1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 07:031 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why do you describe it as pseudo-Christianity? Or is that how you describe all Christianity that isn't your preferred denomination? Or is it a term you reserve for the former beliefs of those that have left the religion? Are you perhaps claiming that Real Christians (tm) can never leave the faith?
    Reasonable questions, twhitehead. Here are some quick responses:

1. Much of what passes for Christianity today would have totally shocked the early church, not to mention the disciples of Jesus, hence pseudo. Many books have been written about this, e.g. Richard Rohr, CS Lewis, et al. Prime exibit: Donald Trump!

2. I do not have a preferred denomination. And it may be that some groups are closer to the original message of Christ than others. Look for love, compassion, care for each other and for the poor and needy. In fact, look for the gospel! True Christianity is these things, not majoring on being Born Again and then living a life of pride, greed, criticism and all the normal socially acceptable virtues.

3. I don't subscribe to the OSAS concept that has been discussed here at nauseum, because it is premised on a concept of Once Saved, which is a point in time. I believe in salvation as a process, a continual path of growth and transformation. Of course people can, and do, leave this path if they perceive it to be too difficult.
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 08:12
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    No, FMF is not an atheist.
    Sorry, then my mistake. I seem to remember him describing himself as one, but I may be wrong.

Care to clarify, FMF?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 08:171 edit
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Sorry, then my mistake. I seem to remember him describing himself as one, but I may be wrong.

Care to clarify, FMF?
    Perhaps you could call me a deist. Or an agnostic theist, perhaps.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    And what does whether you think I am "gracious" or not have to with whether you think I am a Muslim or not?
    Absolutely nothing.

Why did you conflate the two? I certainly didn't.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:40
    From the sidelines - this was a rather strange interlude.

From none of FMF's posts have I ever detected any hidden sign that he may be a muslim. Where did that come from?

From what we know he is an atheist convert from pseudo-Christianity, or at least from the Christianity that was practiced by those around him when he made that choice.
    I posted 'where that came from'.

Do you think I'm lying?

Converts come 'from' anything 'to' anything.

I didn't ask what he believed previously. I asked about the here and now. We've been over the 'previously'. It has practically nothing in common with the 'now'.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:461 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you could call me a deist. Or an agnostic theist, perhaps.
    Believing in a god that has zero to do with humans.

That is what led me down the road to Islam.

Muslims also believe that God has not revealed Himself, other than to Muhammed, and that revelation only through Gabriel. Christians believe in a fully interactive God. Muslims, not so much.

For those who don't want to go back to the first time I explained it, which was only a page ago.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:52
    3. I don't subscribe to the OSAS concept that has been discussed here at nauseum, because it is premised on a concept of Once Saved, which is a point in time. I believe in salvation as a process, a continual path of growth and transformation. Of course people can, and do, leave this path if they perceive it to be too difficult.
    "OSAS" is a name for a concept not well understood by those who call it this. A name used by those who wish to bash Christianity. By those who don't understand Christianity as well as they think they do.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Believing in a god that has zero to do with humans.

That is what led me down the road to Islam.

Muslims also believe that God has not revealed Himself, other than to Muhammed, and that revelation only through Gabriel. Christians believe in a fully interactive God. Muslims, not so much.

For those who don't want to go back to the first time I explained it.
    I am not a Muslim, Suzianne. I've written more than 30,000 posts on this Spirituality Forum. I would surely have mentioned that I was a Muslim if I were one.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not a Muslim, Suzianne. I've written more than 30,000 posts on this Spirituality Forum. I would surely have mentioned that I was a Muslim if I were one.
    So you say.

Why rehash this?

Why infer that I don't believe what you say? That IS your inference, is it not?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:56
    FMF: And what does whether you think I am "gracious" or not have to with whether you think I am a Muslim or not?

Absolutely nothing.

Why did you conflate the two? I certainly didn't.
    You were trying to land some sort petty little blow involving the words "Muslim" and "gracious" on the previous page. People can go back and see if they can figure out what you were on about.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:58
    So you say.

Why rehash this?

Why infer that I don't believe what you say? That IS your inference, is it not?
    Huh? Why "rehash" it? Only a page ago you said this: "I will ask you, flat out, just so that all can see it on record: Are you a Muslim? Converted or otherwise? I imagine you'll say no, but that may or may not be the truth.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 09:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    You were trying to land some sort petty little blow involving the words "Muslim" and "gracious" on the previous page. People can go back and see if they can figure out what you were on about.
    Says you.

Why do you attack me, even when you are not being attacked?

Surely that is YOUR posting style, not mine.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 10:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Huh? Why "rehash" it? Only a page ago you said this: [b]"I will ask you, flat out, just so that all can see it on record: Are you a Muslim? Converted or otherwise? I imagine you'll say no, but that may or may not be the truth.[/b]
    And you answered. Why bring it up again?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 10:00
    Says you. Why do you attack me, even when you are not being attacked? Surely that is YOUR posting style, not mine.
    Huh? Only a page ago you said: "Oh, come now. I wasn't born yesterday, and neither were you. Your forum combat techniques here are well-known. Obviously, being 'gracious' isn't one of them. But at least I don't expect that from you."
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 10:02
    And you answered. Why bring it up again?
    You seem distinctly uncomfortable with the things you yourself were saying only a page ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree