1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    So that's a "no" then?
    I didn't realize you were only looking for a simple "yes" or "no" answer.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:25
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I didn't realize you were only looking for a simple "yes" or "no" answer.
    If you were sincere in your efforts to oppose "hate speech" and thought you had a good handle on what it actually is, you would surely be able to give a straight forward answer to my straight forward yes or no question.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you were sincere in your efforts to oppose "hate speech" and thought you had a good handle on what it actually is, you would surely be able to give a straight forward answer to my straight forward yes or no question.
    Most people think it's a good idea to have reasons for what they say... and if you sincerely wanted to know what I was saying then perhaps you should have taken the time to read what I said.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:45
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Most people think it's a good idea to have reasons for what they say... and if you sincerely wanted to know what I was saying then perhaps you should have taken the time to read what I said.
    I did. That's why I called you on it. In my experience here at RHP, posters brandishing the notion of "hate speech" more often than not do so in an attempt to poison the discourse ~ land a punch, so to speak, even in weaselly or waffly ways, as in your case ~ and they do not intend their reference to "hate speech" to be an attempt at genuine analysis. I suppose, in a way, your reaction to me calling you on it two or three posts ago is a sign that you are perhaps engaged in the 'more often than not' thing.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But theists have no such ability. They can NEVER be wrong (in their own minds) They are filled to the brim with absolute certainty.

Even if that certainty is opposite other theist's certainty.

Wars start over such certainty.
    Very broad brush you are painting everyone with, care to be a little bit more
    specific? Scientist can be wrong about what? Theist can never be wrong
    about what?

I responded to you about this once already, I don't know a single Theist
    that believes they cannot be wrong, I do however believe more than one
    Atheist here believes what they believe about the universe is true and those
    that don't see the universe the way they do are all wrong, because they
    are just certain they view things as they are, in other words they can never
    be wrong (in their own minds).

If you want to suggest you can speak for all scientist, well that would make
    you someone of importance, I would guess in your mind, well I think you
    get the picture.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    I did. That's why I called you on it. In my experience here at RHP, posters brandishing the notion of "hate speech" more often than not do so in an attempt to poison the discourse ~ land a punch, so to speak, even in weaselly or waffly ways, as in your case ~ and they do not intend their reference to "hate speech" to be an attempt at genuine analysis. I suppose, ...[text shortened]... wo or three posts ago is a sign that you are perhaps engaged in the 'more often than not' thing.
    It's been nice chatting with you... we should it again sometime. 😵
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 04:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    that believes they cannot be wrong...
    ...I do however believe more than one Atheist here believes what they believe about the universe is true and those that don't see the universe the way they do are all wrong, because they are just certain they view things as they are, in other words they can never be wrong (in their own minds).

You have been on this forum how many years and you've never seen a theist who "...believes what they believe about the universe is true and those that don't see the universe the way they do are all wrong, because they are just certain they view things as they are"? Goodness me!

You've never seen any theist express certainty in their beliefs in a way similar to how atheists often do? Very odd. I see it here all the time.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 09:41
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    So you could be wrong about the existence of god? It could be that, despite what you believe, there is no god and this life is all there is?

Yes? No? Maybe?
    I could be wrong about many things, but I do not count those among them.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 10:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I could be wrong about many things, but I do not count those among them.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    It is the difference between someone's facts and another's faith. I say faith
    because I cannot prove it, I have to leave room for being wrong. While those
    that wish to dismiss us claim to have facts to back their views up, and some
    of those facts are just beliefs, they could be wrong, yet are Hell bent on
    declaring how wrong we are. The only ones that could or would declare how
    wrong we are are those that believe their views are, well, right.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 11:07
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That is very true, it is not the dog soldiers I am talking about, not infantry or the flyboys, I am talking about the politicians who make the decisions to go to war.

If your prime minister or president comes on CNN and declares war, there is not much the soldier can do about it, even the generals. The boss says we are going to war, you go to war.

The certainty I am talking about is like the first forays of Islam, armies going out around the year 750 AD or so and taking over ajoining countries to force them to convert to Islam.

It is THAT kind of certainty I am talking about.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 13:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Very broad brush you are painting everyone with, care to be a little bit more
    specific? Scientist can be wrong about what? Theist can never be wrong
    about what?

that believes they cannot be wrong, I do however believe more than one
    Atheist here believes what they believe about ...[text shortened]... make
    you someone of importance, I would guess in your mind, well I think you
    get the picture.
    I don't know a single Theist
    that believes they cannot be wrong,

so you accept that there is a chance God does not exist, correct?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 13:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No.
    There you go. Sonhouse was right.

How about your brand of religion? Do you think there is a chance Muslims have it right when it comes to their beliefs, and not you? Could RJHinds' ideas about how god operates be correct and not yours?

Do you think your beliefs about god being good, might be wrong?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 14:004 edits
    He still says "No."
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 20:25
    Originally posted by OdBod
    That is not true, I am an atheist but admit I could be wrong. Theists cannot make this simple statement. A small but highly significant difference.
    And by making that claim, you've just proved yourself wrong. Again.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

How about your brand of religion? Do you think there is a chance Muslims have it right when it comes to their beliefs, and not you? Could RJHinds' ideas about how god operates be correct and not yours?

Do you think your beliefs about god being good, might be wrong?

What can pointing to one particular religion (Islam) prove about all religions? He's done a bait and switch here. First he makes a (generalized) statement defining (all) theists, and then he points to a form of Islam (specific example) that comes the closest to fitting his definition. I'm assuming he won't try to pull a bait and double switch... proving a general definition by pointing to a specific example, and then using that example to prove his general definition.

However, now that I think about it (and I could be wrong) it is possible he might do just that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree