1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Mar '15 23:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I visit the library regularly. There are a great many books, not all of them well written or interesting. There is a great many threads here all of which attempt in some from or other to contradict my religious beliefs and yet I read them.
    Are you going to accept my gracious offer or are you going to keep obfuscating?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 08:56
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Are you going to accept my gracious offer or are you going to keep obfuscating?
    Your gracious offer? LOL, I have enough books to be getting on with at present, some are difficult books, like the Pictish conquest of 685 fought at Dunnichen, others even more so, like the Cromwellian attempt to steal the Scottish crown jewels which consist almost entirely of contemporary letters. These things are of interest to me. Some hypothesis founded upon pure conjecture dreamed up by some Victorian beard is not that interesting. I have his laborious tome at home which I occasionally consult when I need a laugh.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 11:20
    Your gracious offer? LOL, I have enough books to be getting on with at present, some are difficult books, like the Pictish conquest of 685 fought at Dunnichen, others even more so, like the Cromwellian attempt to steal the Scottish crown jewels which consist almost entirely of contemporary letters. These things are of interest to me. Some hypothesi ...[text shortened]... nteresting. I have his laborious tome at home which I occasionally consult when I need a laugh.
    So, is that a yes or no?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 11:511 edit
    So, is that a yes or no?
    Still uninterested in reason I see, still viewing the world as a chess board in black and white, yes and no! right and wrong! good and evil. Its the battle of evermore!

sigh. . . . . that will be a yes I am going to keep obfuscating
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 13:50
    So, is that a yes or no?
    lol.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 14:10
    Your gracious offer? LOL, I have enough books to be getting on with at present, some are difficult books, like the Pictish conquest of 685 fought at Dunnichen, others even more so, like the Cromwellian attempt to steal the Scottish crown jewels which consist almost entirely of contemporary letters. These things are of interest to me. Some hypothesi ...[text shortened]... nteresting. I have his laborious tome at home which I occasionally consult when I need a laugh.
    Quite a step up from 'Dick and Jane see Spot run.'

Does your mom read these to you?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 15:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Quite a step up from 'Dick and Jane see Spot run.'

Does your mom read these to you?
    My dear fiend my mom prefers Agatha Christie and the genre of crime novel. I am more catholic in my tastes and will read almost anything that is of interest and yes I have even read a Sydney Sheldon book, Rage of Angels, once and only once!
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 18:001 edit
    Still uninterested in reason I see, still viewing the world as a chess board in black and white, yes and no! right and wrong! good and evil. Its the battle of evermore!

sigh. . . . . that will be a yes I am going to keep obfuscating
    Of course I'm interested in reason, but in this particular instance I already know the reason, all that is required is a definitive yes or no answer from you. You quite clearly stated why you would not take up my gracious offer when we initially had this exchange (Too add, it is a 'gracious offer', I'm offering my time and my money to post you a book with a paid for return envelope). A reason is not needed.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 20:35
    Of course I'm interested in reason, but in this particular instance I already know the reason, all that is required is a definitive yes or no answer from you. You quite clearly stated why you would not take up my gracious offer when we initially had this exchange (Too add, it is a 'gracious offer', I'm offering my time and my money to post you a book with a paid for return envelope). A reason is not needed.
    Noobster oh Noobster! If you rode up to Glasgow in your Rolls Royce and had your butler deliver the book to me, gift wrapped with gilded paper on a purple cushion preceded by semi clad beauties throwing flowers on the ground I still would not read it!
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 21:29
    Noobster oh Noobster! If you rode up to Glasgow in your Rolls Royce and had your butler deliver the book to me, gift wrapped with gilded paper on a purple cushion preceded by semi clad beauties throwing flowers on the ground I still would not read it!
    I know. Do you think your spiritual evolution which has led you to this virtual cul-de-sac is a logical or rational position. I mean here you are, a sentient and intelligent man living in the 21st Century steadfastly refusing to read a science book. A book, which contains nothing more than words.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 21:52
    I know. Do you think your spiritual evolution which has led you to this virtual cul-de-sac is a logical or rational position. I mean here you are, a sentient and intelligent man living in the 21st Century steadfastly refusing to read a science book. A book, which contains nothing more than words.
    I am not refusing to read a science book per se. I am refusing to be forced into reading a science book, there is a difference.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 22:00
    I am not refusing to read a science book per se. I am refusing to be forced into reading a science book, there is a difference.
    Car manual,washing machine manual, computer manual etc. 🙂
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 19:39
    Forced to read a book!!! LOL, what a load of tripe. How can someone who you've never met and who lives about 200 miles away force you to do anything. Get a grip for goodness sake Robert.

The list of excuses you have come up with over the years since the 'book episode' is laughable. You've claimed your initial response was a joke, you've claimed your answer was a matter of 'expediency', earlier you claimed iyou can't take up my offer because you had too many books to read and now your claiming it's because I'm 'forcing' you to read the book.

Why don't you just stick to your original reason? You won't read the book because your afraid doing so might diminish your religious beliefs.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 20:16
    Forced to read a book!!! LOL, what a load of tripe. How can someone who you've never met and who lives about 200 miles away force you to do anything. Get a grip for goodness sake Robert.

The list of excuses you have come up with over the years since the 'book episode' is laughable. You've claimed your initial response was a joke, you've claimed your ...[text shortened]... son? You won't read the book because your afraid doing so might diminish your religious beliefs.
    I knew this would be your response! are you saying that you have not attempted over the years to employ and utilise subtle coercion? are you Noobster?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 21:11
    I knew this would be your response! are you saying that you have not attempted over the years to employ and utilise subtle coercion? are you Noobster?
    So you've now gone from claiming i'm 'forcing' you to read this book to now claiming I've employed 'subtle coercion'. Do you want to have a think about what it is you're claiming I'm doing? You seem in a muddle at the moment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree