1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 21:57
    The religious way of thinking endorses and encourages belief in absolute truths and the abandonment of logic and reason in favor of faith. By legitimising this kind of thinking, religion must bare a large part of the blame for the existence of extremists who use this kind of thinking to further their cause.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:05
    Originally posted by OdBod
    The religious way of thinking endorses and encourages belief in absolute truths and the abandonment of logic and reason in favor of faith. By legitimising this kind of thinking, religion must bare a large part of the blame for the existence of extremists who use this kind of thinking to further their cause.
    I'm sorry, but why would faith be the abandonment of logic and reason?
    For me faith is the result of those two.
    Why do you think those who pride themselves on both logic and reason
    causes some type of cure for people wanting to further their cause?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:251 edit
    "The religious way of thinking..."

The rest of your post demonstrates you know nothing about it.

Every individual is accountable for his or her own actions regardless of what religion they espouse, or excuse they make for committing acts of extremism. Those who name the name of God and use terrorism to further a political or religious agenda are personally guilty for their crimes. Lumping all people of faith together as promoting a "religious way of thinking" that encourages the "abandonment of logic and reason" is shallow and bigoted.
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:34
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    For me faith is the result of those two.
    Why do you think those who pride themselves on both logic and reason
    causes some type of cure for people wanting to further their cause?
    You cannot prove the existence of god through logic and reason , it comes down to faith.
  5. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:37
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"The religious way of thinking..."

The rest of your post demonstrates you know nothing about it.

Every individual is accountable for his or her own actions regardless of what religion they espouse, or excuse they make for committing acts of extremism. Those who name the name of God and use terrorism to further a political or religious agenda a ...[text shortened]... s way of thinking" that encourages the "abandonment of logic and reason" is shallow and bigoted.[/b]
    You have missed the point of the OP. But have supported it's contention in your post. You acknowledge that the extremists use god to legitimize their actions!!!!!
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:48
    You have missed the point of the OP. But have supported it's contention in your post. You acknowledge that the extremists use god to legitimize their actions!!!!!
    "You acknowledge that the extremists use god to legitimize their actions!!!!!"

Is that logical or reasonable? Of course not! So why are you saying that religion promotes irrational thought?

Inside the skull of every living soul exists the ability to think, on an individual basis. Each individual makes up their own mind about the legitimacy of their beliefs and acts accordingly. Those that practice extremism are few by comparison to the vast majority who practice peace.

So you can't blame religion, just the few individual radicalized mindless numbnuts that have been here since the beginning of recorded history.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:51
    You cannot prove the existence of god through logic and reason , it comes down to faith.
    Back to that again!

No one can prove God exists. We all know that. But we don't have to prove God exists. God exists as evidenced by creation. It's self evident.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 22:53
    [b]"You acknowledge that the extremists use god to legitimize their actions!!!!!"

Is that logical or reasonable? Of course not! So why are you saying that religion promotes irrational thought?

Inside the skull of every living soul exists the ability to think, on an individual basis. Each individual makes up their own mind about the legitimacy of t ...[text shortened]... idual radicalized mindless numbnuts that have been here since the beginning of recorded history.[/b]
    You still keep missing the point, those numbnuts hijack religious belief systems and use them.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:00
    You still keep missing the point, those numbnuts hijack religious belief systems and use them.
    The main thrust of your opening post was that religion promotes irrationality, which you suggested religion be blamed for. I answered that in my first post.

I agree with what you said just above. It's what I've been saying. Individuals are to blame. Not God. Not religion. Not the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:01
    Extremists have also used government to further their evil agendas. Should we abandon politics also, then?

No. Evil men will do what evil men do. It is not the fault of whatever vehicle they use to further their aims, any more than the environmental disaster of an oil leak is the fault of the oil tankers or the pipeline that carries the oil.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:062 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    "We walk by faith and not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7.

In other words, "we abide by beliefs and not by evidence."
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:08
    Back to that again!

No one can prove God exists. We all know that. But we don't have to prove God exists. God exists as evidenced by creation. It's self evident.
    It may be self-evident to those of faith. To those without faith, it's important that creation not be evidence of a Creator (i.e. it could have happened through natural causes) in order to fulfill the Free Will of those who have not chosen God to be free to not choose God.
  13. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Extremists have also used government to further their evil agendas. Should we abandon politics also, then?

No. Evil men will do what evil men do. It is not the fault of whatever vehicle they use to further their aims, any more than the environmental disaster of an oil leak is the fault of the oil tankers or the pipeline that carries the oil.
    It is far easier to change a person's political persuasion than a religious conviction don't you think?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:12
    It is far easier to change a person's political persuasion than a religious conviction don't you think?
    I think not. Not in America. I'd rather die than vote Republican.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:12
    Duh, if any of this could be proved there would be no need for faith.
    Your logic and reason can take you to a place where you have to believe
    the results of your findings, even knowing you may not have all the data
    required, or if you got a clear understanding on those things you are basing
    you findings on. You believe you grasp the universe as is, so you are also
    walking around in faith, you just dislike the word so you try to deny that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree