1. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 00:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Have you asked yourself why it just happens to almost coincide with the northern hemisphere winter solstice? Have you at least looked it up on Wikipedia? or are you just spouting Christian propaganda?

You might want to look up Saturnalia too while you are digging into santa anagrams.
    Well, to start with, I'm not a Christian, so i have no reason to 'spout Christian propaganda'. And yes, I am familiar with the historical pagan festivals (including Saturnalia) held around the same time, and the idea that the church designated the date it did so as to ease the conversion of the pagans. That all seems reasonable. But my point is that Christmas is not those pagan festivals, and doesn't celebrate the same thing, and this remains true even if there were superficial similarities in the means of celebration. Christmas was a new celebration invented by the church and the idea behind it was to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Conceptually, that's what Christmas was about. The date chosen and the means of celebration do not change this conceptual fact.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree