1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 23:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    We are non political in the sense that we have no part in the political process. If the Russian Supreme court rules against us we will simply take the hit and go underground like we did when we were previously banned.
    Wouldn't freedom to worship and proselytize openly and undisturbed - asserted, secured, and defended in a more proactive and robust fashion as part of wider struggle for human rights alongside other groups which are discriminated against - enable the Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia to spread their messages and teachings to more people than 'going underground' would?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 00:13
    Its the word that the newspaper cited used. This publication has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. We are being tried for extremism.
    The JWs might be a lot of things but surely do not seem "extreme" in most ways.

Do they think there is something going on that you (JWs) have not told them ?
    what are you guys hiding? 🙂
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 02:092 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

Do they think there is something going on that you (JWs) have not told them ? what are you guys hiding?
    I consider the Jehovah's Witness teachings to be extreme, yes. Are they extreme compared to ISIS? No of course not. It's all relative.

But they are "extreme" when one considers a handful of their beliefs in light of general mainstream Christian teaching and the outputs/effect of those teachings, and some of their behaviours; for examples of extreme in that context:

- the sole holders of god's revealed truth on earth
    - church membership is required for spiritual salvation
    - shunning and its effects of individual's and families
    - not permitting blood transfusions > in extreme circumstances, effectively child sacrifice
    - not being permitted to vote in political elections
    - not being permitted to join the armed forces
    - not permitting children their birthdays or Christmas
    - their stance when defending abuse allegations
    - polytheism
    - metrication and management of proselyting by members
    - etc

Now, let me be clear before I'm accused of defending Putin...I don't support the alleged way this group are being treated in Russia. However if they have become vocal and considered militant about their anti-war stance, blood, door preaching or a combo of these other "extreme" beliefs, in a country such as Russia which has a strong Orthodox leaning and Putin at the helm...then they are likely to experience some blow-back.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 08:302 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

Do they think there is something going on that you (JWs) have not told them ?
    what are you guys hiding? 🙂
    Hiding what for example? Bible tracts with pandas on the front?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 15:14
    Hiding what for example? Bible tracts with pandas on the front?
    It's really obvious, imo. When a religion (or any social institution) is seen by the state as a competitor for the hearts and minds of the state's subjects, the state will act as needed to reduce the influence of the religion.

It does not matter that the religion denies the charge (extremism, in this case) and claims to be apolitical.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 18:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    It's really obvious, imo. When a religion (or any social institution) is seen by the state as a competitor for the hearts and minds of the state's subjects, the state will act as needed to reduce the influence of the religion.

It does not matter that the religion denies the charge (extremism, in this case) and claims to be apolitical.
    I have no doubt that the Russian Orthodox Church and their rich and powerful patrons are behind this latest attempt to have the brothers banned and their assets liquidated and their activities made illegal.. We have had this argument before about what constitutes a political action and its not really that relevant here. We are facing a kind of existential threat. No legal status and no rights to practice our religion.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 19:06
    We have had this argument before about what constitutes a political action and its not really that relevant here. We are facing a kind of existential threat. No legal status and no rights to practice our religion.
    So what kind of debate or discussion on this poltical topic (i.e. the lack of legal rights or status) do you think would be relevant here?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:00
    I have no doubt that the Russian Orthodox Church and their rich and powerful patrons are behind this latest attempt to have the brothers banned and their assets liquidated and their activities made illegal.. We have had this argument before about what constitutes a political action and its not really that relevant here. We are facing a kind of existential threat. No legal status and no rights to practice our religion.
    That comes with the mission, doesn't it?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what kind of debate or discussion on this poltical topic (i.e. the lack of legal rights or status) do you think [b]would be relevant here?[/b]
    I am sorry I am not in the mood for an interrogation.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:042 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    That comes with the mission, doesn't it?
    Yes we have fought and won around eighteen cases in The Supreme Court of the United States of America, many of which has set legal precedents. Paul whenever he could sought to 'legally establish the good news'.

It is only right for me to think this regarding all of you, since I have you in my heart, you who are sharers with me in the undeserved kindness both in my prison bonds and in the defending and legally establishing of the good news. - Philippians 1:7 - NWT
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:07
    I am sorry I am not in the mood for an interrogation.
    You mean you're not in the mood to discuss anything you feel will make you look as though you've been dishonest in your thread title?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:103 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You mean you're not in the mood to discuss anything you feel will make you look as though you've been dishonest in your thread title?
    I am also not in the mood for loaded questions either, especially ones containing vile insinuations and the usual slime. I am going to put you on ignore, please don't take it personally, I simply have no time for people that turn every thread into a slime fest.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:213 edits
    I am going to put you on ignore...
    I thought I was already on ignore, so what is this..."double-secret ignore"?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:24
    I am also not in the mood for loaded questions either, especially ones containing vile insinuations and the usual slime. I am going to put you on ignore, please don't take it personally, I simply have no time for people that turn every thread into a slime fest.
    what about my prayer idea on page one?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 20:36
    We are facing a kind of existential threat. No legal status and no rights to practice our religion.
    Do you support the struggles of other groups in Russia that face the diminishing or abrogation of their legal status and rights that elsewhere are recognized by the European Court of Human Rights?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree