1. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 04:44
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Yeah, but Christians are a queer bunch --- they think it's OK to love and respect their enemies, let alone those lacking in talent or social graces. Their opinion on this matter, therefore, cannot be trusted. 😉
    They cannot be trusted because what they say and what they do are two totally different things. Many Christians show little or no love or respect for people of other religions or even fellow Christians of different denominations.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 05:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think we have all been there. In fact, one coworker of mine came at me with everything she had but I did not render evil for evil. As painful as it was, I tunred the other cheek. And guess what, to make a long story short she buried the hatchet one day and made peace wth me. I can't say this has worked every time, but at least you have a fighting chance for a desirable outcome.
    I 'm never looking for problems but I never turn the other cheek; I never ask neither for sympathy nor for mercy; when I am charged my enemy charges thin air whilst he is under attack😵
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 07:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It has been put that respect needs to be earned.
    I been thinking about this for years. I actually respect people automatically and give them a chance to prove it. I guess this line of reasoning comes from my spiritual orientation. After all, what is there to lose? Cause there is sure a lot to be gained.
    Do yous know what I'm getting at?
    (Of course I ...[text shortened]... style. I'm always going to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise)
    You may be confusing respect and trust. I don't respect anyone until there is a reason for me to respect them. I may not like them, I may not trust them, I may love them; but they have displayed something to me that has earned my respect of their ability to do whatever it is I admire.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 09:03
    Yeah, but Christians are a queer bunch --- they think it's OK to love and respect their enemies, let alone those lacking in talent or social graces. Their opinion on this matter, therefore, cannot be trusted. 😉
    i don't think it says anything about respect. love yes. jesus says you should love your enemies, forgive them etc. i doubt he says you should look up to murderers and rapists.

respect means acknowledging of merit. wish to emulate. it has to be based on something. love is the blind and unconditional one.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 13:47
    Originally posted by black beetle
    I 'm never looking for problems but I never turn the other cheek; I never ask neither for sympathy nor for mercy; when I am charged my enemy charges thin air whilst he is under attack😵
    there is no enemy for there is no I 🙂
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 16:342 edits
    Originally posted by black beetle
    So basically it is a duel to the death. Wouldn't it be better to find a way to "save" both involved?

For me, its not about being taken advantage of. My view is you can stand your ground without being vengeful. The perspective I have is that the other party either has a misunderstanding with me thinking I am out to get them or they actually are out to get me. Either way I approach it as them needing to "see the light" so to speak. How will they ever do so if I seek vengence?
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 07:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    So basically it is a duel to the death. Wouldn't it be better to find a way to "save" both involved?

For me, its not about being taken advantage of. My view is you can stand your ground without being vengeful. The perspective I have is that the other party either has a misunderstanding with me thinking I am out to get them or they actually are out to ge ...[text shortened]... them needing to "see the light" so to speak. How will they ever do so if I seek vengence?
    I was not talking about vengeance. I was talking about my attitude. Kindly please feel free to turn your other cheek whenever you are under life threatening attack. I definately feel free to defend myself in my convenience whenever I 'm under life threatening attack or whenever the people I love are under life threatening attack. I tolerate not attacks of this kind😵
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 07:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there is no enemy for there is no I 🙂
    "I" is an empty projection of one's mind regarding self; Je Suis Prest to help any life threatening evil spirit to break free from its cell😵
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 08:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They cannot be trusted because what they say and what they do are two totally different things. Many Christians show little or no love or respect for people of other religions or even fellow Christians of different denominations.
    Where are these "many Christians" you and others are always harping on? I have yet to meet any of them.
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 08:443 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i don't think it says anything about respect. love yes. jesus says you should love your enemies, forgive them etc. i doubt he says you should look up to murderers and rapists.

respect means acknowledging of merit. wish to emulate. it has to be based on something. love is the blind and unconditional one.
    First of all, if you think it is possible to love someone without respecting them, then I doubt you fully comprehend yet what love is.

Secondly, where is it written that love can be blind but respect cannot?

When a Christian loves and respects her enemy, it isn't due to any merit the enemy may or may not possess. A Christian loves her enemies for God's sake since all people are made in His image. Christ calls us to be as perfect in this respect as God, who shows loving-kindness even to the most wicked in order that they too might repent and believe. All Christians were once enemies of God and will be held accountable if they do not extend the same love and respect to others that they themselves have received in abundance.

BTW, "looking up to" and "wishing to emulate" sounds more like adoration to me than respect.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 06:23
    Originally posted by Badwater
    You may be confusing respect and trust. I don't respect anyone until there is a reason for me to respect them. I may not like them, I may not trust them, I may love them; but they have displayed something to me that has earned my respect of their ability to do whatever it is I admire.
    ya! i may be confusing them. But seriously, I respect total strangers. I am them and they are me.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 09:53
    First of all, if you think it is possible to love someone without respecting them, then I doubt you fully comprehend yet what love is.

Secondly, where is it written that love can be blind but respect cannot?

When a Christian loves and respects her enemy, it isn't due to any merit the enemy may or may not possess. A Christian loves her enemies for ...[text shortened]... king up to" and "wishing to emulate" sounds more like adoration to me than respect.
    then we disagree. respect and love do not go hand in hand. you can love someone without respecting him and you can respect someone without loving them. i can love my son or daughter even if they are drug addicts losers that threw away their lives. or thieves. or toilet cleaners in a vietnames second rate brothel. what is so respectable about those kinds of person?

you love your dog. you love the rain. you love chocolates. you love your children. is respect an issue here? my view is that love AND respect should be earned. sometimes however love can be unconditional. respect shoul never be. respect should be based on something worthy of respect.

"When a Christian loves and respects her enemy"
    do you respect hitler? did he do anything to deserve respect? if you can bring yourself to love him in spite of his "accomplishments" you are an ideal christian. if you respect him you are a fool.

BTW, "looking up to" and "wishing to emulate" sounds more like adoration to me than respect.
    we disagree again. you don't have to adore an honest judge to wish to emulate him. i don't adore nelson mandela. i do look up to him. i respect him because he has some qualities i wish to have as well. i wish to be more like him.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 09:56
    ya! i may be confusing them. But seriously, I respect total strangers. I am them and they are me.
    would you say you respect total strangers in the same way and/or same amount as you respect martin luther king? or beethoven? or ghandi?

if yes, do you not think the latter should be more deserving than total strangers? if no do you not think you should be using different words for two concepts that are clearly different?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 11:07
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    would you say you respect total strangers in the same way and/or same amount as you respect martin luther king? or beethoven? or ghandi?

if yes, do you not think the latter should be more deserving than total strangers? if no do you not think you should be using different words for two concepts that are clearly different?
    What I am saying is this: When I meet someone I have an innate respect for them. They can maintain, add to,or quickly lose my respect for them depending on how they deal with me. Understand?
    I have heard some of the worst stories about some people(which may or may not be true), but its how they deal with me that determines our relationship. I could meet a serial rapist (without me knowing they are a rapist) who is a complete prick to everyone , but maybe for that 3minutes that I interact with them I will not use second hand information to base an opinion on them. I will deal with them on their dealings with me, not on what others say about them.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 13:42
    What I am saying is this: When I meet someone I have an innate respect for them. They can maintain, add to,or quickly lose my respect for them depending on how they deal with me. Understand?
    I have heard some of the worst stories about some people(which may or may not be true), but its how they deal with me that determines our relationship. I could mee ...[text shortened]... ion on them. I will deal with them on their dealings with me, not on what others say about them.
    dude, you have some problems in you reasoning there. most likely it is due to your inability to make your points understood.

you cannot base your relationship with someone solely on your dealings with them. you meet a serial rapist and he is nice to you. and you respect him (after a while, of course). if someone says he is a serial rapist you can display disbelief because he didn't rape you. but if that someone proves he is a serial rapist you cannot maintain the same level of respect, no sane person who doesn't condone rapists can.

basically whenever you meet someone new you start with level 1 respect(which is politeness) and depending on new information you raise or lower said respect.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree