Scientists have the ability to be wrong:

Scientists have the ability to be wrong:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Mar 15

But theists have no such ability. They can NEVER be wrong (in their own minds) They are filled to the brim with absolute certainty.

Even if that certainty is opposite other theist's certainty.

Wars start over such certainty.

rain

Moves
24 Mar 15

They have to convince themselves that they're not wrong, no matter what science or rational thought reveals. If theists realize that they may be wrong, their entire way of life crumbles.

It's psychological more than anything else.

O

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by vivify
They have to convince themselves that they're not wrong, no matter what science or rational thought reveals. If theists realize that they may be wrong, their entire way of life crumbles.

It's psychological more than anything else.
Thus Cognitive Dissonance.

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
But theists have no such ability. They can NEVER be wrong (in their own minds) They are filled to the brim with absolute certainty.

Even if that certainty is opposite other theist's certainty.

Wars start over such certainty.
This is wrong on so many levels, but of course it's impossible to convince an atheist that he could possibly be wrong about religion in any way.

O

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
This is wrong on so many levels, but of course it's impossible to convince an atheist that he could possibly be wrong about religion in any way.
That is not true, I am an atheist but admit I could be wrong. Theists cannot make this simple statement. A small but highly significant difference.

rain

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by OdBod
Care to explain why?

O

Moves
24 Mar 15
1 edit

Originally posted by vivify
Care to explain why?
I recognise that I am not the keeper of some ultimate truth, my views will change as more information becomes available to us. Theists are fixed in their view regardless of new information.

Infidel

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
So you could be wrong about the existence of god? It could be that, despite what you believe, there is no god and this life is all there is?

Yes? No? Maybe?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by Great King Rat
So you could be wrong about the existence of god? It could be that, despite what you believe, there is no god and this life is all there is?

Yes? No? Maybe?
That 'is this all there is' stance when confronting atheists is a particular annoyance of mine.

It's like here we have this absolute jewel of a planet, a real rarity in the universe, proven by astronomers now up to something like 2000 planets discovered and very few of them have the configuration of a small planet like Earth in the goldilocks zone and with a thin atmosphere like Earth's.

So we KNOW Earth is a Jewel.

Yet for theists, that is never enough.

No matter what wonders science reveals, it is never enough.

Theist's obsession with the idea there HAS to be a god thwarts their minds away from the real heaven of a planet we have here and we don't NEED anything else.

Why isn't this jewel of a planet enough? Why denigrate the life we have thinking there will ALWAYS be a better one when we die.

It's like you theists only concentrate on the future of your alleged afterlife, being OBVIOUSLY much better than ANYTHING this jewel of a planet has to offer.

The planet, humanity, the animals, plants, ocean life will be much better off if we can just shuck the shackles of theism and concentrate on making THIS place better for all living creatures including mankind.

But NO, Theists cannot let well enough alone, they HAVE to have it in such a way as Earth is our hell, not our heaven.

That REALLY upsets me more than almost anything else about theism.

Infidel

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by sonhouse

It's like you theists only concentrate on the future of your alleged afterlife, being OBVIOUSLY much better than ANYTHING this jewel of a planet has to offer.
I'm a dirty, good-for-nothing atheist 😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by OdBod
Tell me something OdBod, I have been curious about this for awhile.

Does one display Cognitive Dissonance to believe according to the Theory of Relativity that Space and been be curved ?

I'm told that the effect of gravity is caused by the curvature of space-time around mass. Do I have cognitive dissonance to imagine space can curve?

O

Moves
24 Mar 15

Originally posted by sonship

Does one display Cognitive Dissonance to believe according to the Theory of Relativity that Space and been be curved ?

I'm told that the effect of gravity is caused by the curvature of space-time around mass. Do I have cognitive dissonance to imagine space can curve?
It is just that sonship, a theory. Science recognises that this not the full story, and certainly will evolve with more knowledge. Theists don't regard their gods as a theory, for them it is a fact, which any amount of new information cannot change, thus CD.

Infidel

Moves
24 Mar 15

You are apparently unaware of what the hell cognitive dissonance actually means.

Great King Rat to the rescue: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Read and learn.

Or ignore.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Great King Rat
You are apparently unaware of what the hell cognitive dissonance actually means.

Great King Rat to the rescue: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Read and learn.

Or ignore.
Maybe I could read up. But I first heard that term in 1978 abouts.

Before I go off and get your extended education, I recall, that Cognitive Dissonance had to do with believing two contradictory things which could not be logically reconciled. (laymen's recollected terms)

I met with Christians which were accused by some cult fighters (acting like Psychologists) of having Cognitive Dissonance. That was over 35 years ago. When did you first hear the term?

Has the meaning substantially changed since then so that I need an update?

Infidel

Moves
24 Mar 15

Maybe I could read up. But I first heard that term in 1978 abouts.

Before I go off and get your extended education, I recall, that Cognitive Dissonance had to do with believing two contradictory things which could not be logically reconciled. (laymen's recollected terms)

I met with Christians which were accused by some cult fighters of having Cognit ...[text shortened]... st hear the term?

Has the meaning substantially changed since then so that I need an update?
You're asking if believing a scientific theory means you are displaying CD.

Clearly, you haven't the foggiest idea what CD means, and writing some stuff about when you first heard the term does nothing to hide that.

Read and learn.