1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 04:404 edits
    Genesis 3:21 And YHVH God made garments of light for the man and for his wife, and clothed them.

When I walk out in the morning in this wild place where I live, my presence, appearing among all the other presences, is noticed by them—I am seen.

The wrens, who are busy building another nest in one of the hanging ferns on our porch, scold me for being there—but they are not so inhibited by my presence that they do more than that. I speak to them, the female and the male in turn: they cock their heads, say something that I do not understand, and continue their project. We have known each other for some time now. I may be a bother, but I am no threat. In the late evening, they will even tell me when it is time for me to go inside.

A hummingbird zooms in to tease me as I sit on the porch swing and drink my coffee. If I play my flute, sometimes one or two will come over and dance for me. If I forget to fill their feeder, they will inform me of my oversight—and watch through the kitchen window as I prepare some food for them. In fact, if they have not seen me outside, they will search through the windows. Even my absence is noticed.

When I go out to fill the feeders for the other birds—gold and purple finches, cardinals, indigo buntings, woodpeckers, jays, cowbirds, mockingbirds, doves and others—I notice the change in their songs to each other. Sometimes, I can see them watching me from their various perches. In season, we breakfast together at the cherry trees.

I have had conversations with the deer, and they have brought their young to visit our yard (really: they have brought their young to—visit!). I have spoken close with the blacksnakes coiled in the grass. The turkeys keep no more than a pleasant distance (and once we had a cat who could stroll without commotion through a whole flock: apparently they had come to some understanding). Every day the great blue heron fishes in our creek, but flees if he believes he has been seen.

I have locked eyes with coyotes and bobcats. The hawks acknowledge my wave. I have made treaties with the wasps. Various butterflies have no fear of me at all, and drink the salt-sweat from my skin. The hornet has no fear of me at all, and seems to sense my fear of him.

I do not say that the world is full of presence—I do say it is filled with presences. When I go among them, I am noticed—I am seen. I am one of them. That does mean that I am a friend. I am seen by some as at least a potential predator. I am weighed; my presence is judged. Some are more wary than others. As I say, some—or their offspring in some strange way—have known me longer than others.

I have spent some years here now, observing the others. But it took me some time to learn that I was also being observed, to notice how I was being noticed, to watch how I was being watched. I now have conversations even with the trees, though I assign them no particular consciousness.

Noticing and being noticed; seeing and being seen; listening and being heard. Becoming aware of a kind of—relationship; a communion among species. Basically, we share habitat.

Sometimes, it seems to me, we are so busy observing the world around us, and its inhabitants—assessing and judging them in relation to ourselves—that we may forget that we as well are being observed, assessed, judged. And not simply by our own kind. Take a walk in the forest. Allow your mind to go quiet. And simply become aware—that your passage does not go unheeded. You are being noticed; you are being watched; your presence is being weighed and judged.

In all this, the lion does not lie down with the lamb; the red-tailed hawk still takes the mole from the meadow; the rattlesnake will strike you if she is startled. Life eats life to live, as do I. As I say, I live in a wild place.

I am no longer sure that it is that much different living among strictly human presences.

The point is that I am daily present as a presence among other aware presences, among whom I live and move and have my being. I cannot hide, except inside my own mind. I cannot pretend with mere words that my presence is other than it is, that my intentions are other than they are, that I am not who I am—right here, right now. These wild folk see too clearly for that. They know.

It is, for me, in this being aware of being seen that all spiritual egoism collapses. I am not seen as being special: I am only seen as another presence to be assessed in this whole web of presences, wandering in and out of one another’s space. I am seen by some as friend, by others as foe, by others as worthy of no more than a casual wariness, by others as—irrrelevant. A presence appears; the web adjusts; folks continue about their business. That’s all.

There is a tradition that translates the Hebrew word Or in Genesis 3:21, not as “skins”, but as—light. There is one letter’s difference in the Hebrew between the two words (an ayin for an aleph). I forget where that particular reading comes from, from how ancient a text. But it is an interesting one. The original humans in Genesis were naked and unashamed of it; then they became ashamed; and then YHVH (pretty literally, “the One that is” ) dressed them in skins of—light. They are now not less exposed (except in the illusions of their own mind), but even more exposed. They are, not in their own sight but to the sight of the other creatures, en-lightened.

I walk out in the morning in this wild place where I live. My presence is noticed; I am seen. It is in that being-seen, in the awareness of that being-seen, that I become aware of my presence among all the other presences in this web of presence, that I become aware of the others, not just as things, but as—presences aware. In that moment, no matter what “skins” I use to cover myself, what “skins” I attempt to wrap around my own awareness, I am—en-lightened.

The Christian mystic Meister Ekhart once said: “The eye with which I see God is the same eye with which God sees me.” Jesus spoke, paradoxically, of the eye that both lets light into the body, and reveals the light that shines (or does not shine) from inside the body [Matthew 6:22,23].

I walk out in the morning in this wild place. I am seen by eyes not my own. In the light of those eyes, I realize my own presence—not as a singular ego-self, but as one among others, as a presence observed.

Who am I? I am present. I am present as a presence among presences, all entangled in the same web of presence. I am a presence en-lightened by the eyes of others, whose awareness (whose “light” ) declares it. As I declare theirs. That’s all.

We are not alone. None of us is alone. We can pretend to each other that we are shrouded in garments of this or that “skin”. We can pretend to ourselves that we are safely hidden in our shrouds. But if you walk outside in a wild place, a hummingbird or a kingsnake or a hawk will declare to you that it is not so. The wild folk will reveal to you that you are revealed—that you are naked, and clothed in light, and you are not alone.

And if you embrace that revelation, you may become enlightened indeed.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 04:551 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Genesis 3:21 And YHVH God made garments of light for the man and for his wife, and clothed them.

When I walk out in the morning in this wild place where I live, my presence, appearing among all the other presences, is noticed by them—I am seen.

The wrens, who are busy building another nest in one of ...[text shortened]... are not alone.

And if you embrace that revelation, you will become enlightened indeed.
    Move over DoctorScribbles, This is very good.

vistesd, if I were one of the judges, I would have no choice but to give you first place.
    It was very enjoyable to read.
    I am blessed with much the same affinity for creation.
    You put it to words expertly. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 10:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You praise intelligence when what you're really happy about is that he agrees with you. Fool.
    No, no... he's praising my intelligence. Definitely.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 10:13
    Originally posted by josephw
    Move over DoctorScribbles, This is very good.

vistesd, if I were one of the judges, I would have no choice but to give you first place.
    It was very enjoyable to read.
    I am blessed with much the same affinity for creation.
    You put it to words expertly. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Please. Someone tell me you're not one of the judges...
  5. lookin' at ya'
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 10:19
    last saturday,i meen last sabbath as i go to a seventh day adventist church,i meen im a seventh day adventist,our pastor did a one and half hour sermon on Psalm one and is going to move on to Psalm two next sat...sabbath.i am looking forward to Psalm 119 myself.๐Ÿ˜‰
    god bless
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 12:29
    Originally posted by secret squirrel
    last saturday,i meen last sabbath as i go to a seventh day adventist church,i meen im a seventh day adventist,our pastor did a one and half hour sermon on Psalm one and is going to move on to Psalm two next sat...sabbath.i am looking forward to Psalm 119 myself.๐Ÿ˜‰
    god bless
    Well, that's the good thing about this sermon competition. You don't have to leave home to hear a decent sermon and any sermon longer than 7 minutes gets disqualified. Our panel of judges would look upon a one and a half hour sermon as someone with an attitude problem and in need of Jesus.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 13:10
    Originally posted by josephw
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DKUS_en___US255&q=Bible+sermons

Here is at least half a million sermons.

I had an idea for a sermon, but after reading half a million sermons I seem to have lost it.

So I am submitting this post as my entry in this first round.

I was hoping to come up with something original. Maybe next time.

Thank you all very much. Please come again.
    Disqualified as it does not meet the criteria for the competition. I have a good mind to disqualify you from subsequent rounds if you even hint of plagerism. Plus, it said "internet explorer cannot display this page." I might have to choose "thou shall not steal" as the theme for my week just to keep you on a short leash. Or better yet, "Why God loves homosexuals."
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 22:32
    I want to thank each of the four contestants who have entered the first round of the sermon competition. Judges are reviewing the sermons and will be posting their feedback on Tuesday. Pritybetta will be calling the topic/theme for the next round. Entries for that round will be due Saturday by midnight.
  9. Playing with matches
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 00:00
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I want to thank each of the four contestants who have entered the first round of the sermon competition. Judges are reviewing the sermons and will be posting their feedback on Tuesday. Pritybetta will be calling the topic/theme for the next round. Entries for that round will be due Saturday by midnight.
    I give a great sensual massage and, if this will sway Pritybetta to vote for my sermon, I'll give her my scented candle/hot oil special.
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 00:51
    Doc : Your use of illustration and imagery was quite skillful, you have a certain flair for the dramatic, and write with power and passion. I thought your idea was unique, but that the exegesis was a bit week. I also wondered about the need to involve Islam in a Christian service. The topic was thought provoking, but a good sermon always points to hope. In the next round try to model “situation, conflict, resolution” That advice goes as well for all. All in all a good submission, and I would have enjoyed listening to you deliver it.

Shav: I was impressed by your entry. I didn’t expect this from you (based on forum postings). I thought your exegetical work here was right on target. The issue that I have is that it seems to be mostly rhetoric. More exploration on a narrower focus could have produced powerful thought provoking ideas. Use of illustration, or a personal experience helps listeners to better visualize and identify with your point of view. All that said, a very worthwhile read.

HOH: Again I find the exegetical work here to be spot on. It was an interesting descriptive narrative. I think this is a great topic to actually preach, as it gives opportunity for interaction (shouting down the walls etc&hellip๐Ÿ˜‰. I would offer the same advice to you as I gave Shav. An illustration or personal experience helps to make your point. Nice work.

Visted: This was the strongest bit of writing in the field by far; Excellent imagery and illustration, as well as use of “situation, conflict, resolution” model. It might be a bit too intellectual for most congregations. It could hold peoples attention with projected images of nature, etc…so for a sermon competition, (on the internet) I’m not sure topically it was the best choice. Great job!

It was a hard decision for me, but I would have to give my vote to HOH for the first round; and only by the slimmest of margins. They all were quite good.

I am very interested in the other judges opinions๐Ÿ™‚
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 12:44
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Please. Someone tell me you're not one of the judges...
    I'm way too biased to be a judge. I kinda liked your sermon too. You can definitely tell a better story than I can.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 12:591 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Disqualified as it does not meet the criteria for the competition. I have a good mind to disqualify you from subsequent rounds if you even hint of plagerism. Plus, it said "internet explorer cannot display this page." I might have to choose "thou shall not steal" as the theme for my week just to keep you on a short leash. Or better yet, "Why God loves homosexuals."
    Thanks.
    I googled Bible sermons out of curiosity, and got lost in the maze.๐Ÿ™„
    Never plagiarize.
    Besides, I've been too busy lately.
  13. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 20:16
    Since Kirksey gave us 3 criteria for judging, I divided them into 33 points each to get close to 100 points. Although there were only 4 entrants, there is good stuff here however, I would advise all present and future competitors to be careful not to let what you’re saying get lost in the way you’re saying it.

Following are my evaluations.
  14. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 20:16
    Doctor Scribbles

1. Integrity with the passage 18/33
    2. Creativity 30/33
    3. Convincing manner 15/33
    4. Score: 63/99

I get what you were going for but you missed the mark. F&B is about calling the congregation out on its sin and filling them full of fear of the consequences. It is not a scolding mother saying “finish your dinner because there are starving children in Africa”. I don’t want to be told to be grateful for the boring sermon because there are others who would love to hear it.

You took many creative liberties with the verse you chose. The descriptive aspect was very good but you got too caught up in that and ultimately, I remained unconvinced.
  15. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 20:17
    Shavixmir

1. Integrity with the passage 30/33
    2. Creativity 25/33
    3. Convincing manner 25/33
    4. Score: 80/99

Well done! I like the way you worked your passage into the sermon itself. Repetitive structure is effective but you went overboard with it. Be careful of that. Also, this would have been stronger if you had ended it at “And clear is the word of our Saviour Jesus Christ on this matter!”

Overall though, I have to say it’s a thought-provoking piece laid out in an engaging way. This is a good sermon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree