1. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 09:20
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Okay, let's get rid of the term "character" altogether.

(1)
    Either ALL EVENTS PROXIMATE TO PERSON P, INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL (ALL) are causally sufficient for P to act in the manner he does, or ALL are not sufficient.

(2)
    If ALL are causally sufficient, then P could not have done otherwise than that which he in fact did.

(3)
    If ALL are ...[text shortened]... r sufficient cause, then the act could logically be free. Isn't this possible in principle?

It seems that #1 is too inclusive to allow a proper statement...since the manifestation of freewill, I would think, would consist of a series of internal events.... All in all, I don't see this heading anywhere.
  2. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 09:26
    Originally posted by echecero
    It seems that #1 is too inclusive to allow a proper statement...since the manifestation of freewill, I would think, would consist of a series of internal events.... All in all, I don't see this heading anywhere.
    Well, both internal and external events, by acting as causes for the psychological events underlying apparently willful acts, might make free will impossible, don't you agree? Hence, it's important to incorporate them into the argument.
  3. London
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 09:36
    I would think so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree