Should you force your kids to go to church

Should you force your kids to go to church

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orillia, Ontario

Moves
16 Dec 12

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you feel about whether kids should be forced to go to church or should they be allowed to decide. I'm not talking about babies. Lets say for want of a better age 9 or 10 yrs old and beyond.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by rickgarel
I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you feel about whether kids should be forced to go to church or should they be allowed to decide. I'm not talking about babies. Lets say for want of a better age 9 or 10 yrs old and beyond.
Should you force your child to go to school? The answer should be the same, unless you are a numbnuts.

Ro

Moves
16 Dec 12

Which Church? There are so many to choose from, all claiming to be the one and only true religion and each unable to prove why this is the case.

If I sent my son to each one, he wouldn't have much time for school.

Orillia, Ontario

Moves
16 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Should you force your child to go to school? The answer should be the same, unless you are a numbnuts.
Thanks for your insightful reply sir. Knowledge is power, so knowing that I'm probably a "numbnuts" is useful. ;-)

I appreciate your strong feelings about this, but would it not be better for a child to come to God rather then having church forced upon them?

Moves
16 Dec 12

I was just wondering what other decisions you think should be left to a 9 or 10 year old to make? Can I assume that you think going to church is wrong and this is why you posed this question?

Orillia, Ontario

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
I was just wondering what other decisions you think should be left to a 9 or 10 year old to make? Can I assume that you think going to church is wrong and this is why you posed this question?
No I do not think going to church is wrong. I go to church.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Dec 12

Kids should sometimes be forced to go places they don't like. If the parents are church-goers, this may include church.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
16 Dec 12
2 edits

Simply answer: ...no - never, don't ever force religion onto children until they're old enough to decide for themselves that they've given up and want a goddidit explanation for all the things they don't or cannot understand. Churches are different from schools in that the latter equip you to be a functioning and skilled member of society, churches equip you to have irrational stereotypes, a fear of imaginary lakes of fire, and subservience to some all-seeing all-doing psycho in the sky.

Moves
16 Dec 12

No I do not think going to church is wrong. I go to church.
O.K I also attend church as do the rest of my family. My wife and I have never had to force our kids to go, even when they were 9&10, in my mind we are lucky in that respect. They are older now , 20 , 18, 16 , and 16. If someday they make the decision to not attend church I would not force them. I would convey my disappointment but not shun or admonish them. I believe their relationship with God is strong and that this would never happen. Adult (children) need to be left to navigate the world on their own. If you believe you have raised them in a way that is proper to you and your wife, hopefully they will follow these ways as young adults. May I ask how old your children are and if you attend church regularly?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Dec 12

Thanks for your insightful reply sir. Knowledge is power, so knowing that I'm probably a "numbnuts" is useful. ;-)

I appreciate your strong feelings about this, but would it not be better for a child to come to God rather then having church forced upon them?
Hang around much and RJH will give you all kinds of useful insight. He has some really deep meanigful ones so don't be shocked at what he says...
Don't take it personal as he does this to all of us.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by Agerg
Simply answer: ...no - never, don't ever force religion onto children until they're old enough to decide for themselves that they've given up and want a goddidit explanation for all the things they don't or cannot understand. Churches are different from schools in that the latter equip you to be a functioning and skilled member of society, churches equip you t ...[text shortened]... of imaginary lakes of fire, and subservience to some all-seeing all-doing psycho in the sky.
If dad and mom are going and there's no one at home to watch the kids, then the kids are going. 😛

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Dec 12

Good question. The Bible actually speaks of training ones from a young child or one version uses the word infant.
They have discovered that even very young infants do learn more then we ever thought.

2 Timothy 3:15
Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 And how from your childhood you have had a knowledge of and been acquainted with the sacred Writings, which are able to instruct you and give you the understanding for salvation which comes through faith in Christ Jesus [through the [a]leaning of the entire human personality on God in Christ Jesus in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness.

Quote: "MODERN research indicates that “fetuses have physiological reactions to voices.” University of North Carolina researchers “found that after mothers read to their children in utero, the newborns reacted when the passages were read again,” says the Winnipeg Free Press. When women read aloud while pregnant, this may well contribute to instilling good moral values in the child. The Bible says that Timothy ‘knew the holy writings from infancy.’ (2 Timothy 3:14, 15) Evidently, his mother and his grandmother appreciated the value of training him from infancy, which very likely included reading aloud.
Reading is “the most powerful life skill that we have in our society today,” says author Jim Trelease. Language and vocabulary skills are enhanced by reading aloud.
It is wise to begin reading aloud at least as soon as you start to talk to your infant. Even though your unborn or newborn child will not initially understand what you are saying, the potential long-term benefits are worth it. Proverbs 22:6 says: “Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it.”

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Good question. The Bible actually speaks of training ones from a young child or one version uses the word infant.
They have discovered that even very young infants do learn more then we ever thought.

2 Timothy 3:15
Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 And how from your childhood you have had a knowledge of and been acquainted with the sacred Writings, which ...[text shortened]... up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it.”
What's an amplified bible?

Can I plug my electric guitar into it?

Over here in Ireland we only have the King James Version.

Over there where you are that doesn't seem to be enough,
you have lots of different versions. Why is this the case?

Were you not happy with the original?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
What's an amplified bible?

Can I plug my electric guitar into it?

Over here in Ireland we only have the King James Version.

Over there where you are that doesn't seem to be enough,
you have lots of different versions. Why is this the case?

Were you not happy with the original?
Lol. Yeah it's the loudest so I like it the best...

Here is a good site to compare many of the Bibles.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Lol. Yeah it's the loudest so I like it the best...

Here is a good site to compare many of the Bibles.

http://www.biblegateway.com/
Did you ever hear British rock singer Phil Collins singing

"I've been talking to Jesus"

It's a really funny song that makes a spoof of these
American evangelists going around in white suits
collecting millions.

Google the song and you'll see the video for it.