1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:05
    In this forum, from what I've been reading in it, atheists are more coherent than the so-called Christians, (myself excluded of course); (not the topic of this thread).

The atheists are at least consistent in their beliefs, whereas the "Christians" are disunited and disjointed.

It's no wonder the atheist is in unbelief. I can't believe what I hear the so-called Christians saying in here either.

The atheists are at least consistent in not believing there is a God.

The Christians here can't seem to agree about who God is or what God is.

Therefore, it seems logical that no debate in this forum can ever be anything other than an exercise in futility.

Shame on the Christians.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    In this forum, from what I've been reading in it, atheists are more coherent than the so-called Christians, (myself excluded of course); (not the topic of this thread).

The atheists are at least consistent in their beliefs, whereas the "Christians" are disunited and disjointed.

It's no wonder the atheist is in unbelief. I can't believe what I hear the ...[text shortened]... forum can ever be anything other than an exercise in futility.

Shame on the Christians.
    Why does it bother you that Christians can't seem to agree on who God is? It would seem that an element of mystery and a tireless searching might not be such a bad thing. I mean , we're not at war with atheists are we?
  3. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:29
    No, the atheists are consistent in their unbelief, which is much simpler to explain, promote, defend, etc. If you ask ten people about my state or even my city, you'll get ten different descriptions depending on where they live, how they interpret their experiences, etc. For example, there are people who think Arizona is cold and snowy in the winter, because they live in a cold and snowy place. Some people live in an area in which everyone is white, while others live in a diverse area, and others live in a monochromatic area where a white person is rare. It's foolish to expect everyone in Arizona to come up with one answer for "What is Arizona?" It's much easier for people in Novosibirsk to declare that Arizona doesn't exist because they've never been there, never seen it, don't believe other people's experiences of it, etc.

People filter religion through their own experiences and beliefs. Christians do agree that Jesus's earthly parents were Mary (or Miriam) and Joseph. They generally agree that he lived at some point in Bethlehem, Egypt, and Nazareth, and they agree that he died for our sins.

So can you say why this one religion, unlike all other religions, must have only one set of interpretations of every single thing and that everyone who professes Christianity must agree to every single thing? Can you show me a religion that's like that?

Shame on you for thinking that all Christians must proclaim one entire package of lock-step beliefs without allowing for diversity based on personal experience, cultural manifestations of the religion, and the obvious fact that nothing that's passed on from a language that no longer exists is going to remain exactly the same as it was 2000 years ago. Did you miss the part that Christianity was originally passed along by oral tradition, so from the beginning the listeners experience and beliefs were based on which person they learned from? Or that there have been numerous translations of the early texts, and the translation written 4000 years ago for the Church of England is no more "accurate" than subsequent translations?
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:34
    (snip)

It's no wonder the atheist is in unbelief.
    Really, if atheists proclaim that they don't believe in any religion because no one religion contains only one version that every single adherent agrees to, they don't get to blame the religions. It sounds like a cop-out to me. Why not do their own thinking, searching, and reading? Why not decide how they interpret their experiences and the experiences of others?

If I don't believe in God because of my personal experiences, that's perfectly logical. If I blame you for my not believing in God, that's perfectly immature.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:371 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Why does it bother you that Christians can't seem to agree on who God is? It would seem that an element of mystery and a tireless searching might not be such a bad thing. I mean , we're not at war with atheists are we?
    Why does it bother you that Christians can't seem to agree on who God is?

Is God in disagreement with Himself? It is in reference to what the Christians in this forum are posting that I direct my comments. What is know about God is made clear by God Himself in His Word. While it is understandable that there will be disagreements, it is not acceptable that blatant error be acknowledged as truth.

It would seem that an element of mystery and a tireless searching might not be such a bad thing.

I'm for that, but not at the expense of the truth.

I mean , we're not at war with atheists are we?

No we are not. This is the battle. 2 Corinthians 10:5 - Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Nice to see you again kirk.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:40
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    No, the atheists are consistent in their unbelief, which is much simpler to explain, promote, defend, etc. If you ask ten people about my state or even my city, you'll get ten different descriptions depending on where they live, how they interpret their experiences, etc. For example, there are people who think Arizona is cold and snowy in the winter, b ...[text shortened]... ago for the Church of England is no more "accurate" than subsequent translations?
    great post, thought you might have also made mention of the role of individual conscience.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:44
    No, the atheists are consistent in their unbelief, which is much simpler to explain, promote, defend, etc. If you ask ten people about my state or even my city, you'll get ten different descriptions depending on where they live, how they interpret their experiences, etc. For example, there are people who think Arizona is cold and snowy in the winter, b ...[text shortened]... ago for the Church of England is no more "accurate" than subsequent translations?
    People filter religion through their own experiences and beliefs.

Are you suggesting that the truth of God is dependant on subjective experience in order for it to be relevant? And that truth is subject to ones' personal experience and changes with the vagaries of culture, time, and place?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:46
    Really, if atheists proclaim that they don't believe in any religion because no one religion contains only one version that every single adherent agrees to, they don't get to blame the religions. It sounds like a cop-out to me. Why not do their own thinking, searching, and reading? Why not decide how they interpret their experiences and the experience ...[text shortened]... perfectly logical. If I blame you for my not believing in God, that's perfectly immature.
    If you don't believe in God you are perfectly immature. Spiritually dead.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 14:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    great post, thought you might have also made mention of the role of individual conscience.
    If ones' conscience isn't derected by the truth of God's Word what good does it do?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 15:15

It's no wonder the atheist is in unbelief. I can't believe what I hear the ...[text shortened]... forum can ever be anything other than an exercise in futility.

Shame on the Christians.
    Actually your job if you are indeed a follower of Christ is to repeat truthfully and faithfully what Christ preached. Whether or not you win a debate is irrelevant.

Christians are not united is becuase they mostly follow the teachings and interpretation of the organisation to which they are loyal.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 16:201 edit

It's no wonder the atheist is in unbelief. I can't believe what I hear the forum can ever be anything other than an exercise in futility.

Shame on the Christians.
    In regards to this forum, atheists believe one thing "there is no god".

Christians believe lots of things relating to their belief in god and therefore there is more to disagree about.

Your point is moot.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 17:40
    The atheists are at least consistent in not believing there is a God.
    There really isn't a whole lot to be consistent about. Either you believe in a god or you don't. I see little or no inconsistency which ever of those you believe. It is the additional beliefs that people may be inconsistent about.

Therefore, it seems logical that no debate in this forum can ever be anything other than an exercise in futility.
    Why does that follow?

I think what you are really talking about is educated people being somewhat consistent when it comes to science. But that is merely a result of both education and science. I can assure you that several of the very consistent people with regards to science on this forum are actually Christian.

A lot of the people who are inconsistent with themselves are inconsistent because they don't really believe what they are saying half the time. They just make it up as they go along, because a) they think it supports their claims and b) they don't like to admit they don't know the answer.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 19:031 edit

It's no wonder the atheist is in unbelief. I can't believe what I hear the forum can ever be anything other than an exercise in futility.

Shame on the Christians.
    Actually this was fortold to happen by Jesus at Mark 7:6,7 & Rom 10:2,3.
    Also as the Bible says at 2Cor. 11:14,15 that it is Satan that is behind the confusion.
    The sad thing about this simple ploy of Satan in using confusion among the Christian religions is that it tends to make ones that are looking for the truth, to give up and assume that it's hopeless.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 23:41
    If ones' conscience isn't derected by the truth of God's Word what good does it do?
    are you saying that persons without religion, do not have a conscience?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 13:04
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In regards to this forum, atheists believe one thing "there is no god".

Christians believe lots of things relating to their belief in god and therefore there is more to disagree about.

Your point is moot.
    Actually, you made my point. Shame on the Christians for giving atheists reason not to believe.

Why should the non believer believe the Christians when the Christians can't agree on what they believe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree