1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 05:03
    Check out this web site:

http://livescience.com/othernews/060404_jesus_ice.html

Apparently scientists seem to think that conditions could have conspired to create hard-to-see ice on the Sea of Galilee that Jesus could have walked on.

Reactions??????????
  2. Cosmos
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 05:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Check out this web site:

Apparently scientists seem to think that conditions could have conspired to create hard-to-see ice on the Sea of Galilee that Jesus could have walked on.

Reactions??????????
    It's a damn sight more believable than a man defying gravity because he is the son of God.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 05:27
    Originally posted by howardgee
    It's a damn sight more believable than a man defying gravity because he is the son of God.
    In some ways it makes just as much sense using science to explain away the miracles of God as it does explaining the miracles of God using science.
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 06:22
    In some ways it makes just as much sense using science to explain away the miracles of God as it does explaining the miracles of God using science.
    If science can explain them, then they cannot be miracles of God.

This is called education and enlightenment.

Knowledge replaces ignorance.
  5. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 06:52
    Check out this web site:

Reactions??????????
    I believe Jesus walked on that water - just like the Bible said He did - without the "hard-to-see-ICE".

If science can really prove that it was ice that Jesus walked on, can they come up with some scientific thought/prove how the Red sea opened when Moses hit it with is stick??? What is your thoughts on this?
  6. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 07:221 edit
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    If science can really prove that it was ice that Jesus walked on, can they come up with some scientific thought/prove how the Red sea opened when Moses hit it with is stick??? What is your thoughts on this?
    Gigantic underwater plugholes.
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 07:471 edit
    Wait? What?

EDIT: 😕 You just said the same thing twice and compared them to each other.
  8. Cosmos
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 08:18
    Originally posted by PawnCurry
    Gigantic underwater plugholes.
    Actually, scientific opinion is that this was a Tsunami caused by an Earth quake.

That other 'miracle'. the walls of Jericho is also attributable to an earthquake. Indeed, archeologists have seen that the walls had previously been repeatedly repaired after similar earthquakes.

Soon there will be no ignorance, and no room for God in the world of man.
  9. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 10:17
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Wait? What?

If he said the same point twice, then surely his assertion, that each point made as much sense as the other, is true. Credit where credit is due.
  10. The moral highground
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 10:182 edits
    As I said, without science there would be no god.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 10:253 edits
    I believe Jesus walked on that water - just like the Bible said He did - without the "hard-to-see-ICE".
    If science can really prove that it was ice that Jesus walked on, can they come up with some scientific thought/prove how the Red sea opened when Moses hit it with is stick???

Yes they can (at least a plausible explanation of it). But I'm sure someone could find an excellent link to explain it all.

P.S. What makes you so sure Moese opened the Red sea?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 12:34
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Wait? What?

What I was attempting to point out was that scientists trying to explain how Jesus walked on water using science may make as much sense as creationists using science to explain how God created the universe. These are miracles. Science says there are no miracles. The two are incompatable in that respect.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 12:482 edits

I have heard scientist try to come up with explanations as to why the Red Sea may have parted. I have heard theories about how there may have been earthquakes and such that may have been attributable to the phenomenon. I also heard a theologian of all people say that the Sea of Reeds was simply shallow enough for them to pass through and that no miracle actually happened. What he failed to take into account was the pursuing Eygptian army that drowned once they crossed. I have also seen where scientists have speculated how the Hebrew people constructed the ark of the covenant. They speculated that they were able to construct some sort of electrical device inside the ark that appeared to give it power. They, in fact, have no proof the ark actually existed or that is displayed supernatural powers except the Biblical text which they debunk. That is until archeologists found a replica of some kind in Israel back in the 1980's. When I hear of these "reasonings" all I want to do is laugh at them. On the one hand, nonbelievers say that the Bible is fantasy. On the other hand, they then try to prove how this fantasy actually became a reality using science. It seems as long as they cast a shadow of unbelief on scripture they are happy. They do this by either conceeding the stories are true and explaining how God was not involved by explaining it through science or they dismiss the stories all together as untrue. A miracle is equivalent to the power of God, not the power of science. There are no room for miracles in science, which includes the origins of life itself. It can all be explained away.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K

Yes they can (at least a plausible explanation of it). But I'm sure someone could find an excellent link to explain it all.

P.S. What makes you so sure Moese opened the Red sea?[/b]
    Indeed. There is always a link out there on the world wide web waiting to debunk any christian held belief. There will always be unbelief in the world, at least according to the Bible. Who here can even prove that the Jewish nation were held captive in Eygept to cross the Red Sea to their promised land? Where is the historical evidence? It is only in the Bible. It seems that the Eygeptian historians have a propensity to only record historical facts that cast them in a favorable light. At least that is what I read in an archeological magazine once. Once sceince can prove that the Jewish people had been there then you will hear all of these explanations that are devoid of devine intervention as to how they could have escaped Eygept without an army.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 14:17
    Indeed. There is always a link out there on the world wide web waiting to debunk any christian held belief. There will always be unbelief in the world, at least according to the Bible. Who here can even prove that the Jewish nation were held captive in Eygept to cross the Red Sea to their promised land? Where is the historical evidence? It is only in the ...[text shortened]... that are devoid of devine intervention as to how they could have escaped Eygept without an army.
    Ah, so the lack of proof for the biblical account is now the fault of the nasty egyptian archaeologists now, is it? Good to know about you christians, that you hold everyone else in such contempt. People, this is the true rub of christianity. I've maintained the position on these forums for a long time that neither good nor evil people actually exist, just differences of opinion. Here is a fantastic example of that - a fanatic who blames others for th shortcomings of his own religion. Hey, whodey, why not go out and slaughter those unbelieveing, treacherous archaeologists - repressing your god and all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree