1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    05 Sep '11 09:04
    I am sure that everyone here agrees that Music is an art that takes not only the listeners but also the performers to a loftier plane -much above our trouble torn and unhappiness filled life. It is an art form that intensely appeals to feelings that other forms may not. I believe that it has power to make an atheist turn into a believer. Yet recently proper knob stated that like him, there are many atheist musicians. Why? By Music I mean not only specifically religious poetry/music but any poetry/music.
  2. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51439
    05 Sep '11 09:141 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I am sure that everyone here agrees that Music is an art that takes not only the listeners but also the performers to a loftier plane -much above our trouble torn and unhappiness filled life. It is an art form that intensely appeals to feelings that other forms may not. I believe that it has power to make an atheist turn into a believer. Yet recently prop ...[text shortened]... sicians. Why? By Music I mean not only specifically religious poetry/music but any poetry/music.
    I believe that it has power to make an atheist turn into a believer.

    Elaborate on this point if you will.

    How could the vibration of air molecules, because that is what music is in it's strictest sense, convince me that a supernatural being exists (provided your interpretation of God is supernatural).

    (I'm off to practice, i'll be back in a few hours)
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    05 Sep '11 09:27
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]I believe that it has power to make an atheist turn into a believer.

    Elaborate on this point if you will.

    How could the vibration of air molecules, because that is what music is in it's strictest sense, convince me that a supernatural being exists (provided your interpretation of God is supernatural).

    (I'm off to practice, i'll be back in a few hours)[/b]
    Vibration of air molecules as sensed by human ears is sound. Music is much more than sound. There is rhythm,melody,the words of the poetry,the appeal of the music to our innermost feelings,the rich and ancient traditions of music all these things combine to move us. Music moves animals. Why it would not affect humans?
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    89724
    05 Sep '11 09:58
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Vibration of air molecules as sensed by human ears is sound. Music is much more than sound. There is rhythm,melody,the words of the poetry,the appeal of the music to our innermost feelings,the rich and ancient traditions of music all these things combine to move us. Music moves animals. Why it would not affect humans?
    Why do you think that music have to have religious connotations? music was around long before any organised religion.
    i agree that music can have profound affects on people - studies have shown this clearly - yet l do not follow the religious slant.
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Sep '11 10:061 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Vibration of air molecules as sensed by human ears is sound. Music is much more than sound. There is rhythm,melody,the words of the poetry,the appeal of the music to our innermost feelings,the rich and ancient traditions of music all these things combine to move us. Music moves animals. Why it would not affect humans?
    You are suggesting that proper knob thinks music does "not affect humans"?
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    05 Sep '11 10:17
    Originally posted by nook7
    Why do you think that music have to have religious connotations? music was around long before any organised religion.
    i agree that music can have profound affects on people - studies have shown this clearly - yet l do not follow the religious slant.
    My point is Music has a role in theism. It must have had some role in organised religion. But I have not posted about that. Theism and Music,that is the point of discussion.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Sep '11 10:26
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    My point is Music has a role in theism. It must have had some role in organised religion. But I have not posted about that. Theism and Music,that is the point of discussion.
    Surely music has a "role" in all human life. Was 'Why are there many atheist musicians?' a serious question on your part?
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    05 Sep '11 10:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are suggesting that proper knob thinks music does "not affect humans"?
    I and proper knob both know that Music affects humans. Deeply. Great Music should be enough to convince a person about existence of God,that is my view.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Sep '11 10:34
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Great Music should be enough to convince a person about existence of God,that is my view.
    Anything can convince a person about existence of God. Why do you pick out music and why do you exhibit confusion about atheists being musicians?
  10. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51439
    05 Sep '11 10:45
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I and proper knob both know that Music affects humans. Deeply. Great Music should be enough to convince a person about existence of God,that is my view.
    Great Music should be enough to convince a person about existence of God,that is my view.

    I understand that, but can you elaborate. Why is the above statement your view?

    What exactly do you define as 'Great Music'? What exactly makes it 'great'?
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    05 Sep '11 10:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Anything can convince a person about existence of God. Why do you pick out music and why do you exhibit confusion about atheists being musicians?
    I was surprised that like proper knob,many musicians were atheists,when proper knob told me so,in one recent exchange. My belief says that Music being a sublime art should be able to overcome well entrenched positions in atheists' minds regarding existence of God.
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Sep '11 10:56
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I was surprised that like proper knob,many musicians were atheists...
    "Surprised"? Are you being serious?
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    05 Sep '11 11:011 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    My belief says that Music being a sublime art should be able to overcome well entrenched positions in atheists' minds regarding existence of God.
    Surely music demonstrates the sublime capacity of humanity? Is your own religionist mind map and stance so entrenched that you cannot process the wonder of music without seeing it in terms of the existence of God?
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    05 Sep '11 11:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Surprised"? Are you being serious?
    yes, he equates music with spirituality and by extension religion, why wouldn't he be surprised? As for being entrenched, he is Indian, religion and life are intertwined.
  15. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51439
    05 Sep '11 11:05
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I was surprised that like proper knob,many musicians were atheists,when proper knob told me so,in one recent exchange. My belief says that Music being a sublime art should be able to overcome well entrenched positions in atheists' minds regarding existence of God.
    My belief says that Music being a sublime art should be able to overcome well entrenched positions in atheists' minds regarding existence of God.

    How and why exactly?
Back to Top