1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 11:191 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33
    That's not true. His influences extent further than the Catholic church solely be the virtue of how strong his influence is inside the Catholic community.
    I agree that the Catholic Church influence extends further than its own boundaries in the political arena especially but I contend that the pope's personal influence massively extends to the general populace outside of the church for the reasons I've already given. What evidence to you have to the contrary?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 11:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I agree that the Catholic Church influence extends further than its own boundaries in the political arena especially but I contend that the pope's personal influence massively extends to the general populace outside of the church for the reasons I've already given. What evidence to you have to the contrary?
    People across the world are connected to people who are influenced by the pope, therefore indirectly they are also influenced.

Of course I am more talking about the Catholic church in general because I doubt the pope has much power within the church. A bit like the queen, there to smile say a few words and not do anything stupid.

But you could argue that the pope is the spokesperson of the Catholic church and you said yourself that the Catholic Church influence extends further than its own boundaries. The pope is often where is begins.

BTW church goers in S. America has gone up since the new pope was crowned.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 12:48
    I think we've identified the obvious; that within the church there are those who hang on his every word, but I disagree that his effective horizon goes further than that in terms of the general public of planet earth.

80+% of the population of earth is not catholic, a huge proportion of those are Protestant, Hindus, Muslims or other religions. Not to ...[text shortened]... your claim that the pope's word have a huge influence on people outside of the Catholic Church.
    I think that's just sour grapes on your part because you don't like the Pope. But it's still early. If Francis is Pope for 30 years, and if he continues his fight for the poor and downtrodden, then he could end up having a substantial impact on the non-Catholic world. For future possible scenarios, I don't think it's implausible to think that the Pope may have a role in transitioning the world away from a morally bankrupt capitalist economy toward a more cooperative one. But that may just be wishful thinking on my part. We shall see.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 14:301 edit
    Oh well, if he's Time's magazine nomination, it must be true that he has a vast influence on people outside of the Catholic Church. I don't think so. The Catholic Church has an extended membership of about 18% of the worlds population which is deeply segmented and weighted towards certain continents such as South America for example. Within that group th ...[text shortened]... public level outside of the church his words, deeds and postulations carry any sway whatsoever.
    You don't "see any evidence" of it? Do you live in a cave?

Yeah, I know, Mr. I-hate-everything-connected-to-organized-religion, but all I know is that more people are talking about this pope than any other pope in memory.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 14:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You don't "see any evidence" of it? Do you live in a cave?

Yeah, I know, Mr. I-hate-everything-connected-to-organized-religion, but all I know is that more people are talking about this pope than any other pope in memory.
    More people are "talking" about everything in the world than they were in memory (whatever that is) because we have much better communication and access to information. See, we are proving the point right now by talking about Mr pope in this thread! doesn't mean his words have any effect on me whatsoever.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 14:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think that's just sour grapes on your part because you don't like the Pope. But it's still early. If Francis is Pope for 30 years, and if he continues his fight for the poor and downtrodden, then he could end up having a substantial impact on the non-Catholic world. For future possible scenarios, I don't think it's implausible to think that the Pope may h ...[text shortened]... y toward a more cooperative one. But that may just be wishful thinking on my part. We shall see.
    A lot of "if"s; I bow to your new-found optimistic view of corporate religion.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 14:50
    And I don't think that says what you meant it to say...
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 14:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm not sure if you have all been following, but Rush Limbaugh critiqued some of the Popes comments as being Marxist.

Amazingly, the Pope just came out and said that he was not Marxist, an obvious retort to Rush Limbaugh.

Why would the Pope respond? After all, the Pope said that he knew Marxist and that they were "nice" people. Why then does he feel t ...[text shortened]... t leanings rule the globe. Is the Catholic church now forced to pander to this way of thinking?
    Maybe because he knows Rush Limberger is a prime world class assshole.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:00
    You know, I'm not a fan of the RC Church either. I mean they need to stop holding their own people back and let them decide how big their families get and not deny them contraception just so they can guarantee more church members into the foreseeable future.

Even so, I am excited about this new pope and I am surprised you're not at least "cautiously-optimistic" about him also. He's changing the way people around the world have viewed the papacy, and I'm with rwingett. I hope this pope can turn some of the things wrong with this world around. If people like you can change their mind about just this one pope, then much is possible. Being a Franciscan, I am hoping he can change the direction and focus of the RC Church towards more good for the people of the world. I'm sure you would also say that would be a good thing, and perhaps keep your eye on him to see if he does, in fact, change your mind about what good a pope who is not simply a tool of the Church can do.
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm not sure if you have all been following, but Rush Limbaugh critiqued some of the Popes comments as being Marxist.

Amazingly, the Pope just came out and said that he was not Marxist, an obvious retort to Rush Limbaugh.

Why would the Pope respond? After all, the Pope said that he knew Marxist and that they were "nice" people. Why then does he feel t ...[text shortened]... t leanings rule the globe. Is the Catholic church now forced to pander to this way of thinking?
    I am conservitave, that being said. I don't bother with Rush Limbaugh. Why you might ask, sometimes it is hard to know who he really stands for. I don't like his smart axx remarks. Sarah P. for instance. Has been talking at engagements since she ran for vice president. What i've heard from her makes a lot of sence. Rush puts her down. When the Tea Party first came into existance, Rush put it down. When it gained popularity, Rush was all for it. Now Rush puts it down again.
    The first year Clinton ran for office. He was a nobody. Rush Limbaugh unceasingly talked about him. That same year Allen Keys, a republican was running for the presidency. He came in third in Iowa. Rush talked about everyone but him. I think Allen Keys would have been one hell of a president.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Maybe because he knows Rush Limberger is a prime world class assshole.
    Most high-profile conservatives come across this way because their whole political leaning is "yay us, screw them". They hate everyone who is not in their social circle, their social class. It's hard not to sound like a total jerkwad, when in fact you are a total jerkwad.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:08
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think that's just sour grapes on your part because you don't like the Pope. But it's still early. If Francis is Pope for 30 years, and if he continues his fight for the poor and downtrodden, then he could end up having a substantial impact on the non-Catholic world. For future possible scenarios, I don't think it's implausible to think that the Pope may h ...[text shortened]... y toward a more cooperative one. But that may just be wishful thinking on my part. We shall see.
    We can only hope. But it is a beautiful wish.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:13
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    I am conservitave, that being said. I don't bother with Rush Limbaugh. Why you might ask, sometimes it is hard to know who he really stands for. I don't like his smart axx remarks. Sarah P. for instance. Has been talking at engagements since she ran for vice president. What i've heard from her makes a lot of sence. Rush puts her down. When the Tea Party fir ...[text shortened]... Rush talked about everyone but him. I think Allen Keys would have been one hell of a president.
    Allen Keys? Could you check the spelling of this man's name?

Whoever he was, he wouldn't have stood a chance in the Republican primary in 1992 over George H. W. Bush, the incumbent president, who was the Republican front-runner in 1992.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:13
    A lot of "if"s; I bow to your new-found optimistic view of corporate religion.
    Even Bill Maher has good things to say about the Pope these days.
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 15:23
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Allen Keys? Could you check the spelling of this man's name?

Whoever he was, he wouldn't have stood a chance in the Republican primary in 1992 over George H. W. Bush, the incumbent president, who was the Republican front-runner in 1992.
    He had a good chance. Might have been spelled Alen Keys. Do you even know him?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree