1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 20:35
    I would like to put forward the dictionary meanings of those 3 words for clarification, because in the past there were persons claiming spituality is not science (but i want to show it is a science in its own right) and that Spirituality is different than religion.

SCIENCE: 1. the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance:
    2. a department of systemized knowledge as an object of study.
    3.knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the
    operation of general laws obtained and tested by scientific method.

RELIGION. 1.the service and worship of God or the supernatural.
    2. commitment or devotion to religious faith or observances.
    3. a personal set or institutionalized, system of religious beliefs and
    practices

SPIRITUALITY. 1. the condition and quality of being spiritual / non material
    2. removing illusions or false ideas at the sensory, feeling and
    thinking aspects of a person.
    3 concerning the spirit/soul/sense of deep self.

Some bodies of knowledge accepted as science:

Clinical science
    Biomedical science
    Forensic science
    Food science
    Political science
    Computer science
    Forestry and conservation science
    Enviromental science
    Social science
    agricultural science
    Military science
    Mortuary science
    Soil science
    Earth science
    Theology science
    Spiritual science
    etc, etc, etc.

Theres so many departments of knowledge, and Spirituality has its body of knowledge in the (Vedanta teachings)

Christianity has its body of knowledge in the Bible.

And theres many bodies of knowledge in the clinical sciences.

vishva
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 05:532 edits
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    I would like to put forward the dictionary meanings of those 3 words for clarification, because in the past there were persons claiming spituality is not science (but i want to show it is a science in its own right) and that Spirituality is different than religion.

...[text shortened]... owledge in the Bible.

vishva
    This is what Wikipedia says in the matter:

"Science is a systematic enterprise of gathering knowledge about nature and organizing and condensing that knowledge into testable laws and theories."

"Religion is the belief in and worship of a god or gods, or in general a set of beliefs explaining the existence of and giving meaning to the universe, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

"Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live."

From what source are you getting your information? It seems to be a bit erroneous.

A keyword in Science is 'testable laws and theories'. The theory of Evolution is testable and is thus a science. Spiritual hocus pocus is not.

I still see you as a deeply religious person. That you are spiritual we agree, but that you are a deeply fundamentalist religious person, we're not. Perhaps it doesn't sound good enough in your ears, I don't know.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 07:17

vishva
    Where did you get theology science and spiritual science from?
    I'd like to know how you expect any sort of science to progress that deals with spirits?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 10:39

vishva
    Perhaps you might try a different dictionary? Mine defines science primarily as "a branch of knowledge conducted on objective principles involving the systematized observation of and experiment with phenomena, esp. concerned with the material and functions of the physical universe..." It goes on, but the crucial points have been made. There just isn't any way there can be a 'science' of theology or spirituality, as however you choose to interpret these words they refer to positions based on a belief system. Before you can have a 'spiritual' science, you need to demonstrate evidence for the existence of 'spirit', and thus far, such evidence exists only in the realms of science fiction.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 20:52
    What will it profit a man to gain all the scientific knowledge in the world and lose his own soul ?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 02:51
    Originally posted by jaywill
    What will it profit a man to gain all the scientific knowledge in the world and lose his own soul ?
    Ask Dawkins.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 03:011 edit
    Some people might have an agenda to deny God for certain personal reasons, so they close ther hearts and mind to everything that would point to God being a reality, and then claim there is no God.....so its no wonder that God is definitely non existent in their world.

These people often conclued that if religion is man made and false,(which it mainly is) then God must be also be false, but this is a poor conclusion to come to, because God is a reality, and when these people open their hearts and minds, and weed out any envious intentions, and study the Vedanta spiritual teachings, then they will surely be able to see differently.

But if someone is satisfied in their stand that God is non-existent, then they would not even want to understand any differently, in other words, if a persons desire is, that they want God to not be real, then they would not make any endeavour what so ever, to see if maybe their perception is faulty or not.

This saying would sum it up nicely: :there is no one so blind, as the person who refuses to see" (unknown source)

vishva
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 03:07
    Originally posted by amannion
    Where did you get theology science and spiritual science from?
    I'd like to know how you expect any sort of science to progress that deals with spirits?
    You are a conscious scientist, so i would like to know how you would do all your scientific work without a consciousness, your consciousness is a direct product of spirit, consciouness is not a material thing.

vishva
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 06:371 edit
    Christians keep talking about their souls and how valuable they are, but whenever I start a discussion about them, all the Christians disappear or go silent. What is this soul that you value so much but wont talk about?

As long as it remains a poorly defined seemingly imaginary entity that has little to do with what I identify as 'me', I would rather have scientific knowledge than a soul.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 06:421 edit
    This saying would sum it up nicely: :there is no one so blind, as the person who refuses to see" (unknown source)
    Have you considered that you may be the one in that position not us? How will you know if you refuse to discuss what you post? Surely the one who remains blind is the one who refuses to be questioned?
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 11:161 edit
    So a greater understanding of the physical world means somebody will lose their soul in your eyes?
  12. Joined
    02 Mar '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 05:04
    surly you are not trying to say that spirituality is also science
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 05:372 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Christians keep talking about their souls and how valuable they are, but whenever I start a discussion about them, all the Christians disappear or go silent. What is this soul that you value so much but wont talk about?

As long as it remains a poorly defined seemingly imaginary entity that has little to do with what I identify as 'me', I would rather have scientific knowledge than a soul.
    =======================
    I would rather have scientific knowledge than a soul.
    ==============================

That's a logical contradition. You cannot have knowledge without a soul.

And I rather like the words of Christ to seek FIRST the kingdom and His righteousness AND all these things will be added to you.

I do not disappear when you try to have a conversation. I choose not to waste much time with you.

If that seems to you to be dissappearing, well that's fine with me. I choose that to read your stuff and engage you is basically a waste of time.

And you probably feel that same towards me, so we're even.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 05:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead

You must talk to different Christians than I. Christians are prolific here in South Carolina,and many will be happy to explain that the soul (which some call the spirit) is that part of us that continues on after our bodily, physical demise. Since the body rots away, without this essence, there would be nothing left of us---hence this life would be....all there is! To many of us, that makes the sould quite valuable indeed, as it's our only remnant that proceeds toward the afterlife.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 22:53
    You are a conscious scientist, so i would like to know how you would do all your scientific work without a consciousness, your consciousness is a direct product of spirit, consciouness is not a material thing.

vishva
    You didn't answer my question.
    You claimed a list of recognised scientific disciplines including spiritual science and religious science. Where are these practiced? Who are the leaders in these fields? What work are they practicing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree