-experience.com/
    might be good place to go.
    also there are American Atheists: http://www.atheists.org/about-us
    And Atheist Alliance International: http://www.atheistalliance.org/about-aai

These organisations mainly exist because of discrimination and persecution of atheists by both individuals
    and governments around the world, and thus tend towards activism on behalf of atheists.
    They also tend to support and provide what promotion of atheism there is, both to provide
    theists more information about atheists, and to increase the number of atheists.

Atheism itself is incredibly simple. As I outlined above, it is simply the lack of belief in gods.

However WHY people do, and people should, lack a belief in gods. Or even have a belief in the
    lack of gods, is a more complicated subject. And there are many resources on the arguments used
    and the evidence available on both sides, for those that are interested.

Many, and probably most people who lack a belief in gods, and who are thus atheists, are not
    activists and simply get on with their lives not even thinking about the fact that they don't believe
    in gods. Peoples view of atheism is thus often skewed by the fact that the only people they
    notice who are atheists are the activists.

First... No such thing as a devout atheist.
    Atheism is not a religion, it requires no beliefs.

Atheism is also not a thing, it doesn't do anything.
    Atheism is the collective label for the people who lack a belief in gods.

However, unlike your imaginary god which is reputed to have the ability to control the weather.
    If we did have weather control powers we WOULD have stopped the typhoon from killing people.

There are also atheist fund-raising efforts to help support those that are left (as you can see on the
    atheist international main page atm).

As for your supposed question.
    You can tell the person asking you that atheism is no more responsible for the disaster than a-santaclausianism
    or a-easterbunnyism or a-teapotinspaceism.
    You can tell them that atheists are a hugely diverse group of people who lack belief in gods for a huge variety
    of reasons, some rational and some irrational, and who's only real common denominator is the lack of belief in gods.

Of course if you were actually an atheist, and you were asked that question, you would probably discover that
    the person asking it already had preconceived ideas about what atheism was. Ans was not interested in doing anything
    other than try to convert you to whatever religion they believed in without ever listening to your answers.

At that point you might realise how it feels to be an atheist surrounded by theists.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 15:10
    [b]Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum: 2013 Poll

Format of Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural,
    religion, and the life after." -Russ This public forum is by far the most active on the site. Why?

1) People enjoy debating (for its own sake)?

2) People like to discuss supernatural phenomena?
    ...[text shortened]... mote a particular religion?

4) People are concerned about their eternal destiny?

5) Other?[/b]
    It is good to have a healthy debate. Personally i enjoy this.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 20:131 edit

1) You have to not believe in the existence of gods. Nothing more to it.

2) There is no founder - although I'm sure there is someone who coined the term atheism for the first time. There is also no leader. Does that bother you? Do you need to be led? Atheism isn't a school of thought nor is it a philosophy. You don't need books or literature to k ...[text shortened]... sed on what you've said before, you might refer to that storm as "awe-inspiring perfect timing".
    "1) You have to not believe in the existence of gods. Nothing more to it."

> I'm surprised; 'not believing' sounds much too easy, so easy that anyone could do it. Are you sure that's all?

"2) There is no founder - although I'm sure there is someone who coined the term atheism for the first time. There is also no leader. Does that bother you? Do you need to be led?"

> If you say it's true, I believe you. At Northeastern University in Boston I needed guidance from my professors. With Colgate Palmolive and AT&T's Advanced Information Systems Group, I definitely needed informed mentoring and benefited from many years of first class manufacturing, distribution, marketing and sales executive leadership. During my sixteen month sabbatical from Red Hot Pawn, due to an unexplained paralysis, I definitely needed the leadership of my dedicated Physical Therapists (Shelia, John and Teresa). Learning the basics of chess at the age of nine from my Uncle Len and then in my twenties learning advanced strategies and tactics from my elderly mentors E.M. Reubens, Ben Landy, Kermit Pransky, Tigran Schaack and Edmund Brown were both chapters of my life when informed leadership made a significance difference. I've learned to accept authority and speak truth to power. In the spiritual realm, for decades I've accepted the authority and leadership of my pastor/teacher. With Atheism, I'm ignorant; at the moment, I need your leadership. Otherwise, I've led.

"3) Atheism doesn't make tragedies happen. Atheism isn't a person and isn't led by a person or being. Atheism is a lack of a belief in gods. A lack of belief in gods doesn't cause tragedies to happen."

> So, Atheism defines an anonymous category of human beings who don't believe anything or make anything happen?

4) Does becoming an Atheist result in major changes in a new convert's values and perspective toward Non-Atheists?

5) In times of national or personal adversity and disaster, does Atheism provide objectivity and strength of character?

6) If I become an Atheist, would someone have to teach me traditional expectations of behavior and principles to apply?

Thanks to you, Great King Rat, I'm beginning to understand the outline of Atheism. May I ask additional questions? -Bob
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 20:18
    Originally posted by googlefudge

First it's atheist. No capital A... Unless it's at the beginning of a sentence.
    [Note: some organisations have atheist capitalised in their name but that's because its
    the name of the organisation.]

Second. An atheist is a person who lacks a belief in the e ...[text shortened]... answers.

At that point you might realise how it feels to be an atheist surrounded by theists.
    "At that point you might realise how it feels to be an atheist surrounded by theists." -googlefudge

And how does that feel?
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 21:06
    "At that point you might realise how it feels to be an atheist surrounded by theists." -googlefudge

And how does that feel?
    A bit like the nerdy kid in a high school whose social culture celebrates athletics over academics?

Not there haven't been extremely intelligent and educated advocates for theism on here. But I sometimes suspect that they also feel a bit like that nerdy kid.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    A bit like the nerdy kid in a high school whose social culture celebrates athletics over academics?

Not there haven't been extremely intelligent and educated advocates for theism on here. But I sometimes suspect that they also feel a bit like that nerdy kid.
    "A bit like the nerdy kid in a high school whose social culture celebrates athletics over academics?

Not there haven't been extremely intelligent and educated advocates for theism on here. But I sometimes suspect that they also [feel] a bit like that nerdy kid." -vistesd

"But I sometimes suspect that they also [feel] a bit like that nerdy kid." -vistesd

May I ask if atheism depends on 'feeling', i.e., emotion, for its conviction, organic integrity and proselytizing fervor?
  12. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 07:21
    [b]Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum: 2013 Poll

Format of Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural,
    religion, and the life after." -Russ This public forum is by far the most active on the site. Why?

1) People enjoy debating (for its own sake)?

2) People like to discuss supernatural phenomena?
    ...[text shortened]... mote a particular religion?

4) People are concerned about their eternal destiny?

5) Other?[/b]
    3) People want to promote a particular religion?

Evangelical proseletysing, blindly following one's own beliefs. Reason is the baby thrown out with the bath water.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 07:341 edit
    May I ask if atheism depends on 'feeling', i.e., emotion, for its conviction, organic integrity and proselytizing fervor?
    I find it interesting just how deaf you are. You ask a series of questions then get some answer then ask more questions that clearly demonstrate that you didn't read the previous answers. I am never quite sure if you are serious, or just trolling.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 07:55
    I thought you needed fear first.
    Fear of the Lord comes before wisdom.

The Instructor
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 09:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I find it interesting just how deaf you are. You ask a series of questions then get some answer then ask more questions that clearly demonstrate that you didn't read the previous answers. I am never quite sure if you are serious, or just trolling.
    "I am never quite sure if you are serious, or just trolling." -twhitehead

Please allow for stylistic differences of expression in others; I'm as serious here as if participating in invasive brain surgery without anesthesia. Thanks for reading and replying to my stuff. I'll make it a point to pay closer attention to yours. -Bob

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree