1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 02:08
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You didn't give an answer so there was nothing to dislike.

My point is that at their core all religions are the same; moral codes based on not killing each other, stealing or enjoying sex. ... oh and various devices
    to ensure that offspring are suitably indoctrinated.
    Good night. Thanks for today. gb
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 03:231 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is one of my main objections to religion. I say with all my heart, a god would NEVER set up so many diametrically opposed religions where one religion calls for the death of people of another religion. That is built in to Christianity AND Islam. It is written in stone in both the bible and the Quran.
    Would you please show me where in the Bible the command to kill others specifically because they are of a different religion exists? I am already aware of its existence in the Qu'ran.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 13:11
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Would you please show me where in the Bible the command to kill others specifically because they are of a different religion exists? I am already aware of its existence in the Qu'ran.
    Dueteronomy 13.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 13:14
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Dueteronomy 13.
    Not presuming to answer for Darfius, I will take time to read Deuteronomy 13.

I promise to be fair.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 13:364 edits
    Dueteronomy 13.
    If I count the Isrealite prophet leading Israel after another god as pursuing "a different religion" then yes.

I would say, yes - for the theocratic nation of Old Testament Israel, we have an instruction to put to death the false prophet.

The death sentence is to the prophet leading the nation's people way from Yahweh -

"But that prophet of that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has advocated apostasy from Jehovah your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt." (v.5)

Latter in v13 an "investigation" and examination shall be made of a rumor "thoroughly". In other words not on a mob whim or the hysteria of a frenzied rumor. The inhabitants of the town under careful investigation for leading the theocratic nation of Old Testament Israel after other gods should be "utterly" destroyed.

Now sonhouse said that Christianity has such a capital punishment for following another religion built into it. Can you find me in the teaching of Jesus or the four Gospels or any of the epistles a corresponding command?

Ie. The false prophet leading away from Jesus Christ is to be put to death ?

I suspect not. But for the Old Testament theocratic nation of Israel Deuteronomy 13 does have a capital punishment for leading the nation to another god besides the God Yahweh who led them out of Egypt.

I couldn't say anything like this commanded in Deuteronomy was "built into" the New Testament Gospel. Likewise the one time event of the conquest of the land of Canaan has no corresponding teaching from Jesus in the New Testament either.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 13:441 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    If I count the prophet leading Israel after another god as pursuing "a different religion" then yes.

I would say, yes - for the theocratic nation of Old Testament Israel, we have an instruction to put to death the false prophet.

The death sentence is to the prophet leading the nation's people way from Yahweh -

[b]"But that prophet of that nd of Canaan has no corresponding teaching from Jesus in the New Testament either.
    The death sentence is also for 'son, brother, wife, or closest friend', it's not only reserved for so called prophets.

The question was asked 'where in the Bible', I provided the answer.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 13:471 edit
    Dueteronomy 13.
    Okay Proper Knob. I said I would be fair. And I agreed.

Now I would ask you. Does this command seem to be directed toward ANY other human being of a different religion? I don't think so.

What I see is the command concerns one "in your midst" ie. of the nation, stand up and lead them astray.

What I do not see is God saying "Go over there away from the land I gave Israel where they have another religion and kill them."

To be fair God did tell Israel to drive out the inhabitants of Canaan after He had given it to Israel. The hardest of the hard were slain and without pity. The religious shrines were torn down.

Some joined Israel and coexisted with them, unslain.

Now do we see God saying "Go from the land of Israel to another land OUTSIDE of Israel. When you find someone of another religion, execute them for being of a different religion." ?

I don't think we see that kind of thing.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 13:531 edit

The death sentence is also for 'son, brother, wife, or closest friend', it's not only reserved for so called prophets.

In other words if it was a close loved relative who had this deceiving dream or false prophecy.

Okay.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 14:011 edit

In other words if it was a close loved relative who had this deceiving dream or false prophecy.

Okay.

There's nothing about dreaming or prophets in 13-6 and beyond. The text, to me anyhow, is saying that anyone, regardless if they are a loved one, should be put to death for attempting to turn someone from the Lord.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 14:163 edits
    There's nothing about dreaming or prophets in 13-6 and beyond. The text, to me anyhow, is saying that anyone, regardless if they are a loved one, should be put to death for attempting to turn someone form the Lord.

"If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is like your own soul to you entice you secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods (which neither you nor your fathers have known, Of the gods of the peoples whjo are surrounding you, those who are near you or who are far from you, from one end of the earth to the other);

You shall not yield to him nor listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him; neither shall you spare him nor conceal him;

But you must slay him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people ... and all Israel will hear and will fear and will never do anything like this evil thing in your midst again." (See vs. 6 - 11)

Okay.

I think "in your midst" of verse 1 should govern the thing.
    In the land of Israel.

During the Babylonian captivity they did not seek to execute the Chaldeans around them.
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 17:28
    Let it be known that sonship may answer for me whenever he so chooses. Well said, sir.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 19:01
    Let it be known that sonship may answer for me whenever he so chooses. Well said, sir.
    Praise the Lord Jesus Darfius,
    That is a compliment quite undeserved. Stick around for awhile. There are some good questions from time to time.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 19:19
    Praise the Lord Jesus Darfius,
    That is a compliment quite undeserved. Stick around for awhile. There are some good questions from time to time.
    Praise the Lord Jesus always. I used to debate here a few years ago, sonship, but it's good to see some decent Christian representation here now.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 19:38
    Praise the Lord Jesus always. I used to debate here a few years ago, sonship, but it's good to see some decent Christian representation here now.
    Did you go by another name ? You do not have to divulge what it was if you choose not to. I have a hunch though.
  15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Jun '13 19:46
    Did you go by another name ? You do not have to divulge what it was if you choose not to. I have a hunch though.
    I've been Darfius since I joined in 2004. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree