1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Mar '05 23:19
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    Maybe they are souls from species that have become extinct ? There might even be one or two former dodo's here in the forums🙂
    I was a tyrannosaurus before. I ate RBHILL. I got indigestion and died.
  2. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 08:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Does this mean that higher caste humans will increase in number and lower caste ones decrease?
    That is a debatable point (and an interesting one).

If reincarnation works correctly, humans should gradually approach perfection - this is not the case.

Anyone have an opinion on why this is (arguing the point from a "carnastionist" point of view, rather than dismissing the idea completely).

3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 10:15
    I was a tyrannosaurus before. I ate RBHILL. I got indigestion and died.
    Ahh, but what was RBHILL before?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 10:311 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Ahh, but what was RBHILL before?
    He was a saber toothed cow. A poisonous one.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 10:36
    He was a saber toothed cow. A poisonous one.
    Eeek, good thing you ate him then, imagine what evolution might have done with him!
  6. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 13:37
    Originally posted by Alcra
    If reincarnation works correctly, humans should gradually approach perfection - this is not the case.
    I'm not sure why you think this cannot be the case (whether or not reincarnation actually suggests it).

The "gradual change" would be observable only over several generations as people are re-incarnated. Measuring how "perfect" (I assume you're talking spiritually/morally here) humans are now is a difficult task. Measuring it for the past is not possible for you (yet...).

At a guess, I'd say you were "better" than when you were living in caves...

MÅ¥HÅRM

PS. I could add something regarding your future, having come from then, but that kind of information has too high a chance of creating a paradox.
  7. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 13:46
    Originally posted by Mayharm
    I'm not sure why you think this cannot be the case (whether or not reincarnation actually suggests it).

The "gradual change" would be observable only over several generations as people are re-incarnated. Measuring how "perfect" (I assume you're talking spiritually/morally here) humans are [b]now
    is a difficult task. Measuring it for the past is ...[text shortened]... having come from then, but that kind of information has too high a chance of creating a paradox.[/b]
    (
    Firstly, let me state: This is NOT a belief of mine, but is interesting to debate nonetheless. Should a carnationist want to take over the "pro" argument, I will be happy to move to the "con" side!
    )

I did not state that it COULD not be the case, but that is WAS not the case (at least from my perception).

Mankind as a whole has seemed to degenerate morally over the last half century.

This may be as a result of a "forced" upward re-incarnation cycle - as mankind causes the extinction of lesser species, so more souls need to be born human (be they ready for this "last" step or not).

8. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 13:57
    (
    Firstly, let me state: This is NOT a belief of mine, but is interesting to debate nonetheless. Should a carnationist want to take over the "pro" argument, I will be happy to move to the "con" side!
    )

I did not state that it COULD not be the case, but that is WAS not the case (at least from my perception).

Mankind as a whole has seemed to degene ...[text shortened]... species, so more souls need to be born human (be they ready for this "last" step or not).

50 years is still fairly small fry in terms of human generations. Would it really be surprising if this morality "value" can waver slightly in the short term?

You're also assuming that the earth is a limitation...nothing about reincarnation suggests that it need be limited to just the earth. All the animals humanity is currently killing off may well be re-incarnated on an alien planet for all you know.

MÅ¥HÅRM
  9. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 14:22
    Originally posted by Mayharm
    50 years is still fairly small fry in terms of human generations. Would it really be surprising if this morality "value" can waver slightly in the short term?

You're also assuming that the earth is a limitation...nothing about reincarnation suggests that it need be limited to just the earth. All the animals humanity is currently killing off may well be re-incarnated on an alien planet for all you know.

MÅ¥HÅRM
    Agreed - 50 years is very short. However, it can be argued that manking has been reducing in morality for centuries - this is a debate for another thread.

As for the "alien planet" hypothesis, I would suggest we discard it. Adding it to the debate will introduce far too many variables. An example, would be an alien civilization where all higher life forms are wiped out (disaster, war or whatever), leaving a vast pool of "souls" that need to go somewhere. In a civilization of 100 billion individuals (again a guess), these would likely have to "de-incarnate" to lesser life forms, distorting the move forward. (Unless one introduces a holding room - is this called the gaff in religion?).

10. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 17:38
    As for the "alien planet" hypothesis, I would suggest we discard it. Adding it to the debate will introduce far too many variables.
    Firstly yes, the up/down of humanity's moral progress is a subject for another thread.

However in response to the above quote, it was your question that brought in these variables... I was actually trying to point out the futility of applying physical laws to the metaphysical concept of reincarnation, not to argue the variables themselves.

Even if we accept that souls are affected by physical laws (which is what your cause and effect statement: "...extinction of lesser species, so more souls need to be born human..." implies) you still have no basis for assuming the effects are bound/locked in space/time...

MÅ¥HÅRM
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:22
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Where did the souls come from in the first place to be reincarnated?
    Waiting.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:24
    Waiting.
    If I remember correctly, you believe sentient beings don't need to be caused, right?
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:27
    If I remember correctly, you believe sentient beings don't need to be caused, right?
    No, I said extenuating circumstances need to be discussed when it is a sentient being. Souls don't make the claim of having existed forever or having created the universe.
  14. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:32
    No, I said extenuating circumstances need to be discussed when it is a sentient being. Souls don't make the claim of having existed forever or having created the universe.
    In the Christian belief is the soul not that part of God which resides in us all? So in essence, yes they did/do.

Nyxie
  15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:35
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    In the Christian belief is the soul not that part of God which resides in us all? So in essence, yes they did/do.

Nyxie
    So reincarnationists are borrowing God to explain where souls come from in their godless belief?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree