1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 02:21
    my audience intended was theists and my purpose was to show them the truth but i dont think this is happening.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 04:29
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    my audience intended was theists and my purpose was to show them the truth but i dont think this is happening.
    How do you intend to 'show' them the truth?
    By telling them they're all a bunch of loonies?
    In my experience that doesn't really work very much. Better to actually accept a person's position, maybe try to understand their perspective, and have a good discussion with them about it ...
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 04:41
    Originally posted by amannion
    In my experience that doesn't really work very much. Better to actually accept a person's position, maybe try to understand their perspective, and have a good discussion with them about it ...
    in the back of everyone's mind, they know they are alone. they just refuse to believe it. NOBODY answers prayers; nobody ever will. they all know it, if you are familiar w/ sigmund freud, you know that people repress things they do not like.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 08:48
    in the back of everyone's mind, they know they are alone. they just refuse to believe it. NOBODY answers prayers; nobody ever will. they all know it, if you are familiar w/ sigmund freud, you know that people repress things they do not like.
    So what?
    What do you expect this to do?
    Someone shouting out ... 'You are all wrong, you are all crazy' ... is hardly going to change anyone's mind. But then, why would you want to?
    I'm an atheist, surrounded by believers. But I don't care. Why should I? I'm happy. They're happy. What else do we need?
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 22:52
    So what?
    What do you expect this to do?
    Someone shouting out ... 'You are all wrong, you are all crazy' ... is hardly going to change anyone's mind. But then, why would you want to?
    I'm an atheist, surrounded by believers. But I don't care. Why should I? I'm happy. They're happy. What else do we need?
    i believe that you can be happier and free w/o god. why do you care about what i am doing? is it any different than a preacher preaching his beliefs?
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 23:29
    i believe that you can be happier and free w/o god. why do you care about what i am doing? is it any different than a preacher preaching his beliefs?
    I don't really care at all, but the first post on this page suggested you were having a bit of a sook because no one was taking any notice of you.
    If you want people to take notice start being a little more thoughtful.
    As for being happier - you may be right. I'm pretty happy and I've been an atheist for 20 years. But many of my friends and family are christians and they're pretty happy too. Could they be happier? Maybe, but then I could probably be happier too.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 02:22
    I don't really care at all, but the first post on this page suggested you were having a bit of a sook because no one was taking any notice of you.
    If you want people to take notice start being a little more thoughtful.
    As for being happier - you may be right. I'm pretty happy and I've been an atheist for 20 years. But many of my friends and family are chr ...[text shortened]... re pretty happy too. Could they be happier? Maybe, but then I could probably be happier too.
    also, even if they did not become happier; i'd rather accept the truth and know the truth rather than be happy.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 04:14
    also, even if they did not become happier; i'd rather accept the truth and know the truth rather than be happy.
    You're certain of your truth are you?
    I'm guessing most religious people are quite certain of theirs too.
    So who is right?
    Neither, both?
    I don't think it really matters in the end,as long as we show respect for all people's views.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 12:16
    In your experience does your tactic work? Not criticizing, just wondering. I've tried both methods and got nowhere with either.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 19:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In your experience does your tactic work? Not criticizing, just wondering. I've tried both methods and got nowhere with either.
    Does it work to do what?
    I'm not attempting to convert anyone - I just have this insatiable curiosity about how the world works, including what people think and why they think that way.
    So, in the sense that it helps me to further my understanding - yes it works. The insults (of which I'm as guilty as anyone) and the proselytizing serve to do little, don't you think?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 09:27
    Does it work to do what?
    I'm not attempting to convert anyone - I just have this insatiable curiosity about how the world works, including what people think and why they think that way.
    So, in the sense that it helps me to further my understanding - yes it works. The insults (of which I'm as guilty as anyone) and the proselytizing serve to do little, don't you think?
    Well EcstremeVenom says he became atheist as a result of this forum. I wonder if it was the insults or the proselytizing or raw logic that worked.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 02:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well EcstremeVenom says he became atheist as a result of this forum. I wonder if it was the insults or the proselytizing or raw logic that worked.
    WOW. i never ever, ever said that. don't put words like that in my mouth please. that would just be pathetic if that were true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree