1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 May '13 23:42
    Originally posted by JS357

o None of the above/other: This forum can only be improved by the Second Coming.
    Would have thought you'd choose: (b)
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 May '13 00:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Would have thought you'd choose: (b)
    My suggestion would settle all the matter.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '13 06:02

My suggestion would settle all the matter.
    His Second Coming's a bit late for RHP Spirituality Forum Improvement, don't you think.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 May '13 14:23
    His Second Coming's a bit late for RHP Spirituality Forum Improvement, don't you think.
    I've been told the Spirituality forum was established because these same kind of hateful attacks were occurring in Debates and were moved out for reasons that are now obvious. This is an object lesson in how prone civil relations are to degeneracy at the hands of a few. Perhaps the forum should be re-named Religion, and a new Philosophy forum should be established. It won't get much more traction than Culture, but it will be a place to go where hopefully, self-righteous condemnations will be scarcer.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '13 14:313 edits
    Sure, twhitehead . To paraphrase one of the English Empiricists whose name escapes me, 'We arrive at the truth through honest disagreement among friends'. Improvement of any conversation regarding the spiritual dimension of human life (as opposed to topics of a materialistic nature) begins with a premise of [b]"Tolerance" of Others" embracing opposi ve the privilege of requesting from each other is a fair shake, "Please Listen". (gb)[/b]
    That would be great, a sign of humanity actually growing up. But with the plethora of diametrically opposed religions on the planet where humans have the emotional level of 12 year old children, that is not going to happen in a thousand years and in absolute fact has not happened in TWO thousand years.

That is one of my main objections to religion. I say with all my heart, a god would NEVER set up so many diametrically opposed religions where one religion calls for the death of people of another religion. That is built in to Christianity AND Islam. It is written in stone in both the bible and the Quran. That is IMPOSSIBLE to change since it is the constitution of both religions. There is no getting out of that. NO GOD WOULD DO THAT. Therefore it is clear in my mind, the entire edifice of these religions is ENTIRELY made up by men to control other men and put women on a lower plane than men.

All you have to do is look at the rants of people like RJ Hinds to see that and the ranting of Islamists also.

I say if a god actually set all this up, it is supposed to be the same god since Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic religions. A god setting up such a self defeating system would be in my mind one sick insane individual.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '13 15:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse

That would be great, a sign of humanity actually growing up. But with the plethora of diametrically opposed religions on the planet where humans have the emotional level of 12 year old children, that is not going to happen in a thousand years and in absolute fact has not happened in TWO thousand years.

That is one of my main objections to religion. I say ...[text shortened]... gions. A god setting up such a self defeating system would be in my mind one sick insane individual.
    "That would be great, a sign of humanity actually growing up. But with the plethora of diametrically opposed religions on the planet where humans have the emotional level of 12 year old children, that is not going to happen in a thousand years and in absolute fact has not happened in TWO thousand years."

> Fully agree.

"That is one of my main objections to religion. I say with all my heart, a god would NEVER set up so many diametrically opposed religions where one religion calls for the death of people of another religion. That is built in to Christianity AND Islam. It is written in stone in both the bible and the Quran. That is IMPOSSIBLE to change since it is the constitution of both religions. There is no getting out of that. NO GOD WOULD DO THAT. Therefore it is clear in my mind, the entire edifice of these religions is ENTIRELY made up by men to control other men and put women on a lower plane than men."

>> He wouldn't and didn't. Men did. Belief in the Person of the Risen Christ results in a permanent relationship with The Son of God, The Father and Holy Spirit (in time and eternity). Christianity has elevated the status of women whenever and wherever it's taken hold. Those who promote anything less are seriously uninformed or misguided.

"All you have to do is look at the rants of people like RJ Hinds to see that and the ranting of Islamists also."

> Intolerance of opposing points of view [if practiced within the laws of nations and countries adhering to establishment principles of morality] is neither supported nor endorsed by the Inspired Word of God. There are no exceptions.

"I say if a god actually set all this up, it is supposed to be the same god since Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic religions. A god setting up such a self defeating system would be in my mind one sick insane individual."

>> God is not the author of chaos and confusion; both are caused by human disobedience to law and morality codes. (gb)
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 May '13 15:43
    [b]"That would be great, a sign of humanity actually growing up. But with the plethora of diametrically opposed religions on the planet where humans have the emotional level of 12 year old children, that is not going to happen in a thousand years and in absolute fact has not happened in TWO thousand years."

> Fully agree.

"That is one of m ...[text shortened]... and confusion; both are caused by human disobedience to law and morality codes. (gb)
    There we have it, a most eloquent verification of sonhouse's point.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '13 16:52

There we have it, a most eloquent verification of sonhouse's point.
    "That would be great, a sign of humanity actually growing up. But with the plethora of diametrically opposed religions on the planet where humans have the emotional level of 12 year old children, that is not going to happen in a thousand years and in absolute fact has not happened in TWO thousand years."

> Fully agree.

Yep.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 May '13 18:571 edit

> Fully agree.

Yep.
    I feel the forum improving already. Oops there it goes back again.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '13 20:28

I feel the forum improving already. Oops there it goes back again.
    o More Contributors who know what they believe and would like to objectively present their points of view. (a)

o More Contributors who are uncertain as to their views concerning ultimate reality yet are still searching. (b)

> (a) and (b) personified, thanks to you.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 23:29
    ".. with the plethora of diametrically opposed religions on the planet ...."

Yep.
    As there is a "plethora" can you give an example of two
    "diametrically opposed religions" ?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

"diametrically opposed religions" ?
    "diametrically opposed religions" ? (wolfgang w/sonhouse quote)

Yes, Absolute Truth is diametrically opposed to all religions per se which are codified by man: and in which, man by man's efforts and good works strives in a futile attempt to gain the Approval of God. Unlike and the Opposite of Christianity, which is based on realization that God's Son has already done the work of a Substitutionary Spiritual Death (separation from Him for three hours during crucifixion) to satisfy or Propitiate the Absolute Justice of God. Through Faith Alone in Christ Alone we receive the Grace Gift of salvation; and personal relationship in time and eternity. Separation's the alternative. (gb)

"Fortunately, there is such a God. He has revealed His truth to us through His Word, the Bible. Knowing absolute truth/universal truth is only possible through a personal relationship with the One who claims to be the Truth—Jesus Christ. Jesus claimed to be the only way, the only truth, the only life and the only path to God (John 14:6). The fact that absolute truth does exist points us to the truth that there is a sovereign God who created the heavens and the earth and who has revealed Himself to us in order that we might know Him personally through His Son Jesus Christ. That is the absolute truth." (S. Michael Houdmann) www.gotquestions.org/absolute-truth.html#ixzz2VZp4abxr
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 01:28
    [bYes, ...[/b]
    Give an example of TWO religions (eg Christianity and another) which
    are "diametrically" opposed. And show why.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 01:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Give an example of TWO religions (eg Christianity and another) which
    are "diametrically" opposed. And show why.
    How urgent and demanding. Nonetheless, the phrase "diametrically opposed" belongs to sonhouse. In context, I agreed with his observation. The question you've asked I answered accurately, to the best of my ability. Sorry you dislike the answer.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 02:02
    How urgent and demanding. Nonetheless, the phrase "diametrically opposed" belongs to sonhouse. In context, I agreed with his observation. The question you've asked I answered accurately, to the best of my ability. Sorry you dislike the answer.
    You didn't give an answer so there was nothing to dislike.

My point is that at their core all religions are the same; moral codes based on not killing each other, stealing or enjoying sex. ... oh and various devices
    to ensure that offspring are suitably indoctrinated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree