1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    24 Apr '07 05:423 edits
    I thought it might be interesting to start a question and answer thread
    to promote some basic religious awareness about major
    religions from around the world. Please, anyone feel free to post,
    just try to keep the questions reasonable, and try to make them
    interesting. Remember, the point is to spark awareness. Also, don't
    try to bend the questions to meet your own agendas... And finally, if
    you want to look up the answers, fine, but try to answer without any
    resource if possible. 🙂

    I'll get us started.

    Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    24 Apr '07 06:02
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I thought it might be interesting to start a question and answer thread
    to promote some [b]basic
    religious awareness about major
    religions from around the world. Please, anyone feel free to post,
    just try to keep the questions reasonable, and try to make them
    interesting. Remember, the point is to spark awareness. Also, don't
    try to bend the q ...[text shortened]... y
    resource if possible. 🙂

    I'll get us started.

    Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.[/b]
    What are the Roman Catholic decision criteria for determining whether a candidate for sainthood has fulfilled the requirement of performing a posthumous miracle?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    24 Apr '07 06:04
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What are the Roman Catholic decision criteria for determining whether a candidate for sainthood has fulfilled the requirement of performing a posthumous miracle?
    You didn't name the four noble truths of Buddhism. You don't get to go until you do. You're breaking the rules, you cheater.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    24 Apr '07 06:07
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You didn't name the four noble truths of Buddhism. You don't get to go until you do. You're breaking the rules, you cheater.
    Forget it then. The answer to my question is probably nonsense anyway.
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    1345
    24 Apr '07 06:14
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Forget it then. The answer to my question is probably nonsense anyway.
    I think I got this one!

    The four noble truths of Buddhism:
    1. suffering
    2. cause of suffering
    3. cessation
    4. path of cessation

    something like that I think?
    Thanks vistesd. 🙂
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    24 Apr '07 23:071 edit
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    I think I got this one!

    The four noble truths of Buddhism:
    1. suffering
    2. cause of suffering
    3. cessation
    4. path of cessation

    something like that I think?
    Thanks vistesd. 🙂
    Close...it's something like this (you're more correct than wrong...)

    1. Everyone suffers.
    2. Human suffering is innate due to greed, selfishness, etc.
    3. There is a way to alleviate suffering.
    4. The way to alleviate suffering is to follow the Eightfold Path.

    Again, you're more right than wrong...this is how I was taught, anyway.

    Edit: From now on I'll ask the questions in a multiple choice format...
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    24 Apr '07 23:09
    What was Paul's name before he converted to Christianity?

    A. Peter
    B. James
    C. Saul
    D. Judas
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    25 Apr '07 00:39
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    What was Paul's name before he converted to Christianity?

    A. Peter
    B. James
    C. Saul
    D. Judas
    Saul
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    25 Apr '07 00:51
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Saul
    Yep...easy enough 🙂
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    25 Apr '07 00:53
    What kind of calendar is the Muslim calendar?

    A. Lunar
    B. Solar
    C. Stellar
    D. Planetary
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    25 Apr '07 01:07
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What are the Roman Catholic decision criteria for determining whether a candidate for sainthood has fulfilled the requirement of performing a posthumous miracle?
    I think they have to be dead for a certain period of time. I also think there has to be some verifiable healing that can be documented.
  12. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Joined
    23 Dec '05
    Moves
    28199
    25 Apr '07 01:23
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think they have to be dead for a certain period of time. I also think there has to be some verifiable healing that can be documented.
    The recipient of the miracle has to have documented proof of the illness or injury. They also need documented proof that the illness or injury no longer exists, and that medical intervention can't account for this. An example of this would be medically documented proof that someone had cancer but then no longer had the cancer without having first had the surgery. The person whose intercession they sought is the dead person.
  13. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Joined
    23 Dec '05
    Moves
    28199
    25 Apr '07 01:23
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    What kind of calendar is the Muslim calendar?

    A. Lunar
    B. Solar
    C. Stellar
    D. Planetary
    A.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    25 Apr '07 01:29
    Originally posted by reader1107
    The recipient of the miracle has to have documented proof of the illness or injury. They also need documented proof that the illness or injury no longer exists, and that medical intervention can't account for this. An example of this would be medically documented proof that someone had cancer but then no longer had the cancer without having first had the surgery. The person whose intercession they sought is the dead person.
    I'm curious about something. We all the time hear about priests having sexual "lapses." We know that they typically get moved to another parish. Are there any accounts of nuns screwing around? What happens to them?
  15. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Joined
    23 Dec '05
    Moves
    28199
    25 Apr '07 01:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I'm curious about something. We all the time hear about priests having sexual "lapses." We know that they typically get moved to another parish. Are there any accounts of nuns screwing around? What happens to them?
    There are some (less common) instances of nuns molesting children (I think there was a boarding school scandal or two, in Ireland and Canada perhaps) and a recent case of a nun being arrested in Wisconsin for past abuse. Generally if a nun wants to have a relationship with a man, she tends to leave her community (especially if she gets pregnant). The community may move her first if they think she's having an affair, or they may advise her to begin the process of leaving. It is much more common for nuns to have "particular friendships" which are often ... much more than friendships. There are plenty of "couples" who don't have sexual relations but are couples in every other sense of the word. There are also lesbian couples. There are some lesbian nuns who firmly believe that since what they are doing does not involve certain activities it therefore doesn't count as sex and isn't a violation of the vow of celibacy.
Back to Top