1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 02:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    This subject gets discussed ad naseum, so let me put a different spin on it.

Perhaps it is our ego that interprets God as having such exacting standards. Our own ego that assumes that, if we are made in God's image, then HE must be perfect, because WE are pretty damn special. It is inferring backwards, from chip to the block it came from.
    As far as I know, Christians believe man is special because "we" are made in his image; that man is superior to animals, because God gave man dominion.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 14:291 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    As far as I know, Christians believe man is special because "we" are made in his image; that man is superior to animals, because God gave man dominion.
    Why don't you also mention "image" ? Man was made in the image of God.

Let Us make man in Our image and according to Our likeness and let them have dominion ...

It is not just "Let us make man and let them have dominion ..."

God wanted man to express God's divine attributes within human virtues. He can give mere "dominion" to cock roaches. But they do not express the characteristics of God.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 15:291 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Why don't you also mention [b]"image" ? Man was made in the image of God.

Let Us make man in Our image and according to Our likeness and let them have dominion ...

It is not just "Let us make man and let them have dominion ..."

God wanted man to express God's divine attributes within human virtues. He can give mere "dominion" to cock roaches. But they do not express the characteristics of God.[/b]
    I believe he did mention image.

Edit: As an aside. Man evolved to acquire the image he has today. If man is truly in God's image, does that mean God also evolved?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 16:053 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I believe he did mention image.

Edit: As an aside. Man evolved to acquire the image he has today. If man is truly in God's image, does that mean God also evolved?
    I rechecked and saw this:

You correct me rightly. But notice the phrasing carefully.

that man is superior to animals, because God gave man dominion.

I was pointing out that just dominion is not what makes man superior to animals.

I also saw early in my Bible reading that though man was superior to the animals he was not SO superior that he was not one of them in many ways. He's on a higher plane yet also much sharing the same plane as the animals.

He's connected yet transcendent too - a marvelous scheme.

And if Adam had command of the animals think of how it must have hurt his feelings when the first big animal chased him, say, up a tree or out of its territory. That must have been a humbling blow to the ego.

"What happen to my dominion?" The lion couldn't give a flip, nor the elephant.

The fall of man must have been a humbling and even humiliating thing to get use to.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 17:20
    Originally posted by sonship

The fall of man must have been a humbling and even humiliating thing to get use to.
    A number of years ago I worked in a team where I was given senior status (but only on a temporary basis). As Manager I line managed staff and had my finger in pretty much every pie. I still remember that feeling of superiority and how differently people treated me, purely because of my senior position. (I was young and my ego easily massaged).

The fall though was a big one, when that temporary status came to an end. Very hard to readjust to that loss of superiority. - Just like the lion no longer fearing Adam, Joanne in accounting felt at liberty to use my calculator without asking. 🙁
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 23:451 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    A number of years ago I worked in a team where I was given senior status (but only on a temporary basis). As Manager I line managed staff and had my finger in pretty much every pie. I still remember that feeling of superiority and how differently people treated me, purely because of my senior position. (I was young and my ego easily massaged).

I know exactly what you mean.

i was in a hiring, firing, team leader status among programmers for a season. What struck me eventually was how I was no better. Things I reprimanded people for were things just as easy for me to do.

One guy, after I no longer occupied that position, let me know on subtle terms, that he didn't really respect me.

You cannot let position go to your head too much.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 23:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Dead people don't post.
    Maybe they should
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 23:56
    Originally posted by apathist
    Those who seek enlightenment, what would you have them do?
    Not try to reduce ego through negative, non-wholistic methods 🙂
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 00:00
    I would not have them do anything. I don't want to choose a spiritual path for others. I am just sharing some insights from my own path to see what people think about them.
    True that. If the words and ideas mean anything, they must have semblence in your own mind. Taking on others words without recourse to your own reflections of the logic,etc. of these words will only encounter robot-like symptoms
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 12:33
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Not try to reduce ego through negative, non-wholistic methods 🙂
    Nice. Without ego, why bother searching in the first place.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 00:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 20:161 edit
    This is something I don't see often discussed in this forum.

If there is one enemy of Spiritual Advancement, it is the ego. Ego makes us focus on being 'right' in an online debate instead of becoming enlightened. Ego makes us return any slight in kind instead of understanding that anger and malice is often suffering. Ego makes us focus only on our own needs in lieu of the greater community.
    Good post, BDP. I agree that this subject is seldom discussed.

Thomas Merton called the ego the False Self. Note: not the SINFUL self, or the BAD self, just not the True Self.

The apostle Paul referred to the ego as the Flesh, which was really unfortunate, because this is one of the reasons why Christianity, by and large, has equated Holiness with denouncing, and getting rid of, normal desires and cravings. But the True Self is that part of us which is in tune with god, in whatever form you imagine him or her to be.

All mature religions have at their core the concept of compassion, care for the Other and love. Spirutual seekers everywhere are (if anything) identified by a profound humility.

Unfortunately, this goes totally against the grain of Internet chat rooms and forums. Winning, scoring points, and humiliating the Other is at the order of the day, that is, alas, why you will not find many true seekers after spirituality on this thread!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 22:36
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Good post, BDP. I agree that this subject is seldom discussed.

Thomas Merton called the ego the False Self. Note: not the SINFUL self, or the BAD self, just not the True Self.

The apostle Paul referred to the ego as the Flesh, which was really unfortunate, because this is one of the reasons why Christianity, by and large, has equated Holiness with den ...[text shortened]... e day, that is, alas, why you will not find many true seekers after spirituality on this thread!
    Good to see you posting again, CalJust. 🙂
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 09:351 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Good to see you posting again, CalJust. 🙂
    Thanks, FMF.

Yeah, I got disillusioned with the SF - I found that atheists like you made more sense more often than my so-called Christian brethren!

Fighting viciously about finer points of their specific interpretations of scripture, exactly what BDP said, and ignoring the major and critical issues facing us all today. Acceptance of each other, support and empathy, rather than scoring eclesiastical points. ☚ī¸

I wonder if any of the Christians here, in any post, have convinced an atheist of the merits of their cause?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 09:46
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Fighting viciously about finer points of their specific interpretations of scripture, exactly what BDP said, and ignoring the major and critical issues facing us all today. Acceptance of each other, support and empathy, rather than scoring eclesiastical points. ☚ī¸
    I think I know what you mean, although I find that it's some of the basic huge fundamental building blocks that are often fascinating as opposed to finer ecclesiastical points. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree