1. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 11:27
    Is it ever possible to right a wrong?
    This keeps coming up in this forum in the context that Jesus somehow rights the wrong of our suffering.
    It also comes up in the context of justice ie punishment for wrongs somehow fixes things.
    It has always been my opinion that preventing a wrong is better than any form of compensation. What do other people think?
  2. England
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 11:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This keeps coming up in this forum in the context that Jesus somehow rights the wrong of our suffering.
    It also comes up in the context of justice ie punishment for wrongs somehow fixes things.
    It has always been my opinion that preventing a wrong is better than any form of compensation. What do other people think?
    a] yes but the pain of the wrong lasts
    b] im not sure if you mean this world or the next.
    c] the scales of justice are in the next life, were no pain will enter your spirit/soul
    d] compensation are the lawyers goldmines, e] prevention if you mean do not sin then yes we have the laws to guide us but we fail due to our own weakness.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 14:14
    He doesn't 'right our wrongs' in the sense that you understand it. His death absorbed our sin, erased the debt caused by the same. We put ourselves into a slave market and He purchased us out of it.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 20:37
    One can only "right a wrong" by restoring the status quo before the "wrong".
    e.g. I shoplift a jumper from M&S ... on my way home the guilt is too much for me so I return to the shop and replace the jumper.

A question which arises:
    have I truly righted that wrong?
    (While I was away a customer could not find that {last!} jumper in his size)

Forgiveness
    Would M&S forgive me?
    Or make an example of me to deter others?

If you kill someone ... how do you put that right?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 21:071 edit
    This explains forgiveness very well...

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_05.htm
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 04:20
    I loosely agree with your take on this issue.
    I'm appalled by the notion that Jesus dies for our sins and hence we have less responsibility to do good. How ever you want to word it, thats basibally what it boils down to.
    I hate the 'blame game'. Its really lame. Energy wasted on who did what rather than putting into place things that will negate the problem in the first place.
    Imo , taking responsibility for the state of our own backyards, (upto and including the whole planet). Its the best way to go, however unrealistic it may seem in practice.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 04:47
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    One can only "right a wrong" by restoring the status quo before the "wrong".
    e.g. I shoplift a jumper from M&S ... on my way home the guilt is too much for me so I return to the shop and replace the jumper.
    I am more concerned about scenarios in which someone directly suffers. For example, if you beat me up and I am in hospital and in pain for three days. Will any form of compensation or forgiveness actually take that pain away, or reverse that experience?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 04:51
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    He doesn't 'right our wrongs' in the sense that you understand it. His death absorbed our sin, erased the debt caused by the same. We put ourselves into a slave market and He purchased us out of it.
    Yes I know that many people see all sins as being a payment owed to God (despite him not being the only one to suffer, if he does at all), and thus they see Jesus as a settlement of that payment.
    However, I am asking about a different concept.
    In other threads I have asked why we suffer and who is to blame, and why God created a world with suffering and continues to allows it to take place, and several posters seemed to be of the opinion that somehow Jesus balances out that suffering and thus makes it go away (thus excusing God).
    I am trying to explore that concept and see if anyone can explain it to me, or whether it simply doesn't make sense.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 05:48
    Originally posted by galveston75

Have your own thoughts on the issue G75
    Christ in the end will right all of the wrongs I believe.

Manny
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 08:59
    Originally posted by menace71
    Christ in the end will right all of the wrongs I believe.
    Can you explain what you mean by that? Will my past suffering not have been experienced, or will I be compensated for it?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 09:011 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75

Does it answer my questions? If so, can you summarize the main points? I started reading it and the first few bits are not really relevant at all. I don't want to wade through pages and pages just to find out that you were just trying to trick me into reading your material.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 09:54
    I agree with you. (I think)
    We are all responsible for our own sufferings,even though this may not seem self-evident. This is the life we have been given,if we everyone took responsibility for their own karmas(sufferings) there would be no blame on anyone and we could make true progress in alleviating our sufferings.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 11:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    We are all responsible for our own sufferings,even though this may not seem self-evident.
    I am not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that when a 5 year old girl is murdered she is to blame? Or am I misunderstanding you?
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 18:58
    It is possible to right a wrong. It is not possible to right every wrong. Not every wrong can ever be righted.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 22:19
    No you can't completely right a wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree