1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 13:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How does the ability to create make you a God? Wheres the logic here?
    Well lets see, to begin with no one created you. Also, you have the ability to create which is not an evolutionary process as you have pointed out. Does this not mean you have supernatural abilities?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 13:29
    Wow, this thread contains some of the poorest thought process I've witnessed in ages. Whodey and Jester, the leaps you are making in reason are astounding. You should open up some wierd surrealist church with that stuff, I'm sure you'd get idiots the world over flocking to you.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 13:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    You really need to watch the words you use.
    You start by critisizing others about thier words then proceed to throw words around like you speak a different language. Now you are even calling me God.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 14:33
    You start by critisizing others about thier words then proceed to throw words around like you speak a different language. Now you are even calling me God.
    I simply would like to explore what we mean by the word God. If there is no God, then do we assume the role? For example, in the scriptures the serpant told Adam and Eve that if they partook of the fruit they would perceive good from evil and be as gods. I think that what the serpant was saying was that you can be your own god. If they decided to act on their own whim and ignored God's will, then they would be acting on their own will that was contrary to God's will. They then became their own god. They no longer chose to recognize the "Lordship" of their God and instead became accountable only to themselves. It seems that the scriptural reference to god is somewhat different to the modern day definition in Wiki.

Atheists seem to get squeemish about the "G" word. Does a god have to be all knowing, all powerful, and beyond the scope of human capacity? Or can being a god simply mean being autonomous and only accountable to one self? Clearly we are at the top of the food chain and seem to be in control of the world. Nothing created us and we are only accountable to ourselves. We are even a triune being possessing body, soul, and dare I say it.......spirit. Look at what we create and acheive. Looking at our evolutionary progress it seems that we are becoming more god like day by day. Who is to say that in another billion years from now that men and women of the future will be "god like" in our eyes.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 14:46
    And what I meant was that if you are an evolutionist then nothing is a result of "creation". In effect, all things evolve and are not created. THerefore, the concept of God is merely a Darwinian phenomenon. What is odd is that evolutionsists spend all their time attacking this evolutionary progression.
    How do concepts and ideas fit within the framework of Darwinism and evolution? That's just absurd.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 14:49
    Originally posted by darvlay
    How do concepts and ideas fit within the framework of Darwinism and evolution? That's just absurd.
    Because nothing is created. All things evolve in some way or as a result of an evolutionary process. If they do not the only other logical conclusion is that they are created.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 14:51
    Because nothing is created. All things evolve in some way or as a result of an evolutionary process. If they do not the only other logical conclusion is that they are created.
    Word?

How silly of me to think that these processes were limited to biological entities.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 14:52
    You cannot apply the theory of evolution to anything outside of the biological advancement of species. If you want to discuss causality and predeterminism start a new thread with a better title.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 14:57
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You cannot apply the theory of evolution to anything outside of the biological advancement of species. If you want to discuss causality and predeterminism start a new thread with a better title.
    I thought that all of our motivations and our very existence focus on the biological advancement of the species? This is wheather we are aware of it or not. If not, is'nt this a blow to the whole Darwinian model of evolution?
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 15:02
    I thought that all of our motivations and our very existence focus on the biological advancement of the species? This is wheather we are aware of it or not. If not, is'nt this a blow to the whole Darwinian model of evolution?
    You're just making stuff up now. The TOE deals with how life evolved biologically from one species to the next. This is not the same as considering the political, cultural and behavioural functions of the progress of society and thought. Attempting to suggest the two are synonymous is farcical.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 16:48
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You're just making stuff up now. The TOE deals with how life evolved biologically from one species to the next. This is not the same as considering the political, cultural and behavioural functions of the progress of society and thought. Attempting to suggest the two are synonymous is farcical.
    Where is the disconnect between our biological function and our political, cultural, and behavoiral functions? It seems to me they should all be interelated.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 18:25
    Where is the disconnect between our biological function and our political, cultural, and behavoiral functions? It seems to me they should all be interelated.
    And they are in a complete and philosophical consideration of the world. But not in terms of the scientific pursuit of the TOE.
  13. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 20:20
    No I think the problem is that you have a different deffinition for the word God than most people and somehow expect everyone else to understand what you are saying. However by your own new definition the origional post immediately looses all meaning. So what is going on?
    Well I merely recognize all avatars of god, but what I want to know is if we are gods servant or gods will....

If we are his servant we cannot have free will.

If we have free will we cannot be his servant, therefore we are his will, therefore our will is gods will.

does that make sense?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 03:54
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Well I merely recognize all avatars of god, but what I want to know is if we are gods servant or gods will....

If we are his servant we cannot have free will.

If we have free will we cannot be his servant, therefore we are his will, therefore our will is gods will.

does that make sense?
    There is no free will!
  15. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 20:31
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    There is no free will!
    That is an invalid statement.

Is there then a freedom of choice?

I have experimented with this, and yes, yes there is free will.

Your choices (free will) can drastically effect your future... and its like a rolling ball, once you make choices in a certain direction you gain momentum in that direction and it becomes harder to make choices in different directions... this phenomena occurs as the brain matures and can give people illusions as to there being no free will, that our decisions are products of our knowledge and past experiences... yet the concept of neuroplasticity totally abolishes this theory.

Neuroplasticity is the brains ability to make new connections throughout life and it relies on its ability to recognize itself.

If this doesn't scream "free-will" then I don't know what does.

Our neruological networks actually dictate the chemicals produced in our hypothalymus and therefore the chemical in which our cells are exposed to. Our cells are covered in receptor sites and these sites actually expand or shrink depending on how often they are activated. by constantly exposing receptor cites to the same chemicals we become addicted to those chemicals (emotions, feelings, actions which produce those chemicals), and yet, if we can recognize this process and these abusive habbits as bad for us we can re-wire our brains by sheer ackgnowledgement of the problem in order to better ourselves.

Our neuro-nets were always seen as very rigid but recent studies into neuroplasticity have revealed quite the opposite and it relies heavily on experience and belief...

Ever had an "AH HA" moment when you understood something you had never understood before? this is an example of neuroplasticity... the brain not making new neurons, but rather, re-connecting old ones.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree