Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. 29 Jun '18 02:00
    "Redeemed"
    by Big Daddy Weave

    I don't know how to attach a link, but wanted to share this song with those that may be interested.

    "Cause I'm not who I used to be".....I am redeemed".

    Enjoy.
  2. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    29 Jun '18 02:41
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    "Redeemed"
    by Big Daddy Weave
    YouTube : Redeemed
  3. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    29 Jun '18 09:37
    Originally posted by @fmf
    [youtube Redeemed]VzGAYNKDyIU[/youtube]
    Thank you.
  4. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    29 Jun '18 09:40
    Nice song
  5. 01 Jul '18 16:55
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    "Redeemed"
    by Big Daddy Weave

    I don't know how to attach a link, but wanted to share this song with those that may be interested.

    "Cause I'm not who I used to be".....I am redeemed".

    Enjoy.
    Great lyrics to this song, by the way.

    Once a person repents, turns to God with sincerity, and desires to please Him, then great things can happen.

    Doing good works is a result of the Holy Spirit working within us, because we have invited him in.

    I recently read for the first time in the Bible that the Holy Spirit is referenced with a pronoun...him. I guess I never thought about it too much previously.
  6. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    01 Jul '18 18:43
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Great lyrics to this song, by the way.

    Once a person repents, turns to God with sincerity, and desires to please Him, then great things can happen.

    Doing good works is a result of the Holy Spirit working within us, because we have invited him in.

    I recently read for the first time in the Bible that the Holy Spirit is referenced with a pronoun...him. I guess I never thought about it too much previously.
    Bob, an atheist, and Dug, a theist, both run into a burning building and each saves a stranger from the flames. - Now, you say 'doing good works is a result of the Holy Spirit working within us,' so are you alleging that both Bob and Dug were motivated to good works by the Holy Spirit or just Dug? (And if so, what motivated Bob? )

    The trouble with the whole 'Holy Spirit working within us' malarky is that every day non-believers do good works of their own volition, and yes, some theists are lacking in this area.
  7. 01 Jul '18 19:04
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Bob, an atheist, and Dug, a theist, both run into a burning building and each saves a stranger from the flames. - Now, you say 'doing good works is a result of the Holy Spirit working within us,' so are you alleging that both Bob and Dug were motivated to good works by the Holy Spirit or just Dug? (And if so, what motivated Bob? )

    The trouble wit ...[text shortened]... n-believers do good works of their own volition, and yes, some theists are lacking in this area.
    I understand your point.

    The issue of atheism and good morals has been debated here before, as well as theists not having good morals.

    It's not my intention to say that atheists cannot be 'good people'. Although for some, like myself, making a decision to repent, change my ways, and make every effort to be obedient to God is necessary to righteous living.

    I don't seem to do that well when left to 'myself', and tend to live selfishly as a result.
  8. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    01 Jul '18 20:29
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    I understand your point.

    The issue of atheism and good morals has been debated here before, as well as theists not having good morals.

    It's not my intention to say that atheists cannot be 'good people'. Although for some, like myself, making a decision to repent, change my ways, and make every effort to be obedient to God is necessary to righteous li ...[text shortened]... .

    I don't seem to do that well when left to 'myself', and tend to live selfishly as a result.
    I sometimes go 10 pin bowling with my nephews. I'm pretty good at bowling straight, but to help my nephews do the same we utilize those side barriers that prevent the bowling ball going out of play.

    Some people can, of their own accord, 'bowl straight' when it comes to righteous living and some people need those side barriers to keep on the straight and narrow. If God operates as a side barrier for you then that's a good thing and I make no judgment on that.
  9. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    01 Jul '18 20:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    The trouble with the whole 'Holy Spirit working within us' malarky is that every day non-believers do good works of their own volition, and yes, some theists are lacking in this area.
    The down side of Free Will and all.

    Naturally, some of the humans on this planet will take the path of self over others. In my experience, this is a common choice among those who already have more than those 'others'.

    Just like any other choice, though, there are consequences, some known, some unforeseen.
  10. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    01 Jul '18 21:19
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Bob, an atheist, and Dug, a theist, both run into a burning building and each saves a stranger from thbe flames. - Now, you say 'doing good works is a result of the Holy Spirit working within us,' so are you alleging that both Bob and Dug were motivated to good works by the Holy Spirit or just Dug? (And if so, what motivated Bob? )

    The trouble wi ...[text shortened]... n-believers do good works of their own volition, and yes, some theists are lacking in this area.
    No one I know says only those with the Holy Spirit can do a good work. This is a highlighted fact in scripture.
  11. 01 Jul '18 21:25
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    No one I know says only those with the Holy Spirit can do a good work. This is a highlighted fact in scripture.
    Are you then approving Rajk999's assertion that an atheist is quite capable of doing good works and will therefore go to Heaven?
  12. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    04 Jul '18 06:59
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    The down side of Free Will and all.

    Naturally, some of the humans on this planet will take the path of self over others. In my experience, this is a common choice among those who already have more than those 'others'.

    Just like any other choice, though, there are consequences, some known, some unforeseen.
    Free will, of course, could just be validation that God doesn't exist.
  13. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    04 Jul '18 08:30
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Are you then approving Rajk999's assertion that an atheist is quite capable of doing good works and will therefore go to Heaven?
    No, not at all it isn't good works that cleans us from our sins.
  14. Standard member Rajk999
    Enjoying
    04 Jul '18 11:03
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    No, not at all it isn't good works that cleans us from our sins.
    Your understanding of the doctrine of Christ and the Apostles is very shallow.

    Jesus cleanses people from their sins.
    Those who profess faith get Christ's Spirit
    The Spirit of Christ is is words and his teachings
    Those who follow Christ teachings live in righteousness
    They will inherit the Kingdom of God
    Some do not follow Christ and they will inherit damnation.

    Your claim that you are automatically righteous and you will do good works, because you THINK you have the Spirit of Christ is just plain nonsense and unbiblical
  15. Standard member dj2becker
    rentrer à la maison
    04 Jul '18 11:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Your understanding of the doctrine of Christ and the Apostles is very shallow.

    Jesus cleanses people from their sins.
    Those who profess faith get Christ's Spirit
    The Spirit of Christ is is words and his teachings
    Those who follow Christ teachings live in righteousness
    They will inherit the Kingdom of God
    Some do not follow Christ and they will inher ...[text shortened]... ood works, because you THINK you have the Spirit of Christ is just plain nonsense and unbiblical
    Do you believe it is possible for someone to follow the teachings of Christ perfectly on their own accord with no supernatural intervention?