1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 09:16
    Originally posted by Darth Sponge
    yeah dj2becker, this story sucks. are you trying to pass a ficticious story about a fictional debate with fictional characters which is clearly designed to make the atheist (gasp!) professor look stupid and the Christian strudent look smart-- are you seriously trying to pass this off as a legitimate argument how Christian "logic" defeats Science!? No ...[text shortened]... mation and propaganda and the heroic atheists laughed at him- hahaha... that would be funny.
    Already exists. Called the spirituality forums.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 09:28
    Originally posted by Darth Sponge
    yeah dj2becker, this story sucks. are you trying to pass a ficticious story about a fictional debate with fictional characters which is clearly designed to make the atheist (gasp!) professor look stupid and the Christian strudent look smart-- are you seriously trying to pass this off as a legitimate argument how Christian "logic" defeats Science!? No ...[text shortened]... mation and propaganda and the heroic atheists laughed at him- hahaha... that would be funny.
    why is evil the absence of good?

It is not. In addition to being Christian, the good student was also mightily confused.

dj2, thanks for the enthralling cut and paste jobbie. I feel born again!!!

Whoopsy daisy: I meant bored again.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 09:37
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]why is evil the absence of good?

It is not. In addition to being Christian, the good student was also mightily confused.

dj2, thanks for the enthralling cut and paste jobbie. I feel born again!!!

Whoopsy daisy: I meant bored again.[/b]
    I'm sorry you don't get the punchline...

I should have given the title: "Christians Only"...
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 09:52
    Originally posted by dj2becker

I'm sorry too.

Regarding what you should have done, you can always ask yourself WWJD in your situation?

http://www.microfiction.org/wwjd/

Sometime soon, I would like to open a thread to discuss the Kennedy book you recommended. I haven't the time at the moment to post anything resembling meaningful discourse, as you can probably tell. But sometime in the near future...
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 10:09
    Did the professor get sacked for being rubbish?
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 10:19
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I'm sorry too.

Regarding what you should have done, you can always ask yourself WWJD in your situation?

Sometime soon, I would like to open a thread to discuss the Kennedy book you recommended. I haven't the time at the moment to post anything resembling meaningful discourse, as you can probably tell. But sometime in the near future...

I guess you are amused by a bunch of childish non-sequiturs. Wasn't very funny IMO.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 11:52
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I guess you are amused by a bunch of childish non-sequiturs. Wasn't very funny IMO.
    What makes the village idiot laugh?
  8. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 12:43

I am a Christian, but this story still does not hold water with me...
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 14:51
    [It is interesting to note that the Latin equivalent for the Greek word is "ignoramus."
    In point of fact, the ignoramus is a distant relative of the hippopotamus that was long believed to be extinct. However, a few specimens have been found recently in a surprising location: haunting internet chat forums.
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 16:151 edit

I liked this one—

“Jesus would clothe the Himalayas with his mind and a potted plant!”

Anybody remember the 60s non-sequitur humor? E.g., “Is it shorter to California or by train?” “Did you walk to school or carry your lunch?” “Why is a duck?” Of course, as questions, they worked on the double-take.

Then there was the 80s “I can am” Abbot & Costello routine (or was that really an Abbot & Costello routine?).

I confess, I don’t get the wwjd ones on the site, but scrolling through them made me laugh at some of the silly juxtapositions.

WWBD?*

Nothing.

Clothe the Himalayas with Om and a potted plant.

Nothing.

Teach: “Remember, O sadhu, ‘Om is a many-padmied hum.’”

Save millions of unsuspecting people who receive his blessings as they enter Chinese restaurants.

Turn emptiness into form, using only Om and a pair of chopsticks.

Turn form into emptiness, using only Mo and a chair of stockpips.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Really, nothing.......

Okay, he’d turn a hundred hot potatoes into the bodhi tree using only the Himalayas and a spotted ant.

* What Would the Buddha Do?
  11. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 16:47
    [b]So here we have a Post claiming to be a debate between Science and Christianity.

Wrong.[/b]
    How is it wrong? The title of the thread is 'Science vs Christianity'
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 17:38
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    How is it wrong? The title of the thread is 'Science vs Christianity'
    It is wrong because it is the illusion of debate. In a debate, the players marshall evidence to support assertions. Here, instead, we find cheap insults, and dogma presented as an alternative to empiricism. Where in the debate? It seems, rather, that this is a quarrel, and a rather pathetic one at that.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 18:40
    For those that didn't notice, I pulled the initial post off a "jokes" website. Those who are a little more attentive might have noticed that that is where I got the title of the thread from.

I did it in a way to see what kind of reaction I would get on RHP. I sure got what I was looking for!

I can conclude that the majority of RHP have as much a sense of homour as the quantity of teeth that my friend's chicken has.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 18:40
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What makes the village idiot laugh?
    Pretty much everything but juvenile, uncouth, "jesus jokes".
  15. Gangster Land
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 19:30
    For those that didn't notice, I pulled the initial post off a "jokes" website. Those who are a little more attentive might have noticed that that is where I got the title of the thread from.

I did it in a way to see what kind of reaction I would get on RHP. I sure got what I was looking for!

I can conclude that the majority of RHP have as much a sense of homour as the quantity of teeth that my friend's chicken has.
    Perhaps our reaction might be more of a reflection on you than on the RHP population at large. The fact that everyone seemed to assume you posted this story in seriousness might suggest to you that your previous postings were of such a quality and/or depth that rendered your "joke" a plausible dj2becker style argument.

I'm not suggesting your posts are of poor quality exactly but they rarely stray far from typical "Christian youth group" dogma and are always replete with evangelistic jargon

This is exactly what I mean when I suggest to you that you drop the street corner preacher routine and actually participate with your own thoughts in your own words. If you do this people will begin to treat your posts with more respect because they will see you as a real Christian person and not the caricature that you seem intent on making of yourself.

If you make your true thoughts and feeling available to people I think you will find that you will earn enough respect that when you do ask them to allow God to touch their lives your words will have much more power.

What you seem to want to do is regurgitate the dogma that is being fed to you, which is bad enough, but then you frame the dogma in Christian jargon and most people are just going to dismiss that out of hand. Basically they have heard it all before and hearing it over and over again by powershaker, BF101, RBHILL and to a slightly lesser extent you; it gets very tedious.

All, I'm saying is there are more effective ways to impact people's lives than the path you have chosen. Think about it.

TheSkipper

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree