1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:14
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think not. Not in America. I'd rather die than vote Republican.
    😀
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:15
    Originally posted by OdBod
    You still keep missing the point, those numbnuts hijack religious belief systems and use them.
    Those numbnuts are no different than those that deny God and still would
    ruin the lives of others who believe in Him. As soon as you are willing to
    use force to make someone act against their will you have become like
    them just to a different degree. People behave this way, it is human nature
    you see those in religion and out of it all doing the samethings for different
    reasons.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:17
    Originally posted by vivify
    "We walk by faith and not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7.

In other words, "we abide by beliefs and not by evidence."
    It does not throw out evidence, we believe the world was created by that
    which we cannot see. We all act on what we think is true and cannot prove.
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:251 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Duh, if any of this could be proved there would be no need for faith.
    Your logic and reason can take you to a place where you have to believe
    the results of your findings, even knowing you may not have all the data
    required, or if you got a clear understanding on those things you are basing
    you findings on. You believe you grasp the universe as is, so you are also
    walking around in faith, you just dislike the word so you try to deny that.
    Actually, you are quite wrong in assuming I believe I have a clear understanding on what the Universe is. I know we have so much more to learn. This means I am always open to new ideas and not tied down to the concept of an absolute belief. At least a scientific approach is in the business of accumulating information on an ongoing basis, rather than relying on fixed old texts.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:30
    Actually, you are quite wrong in assuming I believe I have a clear understanding on what the Universe is. I know we have so much more to learn. This means I am always open to new ideas and not tied down to the concept of an absolute belief. At least a scientific approach is in the business of accumulating information on an ongoing basis, rather than relying on fix old texts.
    Look, even I embrace science, as far as it goes to explain the "How?" of everything.

But I daresay that taking a scientific approach to faith will never get you there. Eventually, a leap must be made to a different kind of knowledge.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:31
    The religious way of thinking endorses and encourages belief in absolute truths and the abandonment of logic and reason in favor of faith. By legitimising this kind of thinking, religion must bare a large part of the blame for the existence of extremists who use this kind of thinking to further their cause.
    This is a non sequitur right from the very beginning making it neither logical or reasonable. Ironic really.
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:341 edit
    Look, even I embrace science, as far as it goes to explain the "How?" of everything.

But I daresay that taking a scientific approach to faith will never get you there. Eventually, a leap must be made to a different kind of knowledge.
    At present you are correct, but that may change in time. Science has and does continue to change the way we view our Universe. One thing is certain, new discoveries will radically change our thinking and may impact on matters of faith.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    This is a non sequitur right from the very beginning making it neither logical or reasonable. Ironic really.
    This is the error people like googlefudge make.

When you shut down the conversation by calling your opponents' position ludicrous, and even "dangerous", then all progress is lost.

It is far better to converse with those holding a different opinion than simply to opine more loudly.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:43
    This is the error people like googlefudge make.

When you shut down the conversation by calling your opponents' position ludicrous, and even "dangerous", then all progress is lost.

It is far better to converse with those holding a different opinion than simply to opine more loudly.
    Are you referring to the OP or Robbie's?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:44
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Are you referring to the OP or Robbie's?
    Who did I quote?

I was speaking to Mr. Carrobie.
  11. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '15 23:491 edit
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 00:04
    Who did I quote?

I was speaking to Mr. Carrobie.
    It's just it wasn't clear whether you were agreeing with him about the OP and adding your own comments or disagreeing with him for dismissing OdBod's position as a non sequitur.

I'm trying to work out what I think about this. I'd take Od Bod's statement as being a question - implicitly followed by the word discuss.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 00:17
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    We all act on what we think is true and cannot prove.
    That's just another way of saying "we abide by beliefs and not by evidence."
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 00:20
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's just it wasn't clear whether you were agreeing with him about the OP and adding your own comments or disagreeing with him for dismissing OdBod's position as a non sequitur.

I'm trying to work out what I think about this. I'd take Od Bod's statement as being a question - implicitly followed by the word discuss.
    Yes, I've already had my discussion with Odbod on his OP. It's up to him if he wants to continue.

However, all Robbie had to say to him was: "This is a non sequitur right from the very beginning making it neither logical or reasonable. Ironic really."

Calling Odbod's OP a "non-sequitur" or "neither logical or reasonable" is just trying to shut him down at the outset with no discussion. That's what I was calling Robbie out for doing. I was telling him, it's much better to discuss than just to shout out your own opinion more loudly. I thought I was pretty clear.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 00:30
    At present you are correct, but that may change in time. Science has and does continue to change the way we view our Universe. One thing is certain, new discoveries will radically change our thinking and may impact on matters of faith.
    I still maintain that the scientific method cannot be applied to matters of faith. Those of faith get this, but those whose entire repertoire of knowledge consists of the scientific method and ONLY the scientific method, will never find faith, no matter how long they look, as long as they insist on using the application of the scientific method as their only tool to search for it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree