1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 11:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why would it not convince us of the existence of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy? Which part of music says 'God exists' in your opinion?
    If there's anything the testimony of believers here may have taught you guys it's that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy are not God, and vice versa.

"Fairy tales" and the concept of "an old man in the sky" are specious arguments and not at all what God is about. Come on, boldly step into the 21st century with the rest of us. 🙂
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 11:56
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I am surprised that a musician wants me to describe ' Great Music '. Any Music that brings a tear to your eye or a lump in your throat or is evocative enough to transport you mentally to another place or another time is certainly great. It should make the World look and feel great. It is a small step then to acknowledge and thank God to have made me a human with healthy ears,is it not?
    Music that moves you personally, might not move me. We all have musical preferences.

So what do YOU classify as great music.

At this particular moment i have Nirvana on the stereo. I think that's 'great music', i'm pretty sure you wouldn't agree with me.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 11:58
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Instead of thanking 'god', why don't you thank the musicians who composed and played that music?
    All civilised people,including theists like me do that. Theists go a step further and thank God too.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 11:591 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    And he is surprised that people who are not religious can produce sublime music? Strikes me as odd to discuss "spirituality" with someone whose understanding of the human condition is so strangely truncated.
    I dont think he was saying that at all, of course atheists can produce good music, i think his point is that the spiritual experience should help the convinced atheist to transcend the mundane and think more in terms of the divine, at least that's how it appears to me.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:00
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Music that moves you personally, might not move me. We all have musical preferences.

So what do [b]YOU
    classify as great music.

At this particular moment i have Nirvana on the stereo. I think that's 'great music', i'm pretty sure you wouldn't agree with me.[/b]
    I would 🙂
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I dont think he was saying that at all, of course atheists can produce good music, i think his point is that the spiritual experience should help the convinced atheist to transcend the mundane and think more in terms of the divine, at least that's how it appears to me.
    You are absolutely right! FMF has however either misunderstood me or just wants to needle me. Many thanks for support!
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

So what do [b]YOU
    classify as great music.

At this particular moment i have Nirvana on the stereo. I think that's 'great music', i'm pretty sure you wouldn't agree with me.[/b]
    Please give me details of this CD and I will see if it is available here in India. What makes you so sure that I will not agree with you?
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If there's anything the testimony of believers here may have taught you guys it's that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy are not God, and vice versa.

"Fairy tales" and the concept of "an old man in the sky" are specious arguments and not at all what God is about. Come on, boldly step into the 21st century with the rest of us. 🙂
    These are missiles which are brought out of the silos,when there is a lack of reasoned arguments. Thanks for the support!
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:23
    These are missiles which are brought out of the silos,when there is a lack of reasoned arguments. Thanks for the support!
    There's been plenty of reasoned arguments in this thread, i've asked numerous questions which you have ignored.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:26
    Please give me details of this CD and I will see if it is available here in India. What makes you so sure that I will not agree with you?
    Have a butchers rvsakhadeo -

YouTube

and

YouTube
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I am perfectly well aware that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy are not God, and vice versa. I have not stated otherwise. I am also not making a specious argument. I am not making an argument at all. I am trying to clarify what he believes, and why he believes appreciation of music should lead to belief in God.
    I want to know why he thinks I, as an atheist, should attribute music to a particular entity that I don't believe in rather than another entity I don't believe in.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 12:40
    They are not missiles and they are in no way intended to harm you or even argue against you. They are not arguments at all. I am trying to clarify your position. You always seem to go on the defensive even when I am asking you genuine honest questions about your beliefs.

You have stated that you believe appreciation of music should lead to belief in God. A number of people have asked for further clarification as to why you think that follows, and we have asked it in a variety of ways, but you seem rather reluctant to answer and instead accuse us of lacking reasoned arguments.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 13:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am perfectly well aware that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy are not God, and vice versa. I have not stated otherwise. I am also not making a specious argument. I am not making an argument at all. I am trying to clarify what he believes, and why he believes appreciation of music should lead to belief in God.
    I want to know why he thinks I, as an atheist ...[text shortened]... to a particular entity that I don't believe in rather than another entity I don't believe in.
    If I may give my opinion (since I'm not him and do not know his mind), it's probably that faith in God and the emotions brought forth by certain music (which type varies from person to person) are both higher-order functions of the human brain and provoke similar reactions in humans. But I'm just guessing.

But I don't know about the opinion that one necessarily must come from the other.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 14:37
    You are absolutely right! FMF has however either misunderstood me or just wants to needle me. Many thanks for support!
    Wow. You don't process disagreement very well do you?

I find your feigned "surprise" very interesting and I assume it's a kind of transparent spin you're attempting. The fact that atheists and non-religionists can make and consume sublime music without the need for a religionist creed or belief in God, if anything, undermines your suggestion that the said sublime music proves the existence of God.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 14:38
    Goodness me. You simply do not process disagreement very well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree