1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 May '10 14:43
    Originally posted by vistesd
    We could further complicate this by examining cultural/social conditioning (particularly at young ages, even pre-verbal) that may affect not just what we think but how we think, and how we frame our perceptions. It is possible that, upon reflective introspection, we might discover natural dispositions and evolved instinctive responses that were suppressed a ...[text shortened]... at story is about an immediate survival situation. Your inquiry is much broader, I realize. 🙂
    That third one is our ancestor…
    Well, I guess we should thank you for leaping in front of the tiger for the rest of us!
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 May '10 14:49
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"It is possible that, upon reflective introspection, we might discover natural dispositions and evolved instinctive responses that were suppressed and/or atrophied by such conditioning, but that we might discover are valuable for our everyday surviving/thriving."

Did you mean this as a question vistesd? If so I find this question very interesting a ...[text shortened]... at not suggest that there is some kind of substance to spirit in order for there to be a link?[/b]
    As a witness, I guess you don't buy into the whole evolution thing, but survival instinct is rather strongly selected for in nature.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    22 May '10 14:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]That third one is our ancestor…
    Well, I guess we should thank you for leaping in front of the tiger for the rest of us![/b]
    ba dum tish

The crowd remain silent
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 May '10 15:10
    Originally posted by Agerg
    ba dum tish

The crowd remain silent
    I don't get no respect...
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 May '10 19:07
    [b]"It is possible that, upon reflective introspection, we might discover natural dispositions and evolved instinctive responses that were suppressed and/or atrophied by such conditioning, but that we might discover are valuable for our everyday surviving/thriving."

Did you mean this as a question vistesd? If so I find this question very interesting a ...[text shortened]... at not suggest that there is some kind of substance to spirit in order for there to be a link?[/b]
    I can like feel that "survival instinct" and let it pass on by . Its training. Training your psyche to understand that you are not this body and that "fearful feeling" can be negated.

Mind you every now and then I get the b'jesus scared out of me when a door slams or something.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    23 May '10 03:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I can like feel that "survival instinct" and let it pass on by . Its training. Training your psyche to understand that you are not this body and that "fearful feeling" can be negated.

Mind you every now and then I get the b'jesus scared out of me when a door slams or something.
    You were not there before you found your bodysoul there; your happening to find it there caused it to be there😵
  7. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    23 May '10 10:251 edit
    I see a lot of people ready to blame anyone and everyone (including a non-existent god) for their misfortune. These same peole have trouble acknowledging those same people when things go well. Such a childish attitude!
    Imo taking responsibilty for the outcomes around them is a very mature and constructive way to view to the world.
    Even when the blame our origonal state and understand our real Self which is connected with our immortal nature.
    Conversely one frequently finds those who believe in a benificent almighty deity, who looks after their personal interests, thenking him for having saved them from some disaster or another but who are quite content to make excuses for him when disaster overakes others.
    For example, the unedifying spectacle of hundreds of deluded Mohammedans being crushed to death as they circumambulated their stone idol in the Kaaba a few years ago.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 May '10 01:02
    Originally posted by black beetle
    You were not there before you found your bodysoul there; your happening to find it there caused it to be there😵
    Rephrase please?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 09:33
    Now I understand. Took me a while😀
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 09:57
    Now I understand. Took me a while😀
    What did you understand?
    😵
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 17:49
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Hi, nice to see you around.

I definitely agree with you. If we take an all things considered approach to this, I think it would be difficult to overstate the importance of cultural/social conditioning. I was mostly targeting some kind of personal input that comes later in development, but even that subject is itself probably wrapped up inextricably w ...[text shortened]... g legacies for good or ill. And characters are never transparent to their possessors...."[/i]
    Thank you, LJ. I find that too extensive an involvement here distracts from my contemplative life. However, I find it helpful to "think out loud", so to speak, on here from time to time--and get some challenges to my thinking.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 17:50

Really just "thinking out loud", Joseph. So maybe everything that I say should be treated as a question...
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 22:15
    What did you understand?
    😵
    Time is an act of measurement
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 03:30
    Time is an act of measurement
    So you clarified that the mind is amongst else a hard real-time application too.

And then?
    😵
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 00:29
    So you clarified that the mind is amongst else a hard real-time application too.

And then?
    😵
    I dont know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree