15 May '16 12:32
    Anyone here get a references from Jesus Himself, or did you get all
    Jesus said from men moved the Spirit of God who wrote things down
    about Jesus?

The Spirit of God has a few jobs that we were told about by men who
    related what Jesus said. Some were to tell us about Jesus and teach us,
    lead us and guild us.

So if the Spirit of God shares with us about Jesus and truth is that less
    than if someone quoted Jesus about any topic?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 May '16 12:58
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    about Jesus?

lead us and guild us.

I think I know what you're trying to say.

Whether Jesus says it in your very ear, or whether you read it or hear it read from the Bible, it all carries the same weight of absolute authority.

But then, that's where things start to get complicated. After one understands, believes and trusts that God's Word is final in all matters of life and living, then begins a life long journey of learning how to apply God's Word to every facet of our being. To be "conformed to the image of his son".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 May '16 12:59
    about Jesus?

lead us and guild us.

Despite the fact that it affects a significant proportion of mankind living in every country in the world, affecting maybe every single neighbourhood and village and town and city everywhere, and affecting the very core life experience of hundreds of millions of people in every walk of life, and has done for the 2,000 years since he lived, Jesus chose not to judge or condemn homisexuality... unless I am mistaken and you have a reference from Jesus himself.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 May '16 13:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    Whether Jesus says it in your very ear, or whether you read it or hear it read from the Bible, it all carries the same weight of absolute authority.
    Huh? If you believe or claim you have heard Jesus say something "in your very ear", it "carries the same weight of absolute authority" as if you read it in the Bible? Have I heard you right?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 May '16 14:09

But then, that's where things start to get complicated. After one understands, believes and trusts that God's Word is final in all matters of life and living, then ...[text shortened]... how to apply God's Word to every facet of our being. To be "conformed to the image of his son".
    As you know Joe (hey, that rhymes) I work in the mental health field, and recall a client I had a number of years ago who attacked his ex partner with a knife. (Her injuries thankfully were not life threatening). The reason he attacked her? Well, according to the client, Jesus told him to do so.

Alarm bells ring for me when people claim to hear the voice of God/Jesus. Rather than equating this with the word of God in the bible, I would be inclined to arrange a full mental health assessment.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 May '16 14:46
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    As you know Joe (hey, that rhymes) I work in the mental health field, and recall a client I had a number of years ago who attacked his ex partner with a knife. (Her injuries thankfully were not life threatening). The reason he attacked her? Well, according to the client, Jesus told him to do so.

Alarm bells ring for me when people claim to hear th ...[text shortened]... th the word of God in the bible, I would be inclined to arrange a full mental health assessment.
    I would agree. But I would add that if people claim to hear the voice of God/Jesus saying to go feed the poor, help the needy, I would say that they are not insane.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '16 14:57
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I would agree. But I would add that if people claim to hear the voice of God/Jesus saying to go feed the poor, help the needy, I would say that they are not insane.
    Hearing voices whether to good purpose of bad is still hearing voices, a sign of schizophrenia.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 May '16 15:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hearing voices whether to good purpose of bad is still hearing voices, a sign of schizophrenia.
    Yes. Although 'schizophrenic voices' tend to be negative in nature, they are not exclusively so. Indeed I've known clients who have drawn comfort and companionship from the voices in their head. (Though this of course doesn't change the origin of the voices).
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '16 15:181 edit

Alarm bells ring for me when people claim to hear th ...[text shortened]... th the word of God in the bible, I would be inclined to arrange a full mental health assessment.
    I used to work in a hospital that dealt with mentally ill people. I recall in our orientation one
    of the doctors came in and told us about patients that claimed they heard voices. He said
    they very well could for all they knew, there is no way to know. Now I can come up to you
    and tell you I'm Jesus or anyone else for that matter, you can hear my voice that doesn't
    mean I'm Jesus or whoever else I was claiming to be.

Scripturally speaking we know there are more than a few fake Jesus' out there, and we
    are also told to test the spirits to see if they are from God. Not every spirit has your best
    interest at heart, many actually would like to see you destroyed.

If someone told me they were hearing voices I'd have to agree with you alarm bells would
    be going off for me too. God is not a God of confusion He isn't going to tell you go against
    His Word, since Jesus came that we might have life and that more abundantly, and the
    forgiveness of our sins having a voice (spirit) say murder would be a huge flag saying this
    spirit or voice isn't from God.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '16 15:22

But then, that's where things start to get complicated. After one understands, believes and trusts that God's Word is final in all matters of life and living, then ...[text shortened]... how to apply God's Word to every facet of our being. To be "conformed to the image of his son".
    What I was saying since the thread didn't actually go where I thought it was going to go.
    *like it ever does*
    If John who wrote the book of John writes things that God revealed to him by the Holy
    Spirit, does that hold the same weight of authority than when John quoted Jesus?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 May '16 15:31
    I used to work in a hospital that dealt with mentally ill people. I recall in our orientation one
    of the doctors came in and told us about patients that claimed they heard voices. He said
    they very well could for all they knew, there is no way to know. Now I can come up to you
    and tell you I'm Jesus or anyone else for that matter, you can hear my voice t ...[text shortened]... ng a voice (spirit) say murder would be a huge flag saying this
    spirit or voice isn't from God.
    I do find the hearing of voices a fascinating facet of certain mental health conditions. (I say fascinating, but also have great compassion for those who suffer such intrusions). I don't think it's a question of whether they are genuinely hearing voices, as for the people affected the voices in their head seem every bit as real as the voices outside of their head. Clearly there is something going on in the brain that we still don't fully understand. - Also worth noting that in my time working with clients suffering from dementia, I also encountered this 'hearing voices phenomenon' though far less frequently then when working with clients with schizophrenia.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '16 16:00
    I do find the hearing of voices a fascinating facet of certain mental health conditions. (I say fascinating, but also have great compassion for those who suffer such intrusions). I don't think it's a question of whether they are genuinely hearing voices, as for the people affected the voices in their head seem every bit as real as the voices outside ...[text shortened]... voices phenomenon' though far less frequently then when working with clients with schizophrenia.
    Well I do believe in the spiritual world, but that doesn't mean to me that mental health
    issues cannot be the root cause of voices. For all I know some mental issues could be root
    caused by spiritual problems too, both would be beyond my abilities to know on my own.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '16 16:06
    Yes. Although 'schizophrenic voices' tend to be negative in nature, they are not exclusively so. Indeed I've known clients who have drawn comfort and companionship from the voices in their head. (Though this of course doesn't change the origin of the voices).
    Okay a meme I read that I thought was funny and I mean no disrespect to anyone with it.

"I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell me."

I laughed out loud when I read that. 🙂
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 May '16 17:48
    about Jesus?

lead us and guild us.

As far as I know ALL the words in the Epistles are from Revelation from Jesus Christ or God. If a person "claims" he received words from Jesus, they will not contradict the bible.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '16 18:11
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    As far as I know ALL the words in the Epistles are from Revelation from Jesus Christ or God. If a person "claims" he received words from Jesus, they will not contradict the bible.
    True, but does something that comes from the Holy Spirit less significant for us as a quote
    from Jesus?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree