1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 13:51
    Originally posted by Phranny
    As an agnostic humanist, I often get the impression that Christians feel so uncontrollably evil inside that the only thing keeping them from doing evil deeds is their fear of eternal suffering in Hell. I find this lack of true compassion and love very sad.
    what about me, i am Christian that does not profess belief in hell. I dont even think its Biblical. How can you possibly profess to know what motivates an individual?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '13 13:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    when you put a ladle into a pot of soup, you take a piece of it, 'ladle into', means just that, 'I want a piece of you!',

I suppose it could be likened to trolling, but please spare us the sordid details of your atheistic iniquities!
    'but please spare us the sordid details of your atheistic iniquities!

me sordid!!! you are the one that said 'I want a piece of you!' must i remind you that this is a chess site robbie, not broke back mountain.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 May '13 13:56
    no its just hard to say what might motivate an individual, although in truth i know why i said it, its ladle into the atheists day, i just wanted a piece 😵
    I see. We'll file that one into the 'Robbie making it up as he goes along' category.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:03
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [b] 'but please spare us the sordid details of your atheistic iniquities!

me sordid!!! you are the one that said 'I want a piece of you!' must i remind you that this is a chess site robbie, not broke back mountain.[/b]
    sigh you culturally bereft Englander, wanting a piece of someone is asking for a fight!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I see. We'll file that one into the 'Robbie making it up as he goes along' category.
    well you guys wade into the Christians, so why not turn the tables?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:08
    what about me, i am Christian that does not profess belief in hell. I dont even think its Biblical. How can you possibly profess to know what motivates an individual?
    just out of interest why dont j.w's believe in hell? is it a translation thing?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:09
    hey joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?
    Goin' down to shoot my old lady. Caught her messin' around... around...around.... 😉
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:09
    well you guys wade into the Christians, so why not turn the tables?
    we never need to 'wade in' it more like ten pin bowling.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:091 edit
    just out of interest why dont j.w's believe in hell? is it a translation thing?
    Its not Biblical, its an extra biblical pagan teaching derived from the Greeks. Like the trinity and the immortality of the soul.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:11
    Its not Biblical, its an extra biblical pagan teaching derived from the Greeks.
    i dont quite follow. what do you mean its not biblical? it is mentioned in the bible isnt it?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:131 edit
    i dont quite follow. what do you mean its not biblical? it is mentioned in the bible isnt it?
    there are certain Greek and Hebrew words that are translated as Hell in some translations, but the term itself is not Biblical, neither is the doctrine.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:17
    there are certain Greek and Hebrew words that are translated as Hell in some translations, but the term itself is not Biblical, neither is the doctrine.
    surely the translations are just giving name to something that is described in the bible? it may not be named 'hell' but isnt there a place described in the bible with an enternal flame where the devil will be sent?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:23
    surely the translations are just giving name to something that is described in the bible? it may not be named 'hell' but isnt there a place described in the bible with an enternal flame where the devil will be sent?
    no they are translating a term which means the common grave as Hell, which is something quite different. Attempts have been made to substantiate the doctrine, but it does not hold up under scrutiny and the weight of evidence.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:29
    no they are translating a term which means the common grave as Hell, which is something quite different. Attempts have been made to substantiate the doctrine, but it does not hold up under scrutiny and the weight of evidence.
    “Then he will say 41 to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels! "

is this not a biblical description of hell?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 May '13 14:454 edits

Under scrutiny you are incorrect about Christ [not] discribing such a punishment.

And now I put the question to you. What could be so horrible that it would be better for Judas Iscariot that he had never been born ? What could possibly be so bad that non-birth and non existence would have been preferable ?

"The Son of Man is going away, even as it is written concerning Him, but woe to that man through whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born." (Matt. 26:24)

Can you answer just this specific question without evasion ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree