1. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '17 16:332 edits
    The Russian Justice Ministry is moving to label Jehovah's Witnesses as terrorists and ban their worship, sparking a global letter- writing campaign appealing to Kremlin and Supreme Court officials for relief.

    Some 8,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Trinidad and Tobago are being encouraged to write letters to Russia.

    The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is inviting the over eight million Witnesses worldwide to participate.

    According to a statement from the Jehovah's Witnesses New York, USA, office, on March 15, 2017, Russia's Ministry of Justice filed a claim with the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation to label the Administrative Centre of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia as extremist and liquidate it.

    The claim also seeks to ban the activities of the Administrative Centre.

    The statement added that if the Supreme Court upholds this claim, the Witnesses' national headquarters near St Petersburg, Russia, will be shut down.

    Some 400 registered Local Religious Organisations would be liquidated, outlawing the services of over 2,300 congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia.

    The release stated that the branch property, as well as places of worship used by Witnesses throughout the country, could be seized by the State.

    Additionally, individual Jehovah's Witnesses would become subject to criminal prosecution for merely carrying out their worship activities. The Supreme Court is expected to rule on the claim on April 5.

    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170327/news/russia-witnesses-a-terrorist-group
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    29 Mar '17 20:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ...Some 8,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Trinidad and Tobago are being encouraged to write letters to Russia. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is inviting the over eight million Witnesses worldwide to participate...
    The Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia need there to be a more robust political response to this unacceptable attack on the rights of its members than a letter writing campaign. What else is planned? What do you suggest?
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    29 Mar '17 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Russian Justice Ministry is moving to label Jehovah's Witnesses as terrorists
    The word 'terrorist' must translate into something completely different in Russian. But then given the gross misuse of the word by native English speakers ....
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    29 Mar '17 20:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The word 'terrorist' must translate into something completely different in Russian. But then given the gross misuse of the word by native English speakers ....
    The only claim of terrorism I've seen is from the T and Tobago cite in this thread. Other cites I found have only a claim of extremism.

    The Russian state seems to be insecure about its hold on the hearts and minds of its people. They are much friendlier to the Orthodox Church.
  5. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '17 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia need there to be a more robust political response to this unacceptable attack on the rights of its members than a letter writing campaign. What else is planned? What do you suggest?
    The irony of the matter is that Russia signed up to the European court of human rights but made a law in 2015 I think that can effectively overrule any decisions of the court. We are non political in the sense that we have no part in the political process. If the Russian Supreme court rules against us we will simply take the hit and go underground like we did when we were previously banned. I find the idea of writing eight million letters to the Russian government pretty awe inspiring myself.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '17 21:03
    Originally posted by JS357
    The only claim of terrorism I've seen is from the T and Tobago cite in this thread. Other cites I found have only a claim of extremism.

    The Russian state seems to be insecure about its hold on the hearts and minds of its people. They are much friendlier to the Orthodox Church.
    Yup right on the money, the Russian Orthodox church has some very rich and powerful friends.
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '17 21:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The word 'terrorist' must translate into something completely different in Russian. But then given the gross misuse of the word by native English speakers ....
    yes perhaps they are associating it with extremism and somehow made a connection.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    29 Mar '17 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Some 8,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Trinidad and Tobago are being encouraged to write letters to Russia.
    Have you considered praying about it?
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    29 Mar '17 21:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes perhaps they are associating it with extremism and somehow made a connection.
    Does the word "terrorist" actually originate in an announcement about the JWs by the Russian government or is it a word that the JWs in Trinidad and Tobago have decided to introduce into their own characterization of the announcement by Russia?
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '17 21:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does the word "terrorist" actually originate in an announcement about the JWs by the Russian government or is it a word that the JWs in Trinidad and Tobago have decided to introduce into their own characterization of the announcement by Russia?
    Its the word that the newspaper cited used. This publication has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. We are being tried for extremism.
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    29 Mar '17 21:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its the word that the newspaper cited used. This publication has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. We are being tried for extremism.
    Why did you use the words "terrorist group" in your thread title?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    29 Mar '17 21:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its the word that the newspaper cited used. This publication has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. We are being tried for extremism.
    I can't find anything anywhere else online using "terrorist group" or "terrorist" anything.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '17 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why did you use the words "terrorist group" in your thread title?
    Its the title of the article, did you not read it or go to the link? Do you normally ask questions about articles that you have not read? May I suggest you read the article and then you may be in a better position to comment instead of asking rather obvious questions.

    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170327/news/russia-witnesses-a-terrorist-group
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    29 Mar '17 21:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yup right on the money, the Russian Orthodox church has some very rich and powerful friends.
    Russia is corrupt; I'm sure you realise this.
    The treatment of the local JWs seems very harsh and unfair; I wonder what brought it on.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    29 Mar '17 21:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its the title of the article, did you not read it or go to the link?
    Unless you want the topic here to be the journalistic standards at the Trinidad Express, it seems a bit odd that you would use the words "terrorist group" in your thread title kicking off a discussion ostensibly about the freedom of worship in Russia. Do you think the claim "The Russian Justice Ministry is moving to label Jehovah's Witnesses as terrorists" is factually true or untrue?
Back to Top