1. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 23:27
    karoly aczel,

So you know via experience. Now we all do that. If I know there is an apple in my fruit bowl, I didn't deduce that it was there, I just know by looking, smelling, feeling, tasting and so on.

But then the question might be asked of me, is is sensible for me to say that this is knowledge? Do I really know that there is an apple in my fruit bowl? Can I justify this claim to knowledge?

I would answer that I have good reasons to believe that the apple is there, and cutting a long story short, I think it is rational for me to hold that belief.

But in your case, even though what you say might be an accurate portrayal of an alternate reality, I don't see how it is rational for you to suppose that it is.

In other words, you might know it, but I don't see how you can know that you know it.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 23:58
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    karoly aczel,

So you know via experience. Now we all do that. If I know there is an apple in my fruit bowl, I didn't deduce that it was there, I just know by looking, smelling, feeling, tasting and so on.

But then the question might be asked of me, is is sensible for me to say that this is knowledge? Do I really know that there is an apple in my fru ...[text shortened]... is.

In other words, you might know it, but I don't see how you can know that you know it.
    How can I not know it?
    (and yes, it is probably not a traditionally rational claim but heck- these aren't such rational times now are they?)
  3. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    How can I not know it?
    (and yes, it is probably not a traditionally rational claim but heck- these aren't such rational times now are they?)

It is easy not to know that you know something. Some would say it is necessary, unless you know something a priori. But more importantly, when you reflect on your experience, do you think your interpretation that an alternate reality has been revealed to you, is reasonable?

As for not being in rational times, wasn't it ever thus?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 12:071 edit
    [b]How can I not know it?

It is easy not to know that you know something. Some would say it is necessary, unless you know something a priori. But more importantly, when you reflect on your ...[text shortened]... en revealed to you, is reasonable?

As for not being in rational times, wasn't it ever thus?[/b]
    1. Yeah I think its reasonable
    2.I 'beleive' these times that we live in are very extraordinary. The whole fabric of time is shifting with greater speed than ever.
    There are more humans on the planet than have ever lived in the whole of our history(b4 1900)
    We,as a race are about to extinguish ourselves(which seems very irrational)
    We are on the frontiers of space travel
    Quantum science
    Fibre optics
    ufos
    the internet
    age old secrets startng to be revealed
  5. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 12:191 edit
    1. Yeah I think its reasonable
    But you have already admitted that it isn't a rational claim. Why is it reasonable to abandon reason? Isn't there a contradiction there?

2.I 'beleive' these times that we live in are very extraordinary.
    I agree that there are some extraordinary elements.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 12:33
    [b]1. Yeah I think its reasonable

But you have already admitted that it isn't a rational claim. Why is it reasonable to abandon reason? Isn't there a contradiction there?

2.I 'beleive' these times that we live in are very extraordinary.
    I agree that there are some extraordinary elements.[/b]
    I told you I didn't want to debate it.
    I'm just starting from a premise,(say the trancendental nature od God), and going from there.
    Life is paradoxical and I try to present my arguements in the most rational way I can , bearing in mind the limited nature of language as it describes reality.
  7. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 12:52
    I told you I didn't want to debate it.
    Whoops.

I'm just starting from a premise,(say the trancendental nature od God), and going from there.
    Well, that's game over anyway then :-)
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 12:56
    [b]I told you I didn't want to debate it.

Whoops.

Well, that's game over anyway then :-)[/b]
    thank you for your understanding on this issue🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree