Situational resolve + (man-god) = religion
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 22:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Go on.
    Think of it this way. Consider the Pharisees for example. They had the temple and the ceremony, and taught the traditions of men and not the Word of God. The history of the levitical priesthood of Israel, in whom was entrusted the "Oracles of God", is full of examples of how corrupt they became to the extent that Israel was taken into captivity by unbelievers.

Quite simple really. Unbelief in the Word of God by so-called believers results in ceremonial and ritualistic practices void of content.

Like white washed sepulchres.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 22:25
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Situational resolve + (man-god) = religion
    Works for me! 🙂
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 12:02
    Originally posted by josephw
    Think of it this way. Consider the Pharisees for example. They had the temple and the ceremony, and taught the traditions of men and not the Word of God. The history of the levitical priesthood of Israel, in whom was entrusted the "Oracles of God", is full of examples of how corrupt they became to the extent that Israel was taken into captivity by unbeliever ...[text shortened]... esults in ceremonial and ritualistic practices void of content.

Like white washed sepulchres.
    Are you forgetting that little episode of Christianity called "Indulgences"?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 12:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are you forgetting that little episode of Christianity called "Indulgences"?
    Ritual+filthy lucre=religion 😉
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 18:09
    "Surely no one will prove himself so great a bore as to contradict me in this. . . . The gods were bored, and so they created man. Adam was bored because he was alone, and so Eve was created. Thus boredom entered the world, and increased in proportion to the increase of population. Adam was bored alone; then Adam and Eve were bored together; then Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel were bored en famille; then the population of the world increased, and the peoples were bored en masse. To divert themselves they conceived the idea of constructing a tower high enough to reach the heavens. This idea is itself as boring as the tower was high, and constitutes a terrible proof of how boredom gained the upper hand."
    —Søren Kierkegaard: Either/Or.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 23:33
    Originally posted by SMesq
    "Surely no one will prove himself so great a bore as to contradict me in this. . . . The gods were bored, and so they created man. Adam was bored because he was alone, and so Eve was created. Thus boredom entered the world, and increased in proportion to the increase of population. Adam was bored alone; then Adam and Eve were bored together; then Adam and Eve ...[text shortened]... stitutes a terrible proof of how boredom gained the upper hand."
    —Søren Kierkegaard: Either/Or.
    I don't recall ever reading anything so boring. 😉
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 19:12
    Think of it this way. Consider the Pharisees for example. They had the temple and the ceremony, and taught the traditions of men and not the Word of God. The history of the levitical priesthood of Israel, in whom was entrusted the "Oracles of God", is full of examples of how corrupt they became to the extent that Israel was taken into captivity by unbeliever ...[text shortened]... by sonhouse[/i]
    [b]Are you forgetting that little episode of Christianity called "Indulgences"?
    No, he's not.

Because both speak to "Unbelief in the Word of God by so-called believers results in ceremonial and ritualistic practices void of content."

Your example and his are both part and parcel of the same experience.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 20:48
    Ritual-doctrine=religion
    'religion is a smile on a dog'.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 06:26
    Ritual-doctrine=religion
    "The Religion Facts A-Z Religion Index is a quick index to our articles and sections on major world religions, from ancient faiths to new religious movements. It is not comprehensive, of course, and grows regularly. This list is larger than the one on the main page, as it includes sects and denominations (like Baptist or Zen) along with major religions (like Christianity or Buddhism). ReligionFacts is very inclusive with what is regarded as a "religion" for purposes of this index and this website. Some of these belief systems may not be "religions" according to traditional definitions (they might better be called "philosophies" or [movements]), and some are even anti-religion. The grounds for a group's inclusion is simply that it offers an explanation of ultimate reality or the purpose of life. See our Big Religion Chart* to compare the basics of over 40 faiths."

"Aladura; Amish; Anglicanism; Asatru; Bah'ai Faith; Baptist; Bön Buddhism; Candomble Cao Dai; Catholicism; Chinese Religion; Chopra Center; Christianity; Christian Science; Confucianism; Conservative Judaism; Divine Science; Eckankar; Epicureanism; Episcopalianism; Falun Gong; Germanic Heathenism; Greco-Roman Religion; Hare Krishna (ISKCON); Hasidic Judaism; Hellenic Reconstructionism; Hinduism; Islam; Jainism; Jehovah's Witnesses; Judaism; Kemetic Reconstructionism; Lutheranism; Mahayana Buddhism; Mayan Religion; Mithraism; Mormonism (LDS); Neopaganism; New Thought Nichiren; Buddhism; The Occult; Orthodox Christianity; Orthodox Judaism; Presbyterianism; Protestantism; Pure Land Buddhism; Quakers; Rastafari; Religious Science; Satanism; Scientology; Seventh-day Adventist; Shaivism; Shinto Sikhism; Stoicism; Tendai Buddhism; Theravada Buddhism; Taoism; Tibetan Buddhism; Umbanda Unification Church; Unitarian; Universalism; Unity Church; Vampirism; Vaishnavism; Voodoo; Westboro Baptist Church; Wicca Worldwide Church of God; Zen Zoroastrainism." "A-Z Religion Index": http://www.religionfacts.com/a-z-religion-index/index.htm
    "Big Religion Chart"*: http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm
    ("In What Do You Place Your Hope and Trust?" 13.05.10)
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 19:29
    I missed some fun with this thread.

Morality - God = Morality + God

Complete Bible read-through * 50 = Atheist

Early football game = Church Attendance - 100
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 20:07
    In the life that seeks the spiritual, religion is present to the degree that Jesus Christ is absent.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 23:061 edit
    So, let me see if I'm following along.

Everyone in here, including the theists, seem to be saying, in effect, that religion is a bad thing. Is that about it?

If so, I see no need for me to make the leap of faith to that bandwagon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree