Halfway
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 11:53
    I will judge the posts based on four points:

1. Content
    2. Evidence
    3. Discussion
    4. Form

1) The first point relates to how the discussant addressed the main topic and how well-reasoned his arguments are. I will be looking at the logical links between statements, their pertinence and consistency. 20 points

2) Here I will look at how well the argument is supported by evidence, the relevance of the sources and, again, the consistency. I value the last point considerably. To be more explicit, quoting the Bible as support for one's arguments, while denying its value as support for the opposing argument requires a strong and explicit justification. 10 points

3) In this part I will look at the ability to understand and critically address the points raise by the opponent. Glossing over major points or misrepresenting the other's position will be penalized. 10 points

4) Here I will judge the formal structure of each post and the ability to be persuasive and clear. 10 points

Total: 50 points

(I'm taking this too seriously, aren't I? 😵 )
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 13:02
    I will judge the quality of each text according with the 8 philosophical principles I mentioned at the third page of this thread.
    And I will rate it following the above mentioned Palynka's standards;
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 21:01
    Good luck to both participants.

In my evaluation I will not be using a structured point system, but the above post from Palynka does a good job outlining general considerations that will inform my evaluation. I will be looking for the better overall impression in terms of well-reasoned and well-presented argument; I'll be looking at the overall structure and presentation in terms of identifiable premises that collectively support the main thesis; and I will be looking to see how well those premises are supported by plausible reasons and evidential considerations; I'll also be considering the consistency and relevancy of sources as well as the consistency and clarity of terminology. I'll also be looking to see how well each participant exchanges and deals with his opponent in terms of the objections and concerns that are raised.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 19:041 edit
    Well, its up. Read it and weep, people. Especially you judges, since you're contractually obligated to read the whole thing. Remember, Jaywill, you've got five days from now to complete your first response. Use the time wisely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree