1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 16:09
    I think it safe to say morality from biblical sources is somewhat like morality from other religions like Islam or Bahai or hindu or Buddhism.

The thing any single religion says is their religion is THE correct religion.

So all of these religions can't be right, some of them have to be man made and only YOUR religion is true.

This kind of thinking can be applied to ALL of these religions, from their viewpoint, a DEITY set up the rules of morality and so forth.

Considering they all say stuff like don't kill, don't steal, leave your buddy's wife alone, honor your mom and dad, etc., it seems if you accept only YOUR religion as having been inspired by a deity, how come all the OTHER religions have similar morality rules?

Could it somehow be that NONE of them were inspired by a deity but simply most human cultures, being composed of more or less intelligent people, comes up with similar mores and such and therefore they ALL just made up these religions out of thin air?

The thing that gripes me about the religious set is the idea that Atheists are somehow floundering around unable to come up with their own moral code.

I think it is just the opposite. Since there are hundreds of religions around the world, each one thinking THEIRS is THE religion, THEY are the ones floundering around trying to come up with moral codes.

It never seems to dawn on people that humans are quite capable of figuring out it is not nice to kill your grandma or steal from your brother or sister and by extension don't steal from anyone.

Why is that such a huge deal that humans can't work that out on their own without the need for a deity to tell them.

It seems to me to denigrate human intelligence to REQUIRE a deity to tell us what is good and what is not.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think it safe to say morality from biblical sources is somewhat like morality from other religions like Islam or Bahai or hindu or Buddhism.

The thing any single religion says is their religion is THE correct religion.

So all of these religions can't be right, some of them have to be man made and only YOUR religion is true.

This kind of thinking ...[text shortened]... o me to denigrate human intelligence to REQUIRE a deity to tell us what is good and what is not.
    ",..how come all the OTHER religions have similar morality rules?"

Ever wonder why the major religions have basically the same story of the origin of life? The knowledge of a creator was universally know by all civilizations from the beginning. The problem is is that the story takes on twists and turns as time goes by, but the fundamentals of morality remain basically the same because morality ensures survival and positive development.

The reason why Biblical morality, and the whole story contained therein is the correct one, is because it was delivered to a select group of individuals inspired by God.

How do I know this is true? In the same way you would know it's true, but you've already made up your mind that it isn't, so you can't, that is unless you really want to know, then you will first have to admit to yourself you need a saviour.

Do you want to die, or live forever?
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]",..how come all the OTHER religions have similar morality rules?"

Ever wonder why the major religions have basically the same story of the origin of life? The knowledge of a creator was universally know by all civilizations from the beginning. The problem is is that the story takes on twists and turns as time goes by, but the fundamentals of moral ...[text shortened]... will first have to admit to yourself you need a saviour.

Do you want to die, or live forever?[/b]
    There's something in what you've posted I'm interested in. I started to get the impression of this in an exchange with sonship in another recent thread. Your case seems to be that all humans secretly know God exists, created the universe and so forth, and that this is a priori knowledge and that atheists are in denial of this?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:47
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Your case seems to be that all humans secretly know God exists, created the universe and so forth, and that this is a priori knowledge and that atheists are in denial of this?
    A poster called FreakyKBH ~ who used to post quite a lot ~ seemed to believe this was the case.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:48
    There's something in what you've posted I'm interested in. I started to get the impression of this in an exchange with sonship in another recent thread. Your case seems to be that all humans secretly know God exists, created the universe and so forth, and that this is a priori knowledge and that atheists are in denial of this?
    If we are to believe that, then on what basis do we make that conclusion?

We base it on the authority of the Word of God. Certainly no mere mortal has such authority.

If the "Truth" isn't of Devine origin, then who is there to believe? Do we believe some man when he tells us "there is no God", based on his own authority? Or even that there is a creator God?

There's only one we can believe with absolute confidence. But that's just me saying that!

I hope I answered your question satisfactorily.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:52
    If we are to believe that, then on what basis do we make that conclusion?

We base it on the authority of the Word of God. Certainly no mere mortal has such authority.

If the "Truth" isn't of Devine origin, then who is there to believe? Do we believe some man when he tells us "there is no God", based on his own authority? Or even that there [b]is
    a ...[text shortened]... e confidence. But that's just me saying that!

I hope I answered your question satisfactorily.[/b]
    This is probably worth a separate thread. I think I'll start one.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    A poster called FreakyKBH ~ who used to post quite a lot ~ seemed to believe this was the case.
    We base that conclusion, that God is obvious, on Romans 1:19, 20.

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.
    For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

God is known(to exist)because it is "clearly seen" and "understood by" what exists.

No excuses!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 23:57
    This is probably worth a separate thread. I think I'll start one.
    I'll do my best to be engaged, but my postings may be sporadic as I am quite busy with a full schedule. 🙁
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 00:12
    I'll do my best to be engaged, but my postings may be sporadic as I am quite busy with a full schedule. 🙁
    No problem, the thread I started is: Thread 163560
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 00:31
    We base that conclusion, that God is obvious, on Romans 1:19, 20.

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.
    For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excu ...[text shortened]... d is known(to exist)because it is "clearly seen" and "understood by" what exists.

No excuses!
    So you believe that all people secretly (or otherwise) "know" that the Christian God exists?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 00:39
    I'm not all surprised that we all share many of the same ideas on what is
    right and wrong, I think you'd be hard pressed to find some ideas that are
    completely different such as where loyalty is thought of as bad and being
    a traitor is highly prized. Scripturally speaking we all know:

Romans 2:14

(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 00:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you believe that all people secretly (or otherwise) "know" that the Christian God exists?
    That is basically what scripture says. So you have free will to believe it or not. 😏
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 01:042 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is basically what scripture says. So you have free will to believe it or not. 😏
    I don't for one minute think that what Christian scripture just so happens to say ~ which affects what you claim to "know" ~ has any actual effect on what non-Christians (similarly) "know" and believe. The suggestion that all theists everywhere somehow, on some level, "know" the Christians are right is as ludicrous as ugly Brit and American tourists shouting slowly at local natives in English because they believe that 'deep down' all humans understand English. 😉
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 10:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    ...I think you'd be hard pressed to find some ideas that are
    completely different such as where loyalty is thought of as bad and being
    a traitor is highly prized...
    Loyalty to an oppressive dictator may look bad in most people's eyes, and betraying said dictator may look good in most people's eyes.

I hope.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '15 10:09

Do you want to die, or live forever?
    Living forever is a frightening prospect if you think about it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree