1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 00:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Someone even tried looking for Homer's Troy; what an idiot!
    Err.....Umm....They did find Homers Troy.

http://www.iit.edu/~agunsa/truva/truva/truva0.html
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 00:29
    Originally posted by whodey

It's called: SARCASM.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 01:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Here's one from Wik:

"Confirmed Biblical structures
    Gibeon pool (at el-Jib)
    Hezekiah's tunnel under Jerusalem
    Jericho's walls
    They date to sometime in the mid-second millennium BC and may have been destroyed by a siege or an earthquake. Opinions differ as to whether they are the walls referred to in the Bible. The walls were originally dated by J ...[text shortened]... esence also dates to this period."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_archaeology
    I do not trust wiki on these matters. American xian apologists are notorious for falsifying entries on things they care about.

I'll dig up my source though so that I'm not just naysaying.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 01:48

They may have found Homers' Troy, but they can't find that file. :-/
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 02:47
    Originally posted by David C
    They may have found Homers' Troy, but they can't find that file. :-/
    Well there's always the Atlantis story to confirm and Mu. Every now and then someone claims to have found those.
    Of course christians could never in a million years come to the conclusion all those bible stories were just that, stories made by man and not inspired by a god at all.
    I like to practice my guitar and mandolin in the spring by our little canal, it was built about 160 years ago and used as a coal canal till 1960 or so but now its just a pathway for walkers, runners and bicycles and has some benches to sit, so I go there and practice on a nice spring day. So this one place right across the bridge in Walnutport has a halfway house used to be a small hotel but now is this halfway house for mentally challanged or mentally ill patients who can maybe someday go all the way into regular society but for these people its the halfway house 24/7 for now. So I am practicing, rehearsing, writing stuff on guitar and mandolin and these people wander in and out of my little territory, obviously mentally unstable, not able to fend for themselves and I get to thinking, how can christians ever think these helpless ones were put on this earth deliberately by their god?
    So this god knows everything right? So it made the decision to put those mentally defective people on earth to what, TEST THEM? Just how does a mentally defective person ever get an ability to make themselves somehow 'spiritual' if they don't even understand what spirituality is and never will? So this god just decides, Hey I think I'll make a few million defectives, what a great joke on the human race and then breaks out into a raucus laugh? So whats going on with that?
    A little girl is born with half a brain, no arms and one leg and this is to what, TEST HER SPIRIT? How can she be tested if she has no brain or the brain at the level of a chimpanzie? What do christians say about this? Gods unknowable eternal plan? What kind of sick plan is that where an omnicient god can do whatever it wants and then decides to make defective humans? I mean defective from birth. So explain that, christianity.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 02:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well there's always the Atlantis story to confirm and Mu. Every now and then someone claims to have found those.
    Of course christians could never in a million years come to the conclusion all those bible stories were just that, stories made by man and not inspired by a god at all.
    I like to practice my guitar and mandolin in the spring by our little can ...[text shortened]... cides to make defective humans? I mean defective from birth. So explain that, christianity.
    That's a whole lot of words about retards.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 03:07
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    That's a whole lot of words about retards.
    I was actually asking what christians thought about it, not you, I know you are atheistic, which is a good thing IMHO.
  8. Cosmos
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 04:02
    If anyone wants to get any more good laughs here is another crack pot scientist who explains how the children of Israel crossed the Red Sea.

http://www.asa3.org:16080/archive/evolution/199808/0304.html

How many of these guys are out there?
    No more crackpot than your are for believing the 'miracle' happened in the first place.

At least the scientist is attempting to explain the phenomena, whereas you uncritically swallow a centuries-old story and accept that God exists, whilst having the cheek to criticise other more analytic people for questioning your blind faith.
  9. Cosmos
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 04:04
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    If he said the same point twice, then surely his assertion, that each point made as much sense as the other, is true. Credit where credit is due.
    It's his only chance of ever being plausible.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 06:03
    The actual 23 page paper is at: http://www.doronnof.net/files/kinneret.pdf

I invite whodey to read it and report back on how "retarded" it is.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 08:05
    The scientist quoted in the article states that such ice could have existed; (s)he clearly declines to make any statement regarding the Biblical accounts.

"We simply explain that unique freezing processes probably happened in that region only a handful of times during the last 12,000 years," said Doron Nof, a Florida State University Professor o ...[text shortened]... leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."
    However the line of research clearly shows an attempt to draw attention by linking the possibility of ice to Jesus' reported miracle. It basically comes down to unnecessary, attention seeking science. In my view either Jesus did walk on water via a miracle or the story was made up. There is a possibility however that someone else did walk on ice and that people saw it as a miracle and hence it was added it to the Jesus story. However the science surrounding it is simmilar to suggesting that there could have been a whorl wind or tornado at the time Jesus was taken up to heaven.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 14:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    However the line of research clearly shows an attempt to draw attention by linking the possibility of ice to Jesus' reported miracle. It basically comes down to unnecessary, attention seeking science. In my view either Jesus did walk on water via a miracle or the story was made up. There is a possibility however that someone else did walk on ice and that ...[text shortened]... ng that there could have been a whorl wind or tornado at the time Jesus was taken up to heaven.
    I assume you, like whodey, didn't even bother to read the paper. Try it and see if you still feel that way; the link is in my last post.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 20:51
    The actual 23 page paper is at: http://www.doronnof.net/files/kinneret.pdf

I invite whodey to read it and report back on how "retarded" it is.
    All I can say is that this is an impressive amount of scientific knowledge. Unfortunatly this knowledge is used to form an absurd hypothosis.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 20:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    However the line of research clearly shows an attempt to draw attention by linking the possibility of ice to Jesus' reported miracle. It basically comes down to unnecessary, attention seeking science. In my view either Jesus did walk on water via a miracle or the story was made up. There is a possibility however that someone else did walk on ice and that ...[text shortened]... ng that there could have been a whorl wind or tornado at the time Jesus was taken up to heaven.
    Could not have said it better my self
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 21:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I like to practice my guitar and mandolin in the spring by our little can ...[text shortened]... cides to make defective humans? I mean defective from birth. So explain that, christianity.
    I think that its fair to say that all christians, that is to say all honest christians, also struggle with such questions. Do I have all the answers? No, of coarse not. Any one who says they do is a liar. All I know is that we are a fallen race. This correlates to having deficits physically, spiritually, emotionally, ect. We all have imperfections to varying degrees. Am I any better than someone who can't speak or walk or is my life have any more significanc? Am I any better than someone who is mentally retarded or am I any more significant? (Don't answer that, it is simply a retoricle question) No, I would not say that I am any better. You may disagree, however. In fact, many people veiw their lives as more productive and more fulfilling based on such things as intelligence, health, and economic status. They are welcome to their opinions, but I am not willing to say as much. All I know is that those that I love, I will love despite their short comings and deficits. This is truly what matters in life. Love is greater than pain and suffering. I do not mean to trivialize others sufferings when I say this, however, when you get to the end of your life, chances are you will judge its worth based on who you have loved and not how much you have suffered. Who I really feel for are those without love to share with others in their lives. Blame it on God if you wish, however, I think looking in the mirror is our best bet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree