Religious Awareness Q&A Thread

Religious Awareness Q&A Thread

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
I'm curious about something. We all the time hear about priests having sexual "lapses." We know that they typically get moved to another parish. Are there any accounts of nuns screwing around? What happens to them?
cont'd ...

Religious orders are very closed communities. Once a nun makes final vows, there is a great deal involved in kicking the nun out or her leaving voluntarily, and both instances require the Pope's permission. Religious communities handing things in all sorts of ways, which are often determined by who is in charge at the time. Because of the nature of the closed community, behaviors are tolerated that wouldn't be in other groups perhaps. For example, I know a community in which one of the sisters taught elementary school. Each day after lunch the nun went home and took a nap for an hour or so, leaving her students with work and strict orders to behave and not call attention to themselves. This went on for years actually without intervention.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

The book of Genesis was believed by some scripture scholars to be written by the Yahwists and

A. the Elohists
B. the Midianites
C. Dr. Scribbles
D. Moses

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
25 Apr 07

Originally posted by reader1107
The book of Genesis was believed by some scripture scholars to be written by the Yahwists and

A. the Elohists
B. the Midianites
C. Dr. Scribbles
D. Moses
D

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
25 Apr 07

A.
Correct!

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
25 Apr 07

cont'd ...

Religious orders are very closed communities. Once a nun makes final vows, there is a great deal involved in kicking the nun out or her leaving voluntarily, and both instances require the Pope's permission. Religious communities handing things in all sorts of ways, which are often determined by who is in charge at the time. Because of the ...[text shortened]... and not call attention to themselves. This went on for years actually without intervention.
Do you have any insights as to what nuns fanticize about? Do they ever like get together late at night and talk about JFK, Jr. or something like that?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
25 Apr 07

The majority of practicing Muslims throughout the world are Sunni. True or False?

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

D
nope

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

Do you have any insights as to what nuns fanticize about? Do they ever like get together late at night and talk about JFK, Jr. or something like that?
Nuns have hormones too. Window shopping is OK, and some call it "admiring God's handiwork." God made some nice looking creatures!! Most are way too old for JFK, Jr. But generally that's as far as they'd go out loud, and some older nuns think that's just horrible to even say a man is nice looking.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wittywonka
The majority of practicing Muslims throughout the world are Sunni. True or False?
False. Shi'ite

(I think)

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
25 Apr 07

nope
Then it would be A.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

Then it would be A.
Correct.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
25 Apr 07

False. Shi'ite

(I think)
Actually, although I reserve the right to be corrected, I think it is Sunni. I think Shi'ite are the majority in Iraq (and Iran?...).

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

Actually, although I reserve the right to be corrected, I think it is Sunni. I think Shi'ite are the majority in Iraq (and Iran?...).
Ah. Could be. I took World Religions in the late 90s. I'm too old to retain much information any more.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
25 Apr 07

Which of the following is not one of the five pillars of Islam:

A. Reciting "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad was his prophet."
B. Giving 1/40 of one's income to charity
C. Fasting during the holy month of Ramadan (sp?)
D. Making a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca
E. Refusing to drink alcohol
F. Performing 5 daily prayers

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Apr 07

Which of the following is not one of the five pillars of Islam:

A. Reciting "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad was his prophet."
B. Giving 1/40 of one's income to charity
C. Fasting during the holy month of Ramadan (sp?)
D. Making a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca
E. Refusing to drink alcohol
F. Performing 5 daily prayers
E.