1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:42
    I saw this in a job advertisement on an international academic jobs website

A minimum of a Master's degree in Biology, or an associated field, is required. A Ph.D. in Biology is preferred. The successful candidate will document effective classroom teaching and exhibit a commitment to professional development. The candidate should be an active evangelical Christian and be sympathetic with the goals and values of Simpson University. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, curriculum vita, three letters of reference, and a brief essay regarding one's faith experience to: [emphasis added by me]

!!!

This is unbelieveable! Blatant discrimination on purely religious grounds. In the EU this would be illegal, but apparently not so in the US. What say ye, good people?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:51
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I saw this in a job advertisement on an international academic jobs website

A minimum of a Master's degree in Biology, or an associated field, is required. A Ph.D. in Biology is preferred. The successful candidate will document effective classroom teaching and exhibit a commitment to professional development. [b][i]The candidate should be an active e ...[text shortened]... In the EU this would be illegal, but apparently not so in the US. What say ye, good people?
    I think this kind of thing is fairly common in schools that are religiously oriented like Oral Roberts University. They do not get funding from the government so they can do that. Churches do the same kind of thing when they hire childcare workers.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:53
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think this kind of thing is fairly common in schools that are religiously oriented like Oral Roberts University. They do not get funding from the government so they can do that. Churches do the same kind of thing when they hire childcare workers.
    But is it "right"? I mean, if it had read "Only white people need apply", wouldn't that be the same? Would you stand for that?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 01:03
    But is it "right"? I mean, if it had read "Only white people need apply", wouldn't that be the same? Would you stand for that?
    No, I don't like it. If I recall (we may need to get No. 1 in on this) there was a Supreme Court decision within the past 5 years that addressed this. I went to a seminary that only hired Baptists. There are other divinity schools that are receptive to other denominations teaching and I think this only adds to the creativity and diversity of the learning.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 01:32
    No, I don't like it. If I recall (we may need to get No. 1 in on this) there was a Supreme Court decision within the past 5 years that addressed this. I went to a seminary that only hired Baptists. There are other divinity schools that are receptive to other denominations teaching and I think this only adds to the creativity and diversity of the learning.
    Is religious discimination allowed in the US? What kinds of discrimination are okay? Which are not?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 02:09
    Is religious discimination allowed in the US? What kinds of discrimination are okay? Which are not?
    Every place I have ever worked has had a policy of "not discriminating on the basis of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation."
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 02:18
    Every place I have ever worked has had a policy of "not discriminating on the basis of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation."
    Likewise. I can understand why they want to do this - don't want any nasty atheists filling their heads with any atheistic ideas, but come on - this can't be legal!
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:03
    Likewise. I can understand why they want to do this - don't want any nasty atheists filling their heads with any atheistic ideas, but come on - this can't be legal!
    Sure it can be legal. You can't be descriminated against based on your race, gender, or disability, which are things you can't change. You can, however, chose your religion. Therefore, if a religious group wants to decsriminate on the basis of a purely voluntary trait then it should be allowed. This does not apply, of course, to government agencies or anyone receiving government funding. This that would mean tax dollars advancing religion and would be in violation of separation of church and state. Why would an atheist want to work at an evangelical christian school, anyway?
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:241 edit
    Originally posted by whiterose
    Sure it can be legal. You can't be descriminated against based on your race, gender, or disability, which are things you can't change. You can, however, chose your religion. Therefore, if a religious group wants to decsriminate on the basis of a purely voluntary trait then it should be allowed. This does not apply, of course, to government agencies or anyo ...[text shortened]... hurch and state. Why would an atheist want to work at an evangelical christian school, anyway?
    I wouldn't, but I'd like the right to. Can religious persuasion really be said to be "personal choice"?* I'm not sure that's the way some of the fundies on this site see it!

[edit; *and then there is the whole brainwashing / indoctornation thing too]
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:34
    I wouldn't, but I'd like the right to. Can religious persuasion really be said to be "personal choice"?* I'm not sure that's the way some of the fundies on this site see it!

[edit; *and then there is the whole brainwashing / indoctornation thing too]
    Fundamentalists may not see it that way, true, but I could apply for that job and say I was an evangelical chirstian and not be discriminated against. The same cannot be said for things like sex and race(at least if they interviewed me in person).
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:58
    What about the reverse situation? Perhaps a known Christian scientist is discriminated against for being a Christian in a predominatly atheistic environment? I am sure this has happened as well. Granted, they probably would not be as honest about such discrimination and blame it on something else.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 04:04
    Originally posted by whiterose
    Fundamentalists may not see it that way, true, but I could apply for that job and say I was an evangelical chirstian and not be discriminated against. The same cannot be said for things like sex and race(at least if they interviewed me in person).
    But you could then be sacked, or worse, sued, if they found out your "dirty little secret"!
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 04:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about the reverse situation? Perhaps a known Christian scientist is discriminated against for being a Christian in a predominatly atheistic environment? I am sure this has happened as well. Granted, they probably would not be as honest about such discrimination and blame it on something else.
    You do point out yourself many Christian scientists. I do not believe that a scientist would face the situation described, unless it directly impinged on his / her work. For example Michael Behe has not done too badly; indeed, my own boss trained initially as a minister and has two degrees in theology.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 04:07
    Lots of religious colleges require a statement of faith, and the laws and courts of the United States do not prevent this. The ad simply notes that Simpson University is such a college.

Some of these religious colleges have part-time faculty that are not required to sign a statement of faith, although such a statement is a prerequisite for tenure-track status. Among these colleges, all full-time employees might be expected to affirm faith consistent with the college mission. Not only faculty, but office staff, janitors, gardners, and so on.
  15. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 22:28
    But you could then be sacked, or worse, sued, if they found out your "dirty little secret"!
    Not really, because if you say you are religious there is no way for anyone to find ot otherwise. Unless of course you got hired at the evangelical college, then went around promoting atheism to the students, in which case they would have a perfect right to fire you as you would be at odds with their mission satement to indocrnate their students with the evangelical faith.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree