1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jun '08 20:46
    In the film "King of Kings" with Jeffry Hunter as Jesus, there's a scene where Jesus instructs His disciples to go teach others what He has taught them. One of the disciples asks what they should charge. Jesus simply says, "You have received without payment, give without payment.".

    Should religious instruction be "without payment" like the air we breath?
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    9174
    26 Jun '08 20:58
    Sure, why not?

    Although at least in a number of European countries the tithe is mandatory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe) - which is insane if you ask me. At least in most of those countries you can avoid it.

    The fact that in Austria you have to declare in writing that you aren't catholic to avoid paying it is ridiculous. If anything it should be "opt in" and not "opt out".
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jun '08 21:02
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Sure, why not?

    Although at least in a number of European countries the tithe is mandatory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe) - which is insane if you ask me. At least in most of those countries you can avoid it.

    The fact that in Austria you have to declare in writing that you aren't catholic to avoid paying it is ridiculous. If anything it should be "opt in" and not "opt out".
    No tithing. No acceptance of payment whatsoever.

    It would set religion on a completely different pardigm than it is now. I'm thinking this would be a very good thing.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    26 Jun '08 21:11
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No tithing. No acceptance of payment whatsoever.

    It would set religion on a completely different pardigm than it is now. I'm thinking this would be a very good thing.
    Go and do it then. Just set up your own religion and off you go. Do you believe your Father ( and jesus's) would assist you in such a cause via the Spirit?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jun '08 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Go and do it then. Just set up your own religion and off you go. Do you believe your Father ( and jesus's) would assist you in such a cause via the Spirit?
    What's your point?

    Do you not see Christianity as part of religion? I found this interpretation of the words of Jesus to be quite interesting.

    Is this another example of how you aren't following me around?

    You continue prove yourself a liar.
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    26 Jun '08 21:441 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What's your point?

    Do you not see Christianity as part of religion? I found this interpretation of the words of Jesus to be quite interesting.

    Is this another example of how you aren't following me around?

    You continue prove yourself a liar.
    My point is that you are critical about religion , critical about St Paul (and extrapolations) , critical of GW (although that's fair enough) but there comes a point where it's necessary to be positive and do something uncritical.

    To me , if you believe that Jesus and his Father have been sold out by religion then you need to start your own movement and recruit members and get us involved in how we might all overcome sin etc etc.

    I don't understand what you achieve by your criticisms. There's an old saying - "Don't fight the darkness with the light , just make the light shine brighter" . Jesus said we should not hide our light under a bushell ---but I don't see what light you have - you come across as quite nebulus and hidden. You need to put across your message and back it up with your life. Religion has many faults but at least people are doing something and trying to share what they perceive as the light of Jesus. To me that's a lot harder than criticising form the sidelines.

    For example , you have been critical of some examples I have given of sound Christians like Bono who are actually involved and getting their hands dirty saving lives and being positive about the future and justice and spreading their understanding of Jesus. You see to me Christianity is about contributers and not knockers.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    26 Jun '08 21:47
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    In the film "King of Kings" with Jeffry Hunter as Jesus, there's a scene where Jesus instructs His disciples to go teach others what He has taught them. One of the disciples asks what they should charge. Jesus simply says, "You have received without payment, give without payment.".

    Should religious instruction be "without payment" like the air we breath?
    Yes. Because "religious" instruction is worthless.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jun '08 21:57
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    My point is that you are critical about religion , critical about St Paul (and extrapolations) , critical of GW (although that's fair enough) but there comes a point where it's necessary to be positive and do something uncritical.

    To me , if you believe that Jesus and his Father have been sold out by religion then you need to start your own movemen ...[text shortened]... erstanding of Jesus. You see to me Christianity is about contributers and not knockers.
    Start another thread then. Stop following me around and misrepresenting my postion.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jun '08 21:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes. Because "religious" instruction is worthless.
    I'm well aware that the teachings of Jesus are worthless to you. You've made that perfectly clear.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    26 Jun '08 22:07
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Start another thread then. Stop following me around and misrepresenting my postion.
    That's a good idea. Bear in mind that I am not following you around , I am trying to correct your misrepresentations of Jesus. I will continue to do so , maybe next time I need to shine my light a little harder.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    26 Jun '08 22:21
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    In the film "King of Kings" with Jeffry Hunter as Jesus, there's a scene where Jesus instructs His disciples to go teach others what He has taught them. One of the disciples asks what they should charge. Jesus simply says, "You have received without payment, give without payment.".

    Should religious instruction be "without payment" like the air we breath?
    Your question is sort of simplistic. It would be like asking if an antibiotic should cost the same as brain surgery. There is all kinds of religious instruction. There is religious instruction on this site and it is free. You get a little higher quality "instruction" the more you "invest."

    Of course, what I offer in terms of instruction is priceless.
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    26 Jun '08 22:28
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I'm well aware that the teachings of Jesus are worthless to you. You've made that perfectly clear.
    The teachings of Jesus as you represent them are worthless.

    It's too bad you keep singing that same old one note song. Even the atheists around here are more open minded than you. I've never had more trouble talking about spiritual things with anyone else as I do with you. You only want to argue. And you can't even do that very well.

    I find it extremely difficult to have mercy on you. Why don't you stop being a butt head and try to engage in a relatively normal debate. As a matter of fact, why don't you Google "debate" and learn something?
  13. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    26 Jun '08 22:30
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Your question is sort of simplistic. It would be like asking if an antibiotic should cost the same as brain surgery. There is all kinds of religious instruction. There is religious instruction on this site and it is free. You get a little higher quality "instruction" the more you "invest."

    Of course, what I offer in terms of instruction is priceless.
    "Of course, what I offer in terms of instruction is priceless."

    I long for to read your posts. Seriously. You have helped me in innumerable ways. Levity for example.
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    9174
    26 Jun '08 23:15
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No tithing. No acceptance of payment whatsoever.

    It would set religion on a completely different pardigm than it is now. I'm thinking this would be a very good thing.
    How would they pay their fees then?

    I'm personally in favor of removing the exemption from property taxes and other taxes that most churches have.

    I guess it would be good if it were possible, but I just don't think it would be practical.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    26 Jun '08 23:31
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Your question is sort of simplistic. It would be like asking if an antibiotic should cost the same as brain surgery. There is all kinds of religious instruction. There is religious instruction on this site and it is free. You get a little higher quality "instruction" the more you "invest."

    Of course, what I offer in terms of instruction is priceless.
    Perhaps you miss the point. The teacher of a religion with compassion as one of its basic tenets should freely and gladly share his knowledge with others in order to help them. The quality of such knowledge is immaterial under such a scenario. Perhaps charging to share such knowledge is an indicator that the quality is not very high.
Back to Top