Seismic activity as a sign of the last days

Seismic activity as a sign of the last days

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 Apr 16
4 edits

Interestingly I was having a similar conversation with someone about this yesterday. As a Christian myself I accept scripture which says something along the lines of ~specific stuff getting demonstrably worse as the time available for mankind to repent shortens~ Individual mand-made claims that the "end is nigh" really do need to be demonstrable through data to have any credence in conversation or debate.

Furthermore, and just as a thought experiment, hands up anyone here who, if it was proven that earthquakes were on the increase would rush out to join the JWs?

>long pause of several millennia<

Collective answer = No one...

In fact, no atheist, unbeliever or whoever in this forum, or anywhere else, would start believing in God because bad things happen.

The problem you have Robbie, all you JW prophets of doom, and indeed all you Christian prophets of doom have, is that the attraction and call to Jesus Christ as saviour and redeemer has absolutely nothing to do with bad things happening.

Edit: furthermore, the prophecies in revelation and other such places in the Bible are there for believers, they are there as reassurance when things do get bad that God is in it. They are not there to be used as whipping stick to drive the lost into a cult!

Moves
18 Apr 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
really, which of the following data is in your words, 'unreliable',

1976 11 24 - Turkey-Iran border region - M 7.3 Fatalities 5,000
1976 08 16 - Mindanao, Philippines - M 7.9 Fatalities 8,000
1976 07 27 - Tangshan, China - M 7.5 Fatalities 255,000
1976 06 25 - Papua, Indonesia - M 7.1 Fatalities 5,000
1976 02 04 - Guatemala - M 7.5 Fatali ...[text shortened]... scale,
it has been assumed this earthquake was over M 7.0, although this might not be the case
This is a list Robbie.

Shall I make you a list of good things which have happened in the last 24 hours?

rc

Moves
18 Apr 16
3 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
This is a list Robbie.

Shall I make you a list of good things which have happened in the last 24 hours?
I see so you cannot say and once again insist on pandering your opinion as if it has some efficacy beyond the hot air which inflates it. Once again you seem to have little to contribute except the usual dull 'contentious for contentiousness sake', style arguments which has marred your entire posting history. How so thoroughly predictable and so thoroughly banal.

Moves
18 Apr 16

I see so you cannot say and once again insist on pandering your opinion as if it has some efficacy beyond the hot air which inflates it. Once again you seem to have little to contribute except the usual dull contentious for contentiousness sake style arguments which has marred your entire posting history. How so thoroughly predictable and so thoroughly banal.
I have laid out my case against your use of fear to drive the lost into your cult in the post at the top of the page.

rc

Moves
18 Apr 16
1 edit

I have laid out my case against your use of fear to drive the lost into your cult in the post at the top of the page.
more irrelevant nothingness. We are well aware of your douchbaggery and how you attempt to turn any issue against those people you find objectionable, but it wont happen here for this thread is about Jesus prophecy and the scientific data which has been used to establish it, its no place for your prejudices, hatred and rampant douchebaggery, move along, you clearly have nothing worth contributing.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Apr 16

because my dear Wolfgang we must go by what is known ie recorded data rather than what is not known. Surely this is the empirical scientific method?
And "what is known" is that geology does not work in decades or centuries.
You cannot seriously believe that one decade or one century will have similar
seismic activity to another. It is (for all intents) random (the frequency) and
although we can say some events are "overdue" it doesn't mean they
are going to happen tomorrow or even in 100 years.

Moves
18 Apr 16
1 edit

more irrelevant nothingness.
Saying "it is irrelevant" is just empty words. Can you say why the content of my post is irrelevant to the topic in hand?

Edit: I see you edited your post to add some abuse y🙄

rc

Moves
18 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
And "what is known" is that geology does not work in decades or centuries.
You cannot seriously believe that one decade or one century will have similar
seismic activity to another. It is (for all intents) random (the frequency) and
although we can say some events are "overdue" it doesn't mean they
are going to happen tomorrow or even in 100 years.
Again no one has made this claim, either there has been an increase in the magnitude and frequency of measurable seismic activity or there has not and all we can know with any certainty is what has been measured by the scientific method.

rc

Moves
18 Apr 16

Saying "it is irrelevant" is just empty words. Can you say why the content of my post is irrelevant to the topic in hand?

Edit: I see you edited your post to add some abuse y🙄
Yes this is no place for your douchebaggery.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Apr 16

really, which of the following data is in your words, 'unreliable',
The bit where you claim there is a significant increase.
You don't give a source, but I am guessing you got that from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th-century_earthquakes

Wikipedia includes a kind of chart and there is no indication of an increase in the chart.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
18 Apr 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
The bit where you claim there is a significant increase.
You don't give a source, but I am guessing you got that from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th-century_earthquakes

Wikipedia includes a kind of chart and there is no indication of an increase in the chart.
All these facts you keep presenting are an intolerable distraction from the selected handful of facts with uncertain and who-cares-what provenance that can be seen in a certain light at a particular time of day weather permitting if you squint one eye to suggest that maybe ...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Apr 16

Again no one has made this claim, either there has been an increase in the magnitude and frequency of measurable seismic activity or there has not and all we can know with any certainty is what has been measured by the scientific method.
Obviously what I am saying is that even if an increase can be shown it is irrelevant.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Apr 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
There is probably an increase in Earthquakes hitting heavily populated areas over the last century,
as the number of heavily populated areas increases this is pretty inevitable.

But as you say, nobody in the relevant field is concerned about any great increase in earthquake
frequency... mainly because there isn't one.

I still find it hard to ...[text shortened]... in almost every metric you care to name in making life better for the majority
of human kind.
I find this amusing, because this reminds me of the far-right's view that global warming is "nonsense".

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Apr 16

Interestingly I was having a similar conversation with someone about this yesterday. As a Christian myself I accept scripture which says something along the lines of ~specific stuff getting demonstrably worse as the time available for mankind to repent shortens~ Individual mand-made claims that the "end is nigh" really do need to be demonstrable through ...[text shortened]... hat God is in it. They are not there to be used as whipping stick to drive the lost into a cult!
Now this, I can actually agree with.

Moves
18 Apr 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Now this, I can actually agree with.
I'm certain that doctrinally we would agree 90%.