1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 03:372 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.

(Genesis 1:9 NKJV)

If the waters are gathered together into one place, doesn't that imply that the land is also in one place. What am I missing here that allows for the land to already be divided into continents?
    ...[text shortened]... the volcanic eruptions that probably took place both above and under water?

The Instructor[/b]
    Rock flowing that fast is called magma - the entire crust would melt.

The Genesis quote means the oceans have to be connected (which they are) not the land masses. Psalms is poetry for pity's sake. Do you think Shakespeare is literally true?

Do you really insist on the literal truth of the Bible? All the way though? Including the parables - do you actually think the sower from the parable was a real person or do you think Jesus was telling a moral tale to make a point?

I can point out a few contradictions if you want to take Genesis really literally. For example after 150 odd days of a physically impossible quantity of water covering the world (*) which would have killed all land species stone dead - a dove from the ark found an olive branch. How did the olive tree survive the flood?

(*) no there is nowhere it could go - you need magic to fix this - it is simply too much water to still be on the planet. By several orders of magnitude - this is a layer of water 8km thick covering the entire planet - it won't work.

Edit - reorganised and the top paragraph added.
    Edit 2 - in my earlier post I made a typo - 200cm/hour should be 200mm/hour, but we are talking about a continent here.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 11:48
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Rock flowing that fast is called magma - the entire crust would melt.

The Genesis quote means the oceans have to be connected (which they are) not the land masses. Psalms is poetry for pity's sake. Do you think Shakespeare is literally true?

Do you really insist on the literal truth of the Bible? All the way though? Including the parables - do yo ...[text shortened]... st I made a typo - 200cm/hour should be 200mm/hour, but we are talking about a continent here.
    The water covering the earth isn't an issue, it could have been at that time
    that the sea floor spread a great deal allowing water to cover the land. It
    wasn't like anyone was going to be bothered about the land moving about
    when the water was everywhere.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 12:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The water covering the earth isn't an issue, it could have been at that time
    that the sea floor spread a great deal allowing water to cover the land. It
    wasn't like anyone was going to be bothered about the land moving about
    when the water was everywhere.
    Kelly
    the sea floor spread? what does that mean?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 13:24
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    It means during that storm that the earth and the sky were both going off
    on the planet. Water was about to cover the planet, I believe the planet
    changed during this time as well.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 13:42
    It means during that storm that the earth and the sky were both going off
    on the planet. Water was about to cover the planet, I believe the planet
    changed during this time as well.
    Kelly
    im finding this description even harder to understand. the earth and the sky were both going off on the planet???? are you saying the force of the storm is blowing chunks of debris from the ground out into space?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 13:53
    Did you read the original post in this thread by sunhouse?

The Instructor
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 14:07
    Did you read the original post in this thread by sunhouse?

The Instructor
    i did, sonhouses description of the spread wouldnt cause a world wide flood, kelly's does. so i was asking him what he meant by spreading as its clearly different to sonhouses.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 14:372 edits
    i did, sonhouses description of the spread wouldnt cause a world wide flood, kelly's does. so i was asking him what he meant by spreading as its clearly different to sonhouses.
    Kelly did not say anything about it CAUSING a worldwide flood. I think he was considering the possibility of earthquakes on the ocean floors spreading them out to help explain what I had quoted earlier. I repeat:

The waters were standing above the mountains.
    At Your rebuke they fled,
    At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away.
    The mountains rose; the valleys sank down
    To the place which You established for them.
    You set a boundary that they may not pass over,
    So that they will not return to cover the earth.

(Psalm 104:6-9 NASB)

This must refer to the worldwide flood of Noah's day and it says the mountains rose higher than they were before and the valleys sank allowing the waters to find a place that they (the waters) would no longer be able to cover the whole earth again.

Maybe this was when the so-called continental drift began or maybe it started with a continental sprint, since the mountains rose higher. Have you considered the volcanic eruptions that probably took place both above and under water?

He could also be referring to the following verse and suggesting there was a change in the earth by eathquakes and volcanic eruptions that accounted for the waters bursting forth from the underground springs:

In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

(Genesis 7:11 NKJV)

The Instructor
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 15:12
    Kelly did not say anything about it [b]CAUSING a worldwide flood. I think he was considering the possibility of earthquakes on the ocean floors spreading them out to help explain what I had quoted earlier. I repeat:

The waters were standing above the mountains.
    At Your rebuke they fled,
    At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away.
    The mou ...[text shortened]... broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

(Genesis 7:11 NKJV)

The Instructor[/b]
    do you thing god stored all this water knowing that he would need it later to kill everybody? or was it just a happy coincidence?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 15:39
    do you thing god stored all this water knowing that he would need it later to kill everybody? or was it just a happy coincidence?
    I beleive God has the wisdom to plan for all possible occurrences.

The Instructor
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 18:07
    I beleive God has the wisdom to plan for all possible occurrences.

The Instructor
    why plan for all if you know which occurrence will happen. are you suggesting god is not all knowing?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 19:502 edits
    im finding this description even harder to understand. the earth and the sky were both going off on the planet???? are you saying the force of the storm is blowing chunks of debris from the ground out into space?
    At the beginning of time in scripture the earth was covered with water, you
    change the land mass shape the water can be completely over it. The water
    came from under and over during the flood, if you also add the fact that
    land is moving too, it seems very easy to see how it could happen, not to
    difficult at all, nothing has to move into space, flatten it out the water is on
    top, what is hard about that?
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 22:111 edit
    why plan for all if you know which occurrence will happen. are you suggesting god is not all knowing?
    I believe God is all knowing in the sense that He knows all that He needs to know. I believe God gives us privacy to think as we please and is not constantly searching our minds to invade that private place. That does not mean God does not have the power to read minds either. God makes choices just like we do. However, God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

The Instructor
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '13 09:10
    At the beginning of time in scripture the earth was covered with water, you
    change the land mass shape the water can be completely over it. The water
    came from under and over during the flood, if you also add the fact that
    land is moving too, it seems very easy to see how it could happen, not to
    difficult at all, nothing has to move into space, flatten it out the water is on
    top, what is hard about that?
    Kelly
    so water is pushed up from beneath the earth. what is the process? what is causing the pressure? and vast volumes of water starts to fall, why? what is the process? magic?
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '13 09:12
    I believe God is all knowing in the sense that He knows all that He needs to know. I believe God gives us privacy to think as we please and is not constantly searching our minds to invade that private place. That does not mean God does not have the power to read minds either. God makes choices just like we do. However, God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

The Instructor
    how does god know only what he needs to know? without knowing the things he doesnt need to know?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree