1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 16:222 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sorry if I misunderstood the question. I have no idea if I were born in another country or society if I would be saying the same. I have no idea.
    But all I can say in a short answer here is I know with every cell of my being that the Bible is beyond comparison with any other religious book in the world with what it says for not only in the past but how explinations of todays events and I have no doubt in believeing it's statements of the future.
    Fine. Though statistics show that the great majority of people of faith share the same faith as their parents.

However, your position on the Bible stems from your faith rather than any objective measure of the unique validity of the Bible.

So, for those of us that do not share this faith, the correct approach cannot be to force our children to attend a church that we would essentially have to pick at random.

Would you not agree with this? I would have thought you would, as given the number of different branches of religion, the chances of the religious lottery I would have to employ selecting Jehovah's Witness would be remarkably small. At least with my approach, you would have a chance to make your case later in my son's life.

(I would go further and say that even people of confirmed faith should do the same, on the basis that you can decide to follow whatever religion you like, but you should not be choosing one for another person, but I realise that is not going to be worth pursuing.)
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 16:57
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Fine. Though statistics show that the great majority of people of faith share the same faith as their parents.

However, your position on the Bible stems from your faith rather than any objective measure of the unique validity of the Bible.

So, for those of us that do not share this faith, the correct approach cannot be to force our children to a ...[text shortened]... not be choosing one for another person, but I realise that is not going to be worth pursuing.)
    http://www.2001translation.com/Authenticity.htm
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 17:05
    Originally posted by rickgarel
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you feel about whether kids should be forced to go to church or should they be allowed to decide. I'm not talking about babies. Lets say for want of a better age 9 or 10 yrs old and beyond.
    Perhaps a better question is, what means are justified, to get unwilling children to go to church?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Perhaps a better question is, what means are justified, to get unwilling children to go to church?
    The regular church services can be a bore for children, but most churches design their Sunday School classes to be age appropriate and fun.

P.S. Perhaps the time of the regular church could be like a recess or play time in school for younger children until they get old enough to appreciate the regular church services.
  5. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 17:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The regular church services can be a bore for children, but most churches design their Sunday School classes to be age appropriate and fun.
    ALL church services are a bore........FOR EVERYONE.

Maybe you are one of those ingratiating nuts that
    go around collecting the money.

So maybe then it's not boring for you.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:00
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    ALL church services are a bore........FOR EVERYONE.

Maybe you are one of those ingratiating nuts that
    go around collecting the money.

So maybe then it's not boring for you.
    No, I have never collected the money. I have always just been a giver.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:29

P.S. Perhaps the time of the regular church could be like a recess or play time in school for younger children until they get old enough to appreciate the regular church services.
    I went to mass before the school day began every weekday from grade 1 to 8, plus every Sunday. There were no sermons during the week, and the mass was in Latin.

What I got out of it was a remarkable imagination and ability to tune people out.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:57
    I went to mass before the school day began every weekday from grade 1 to 8, plus every Sunday. There were no sermons during the week, and the mass was in Latin.

What I got out of it was a remarkable imagination and ability to tune people out.
    I would not recommend the Roman Catholic Church. Would you?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 19:10
    I would not recommend the Roman Catholic Church. Would you?
    I would recommend if a person wants to decide which church to go to, that they try a bunch of them.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 19:15
    I would recommend if a person wants to decide which church to go to, that they try a bunch of them.
    I agree with that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree