1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 11:31
    I've been reading up on Savonarola (as a starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girolamo_Savonarola) & wondering whether I'd have supported him or not. On the balance, and to my surprise, I think I'd have hated his guts & cheered when he got his. How about you?
  2. London
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 11:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I've been reading up on Savonarola (as a starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girolamo_Savonarola) & wondering whether I'd have supported him or not. On the balance, and to my surprise, I think I'd have hated his guts & cheered when he got his. How about you?
    Exactly why were you surprised you hated his guts?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 11:40
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Exactly why were you surprised you hated his guts?
    Well, he was supposed to have been a moral reformer, and is often considered a fore-runner of the Reformation, along with Luther. Plus the Pope he was up against. Alexander Borgia, was an out-and-out scumbag. However...
  4. London
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 11:56
    Well, he was supposed to have been a moral reformer, and is often considered a fore-runner of the Reformation, along with Luther. Plus the Pope he was up against. Alexander Borgia, was an out-and-out scumbag. However...
    An honest question - do you think you are more likely to give the benefit of the doubt to people who have opposed the Church than those who have been loyal to it?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 12:091 edit
    An honest question - do you think you are more likely to give the benefit of the doubt to people who have opposed the Church than those who have been loyal to it?
    Frankly, I've given up on giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

Anyhow, do you think the public turned against Savonarola because they wanted to be as licentious as the Pope?
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 12:52
    & the Bonfire of the Vanities
    Best Tom Wolfe novel ever. :^P
  7. Calgary
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 12:58
    I like my Vanities, but doesn't this just illustrate how easily lead people can be? How powerful mob mentality is? Most of us would have gone along, and still cehered when he went up in smoke.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 13:07
    Originally posted by Canadaguy
    I like my Vanities, but doesn't this just illustrate how easily lead people can be? How powerful mob mentality is? Most of us would have gone along, and still cehered when he went up in smoke.
    Most of us would have cheered for him when he was in favour & cheered when he burned. Quite Shakespearian.

Social reform seems to work better when religion is removed from the equation entirely.
  9. Calgary
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 13:081 edit
    Most of us would have cheered for him when he was in favour & cheered when he burned. Quite Shakespearian.

Social reform seems to work better when religion is removed from the equation entirely.
    agreed

My monkey thread was ignored in this forum. That makes me sad.
  10. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 13:123 edits
    I dont like religious conservatives. But I would have probably been one if I lived in his time.
  11. London
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 13:14

Anyhow, do you think the public turned against Savonarola because they wanted to be as licentious as the Pope?

That's quite a pessimistic view of the human race. I hope your faith in mankind is restored some day.

Was that question serious or sarcastic? I'll assume the former.

I really don't know much about the Savonarola case. If I had to make a guess, I would think that he crossed a line in popular perception - instead of being seen as a critic of excesses in the Church and Culture he was seen as a critic of the Church and Culture themselves.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 13:14
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    I dont like religous conservatives. But I would probably be one if I live in his time.
    Which was the more conservative in this case--Savonarola or the licentious Pope?
  13. London
    Moves
    04 Oct '05 13:16

Does it? Did the French Revolution improve the situation of the masses? What about the Russian Revolution?
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves

I really don't know much about the Savonarola case. If I had to make a guess, I would think that he crossed a line in popular perception - instead of being seen as a critic of excesses in the Church and Culture he was seen as a critic of the Church and Culture themselves.
    That seems accurate. Read up on it in the Catholic Encyclopedia. His chief fault apparently was "disobedience".
  15. London
    Moves
    Which was the more conservative in this case--Savonarola or the licentious Pope?
    Can I ask you another question - do you see a difference between the Office of the Papacy and the person holding that office?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree