Religion in a nutshell.

Religion in a nutshell.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
24 Jun 08

One way religion is useful is cleanliness----providing soap is used during baptism!

j

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by 667joe
One way religion is useful is cleanliness----providing soap is used during baptism!
Most people get that from their parents around the age of two or three.

Hope you don't end up going to seminary to learn to brush your teeth.

Maryland

Moves
24 Jun 08

Learning to brush teeth is more useful than all the other stuff that you could only learn in a seminary

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jun 08

Learning to brush teeth is more useful than all the other stuff that you could only learn in a seminary
You'd be surprised. Some seminaries do teach some useful stuff. Priests often need to be good managers, social workers, community leaders, marriage councillors, team players etc and a good seminary helps them along that path.

j

Moves
24 Jun 08

I never went.

But I discovered the usefulness of soap long before I was baptized.

j

Moves
24 Jun 08
1 edit

By the way joey, your "nutshell" seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Maryland

Moves
24 Jun 08

You make my point. Anything useful learned in the seminary has nothing to do with theology.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Jun 08

You make my point. Anything useful learned in the seminary has nothing to do with theology.
Again I would dispute that. It might not be useful to you, but it sure would be useful to a priest. A priest is often called on to explain theology to his flock. He learns how to do this better in seminary. He also learns more about theology and what his Churches official stand is on various aspects of theology. I am sure all these things are useful to him in his job/calling as a priest.
In fact that is one reason I have a lot more respect for Churches that specifically pick and train their priests as opposed to those that just let anyone who feels like it become a priest/pastor.

AH

Moves
25 Jun 08

Originally posted by jaywill
By the way joey, your "nutshell" seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
My "nutshells" are also growing bigger and bigger -as my nuts grow ever larger. How did you come to know about his nutshells?

Why do you say “nutshell” and not “nutshells” ? are you implying that you just don’t want to talk about the other nut? Is there something very wrong with the other nut that we should all know about?

Maryland

Moves
25 Jun 08

Theology is not based on facts. A house of cards has more to stand on.

j

Moves
27 Jun 08

Is this a fact? You exist.

Is that a fact or not?

j

Moves
27 Jun 08

Joe667,

I am examining your claim that theology is not based on facts. Let's see if this is true.

Is it a fact or not that you exist? Can we agree that your existence is a fact?

j

Moves
27 Jun 08
1 edit

Joe,

Once again, you wrote:

=========================================
==========================================

A house of cards should be pretty easy to knock down.

Let's see if I can develop a theology based on FACTS. One fact at a time, I'll try to gather some upon which to form a theology which you say cannot be done.

Do you agree that it is a FACT that you exist? Are you waiting for someone else to deal with the house of cards for you?

Maryland

Moves
27 Jun 08

Yes.I exist.

j

Moves
27 Jun 08

Yes.I exist.
I agree. Fact #1 is you do exist.

I have two more questions about possible FACTS:

Is it a FACT that it is possible that you could not exist?

Is it a FACT that you were caused to exist by something besides yourself?