1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Confidentially, I'm quite glad. I think the point's been made, though, don't you?
    think the point's been made, though, don't you?

I think one can't expect to fully understand the Bible by a completely literal reading, but should have an understanding of the contemporary idioms and their usage.

How do you think a literalist will interpret any of Christ's parables and comparisons? -

Mat 7:3 You can see the speck in your friend's eye, but you don't notice the log in your own eye.
    Mat 7:4 How can you say, "My friend, let me take the speck out of your eye," when you don't see the log in your own eye?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:46
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I think one can't expect to fully understand the Bible by a completely literal reading, but should have an understanding of the contemporary idioms and their usage.
    In addition, one should be willing to interpret the Bible in its historical context, not forgetting that concepts like firmament are rooted in a cosmology which has been disproved.
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:50
    [b] think the point's been made, though, don't you?

How do you think a literalist will interpret any of Christ's parables and comparisons? -

Mat 7:3 You can see the speck in y ...[text shortened]... My friend, let me take the speck out of your eye," when you don't see the log in your own eye?[/b]
    That is simple enough. THE BIBLE is understood, by the faith that the believer has in GOD. Faith in the Salvation that is offered, by JESUS CHRIST. Along with Hope that GOD, will keep HIS promises.
    It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbors face, and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, "let me wash your face for you," when your own face is distorted by contempt. MATTHEW 7:3,4. THE MESSAGE TRANSLATION BIBLE
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:53
    In addition, one should be willing to interpret the Bible in its historical context, not forgetting that concepts like firmament are rooted in a cosmology which has been disproved.
    So you didn't buy the vapour canopy theory? I bowed out when the windows of heaven needed glass, putty and hinges,,,
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:53
    One would has less of a problem, interpretting THE BIBLE. If one had the Faith to believe that THE BIBLE was true.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:54
    So you didn't buy the vapour canopy theory? I bowed out when the windows of heaven needed glass, putty and hinges,,,
    ...and window washers for days without rain.

I'll buy anything provided I can sell it on at a profit.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 12:55
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    One would has less of a problem, interpretting THE BIBLE. If one had the Faith to believe that THE BIBLE was true.
    I agree with you one hunnerd percent.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 13:12
    That is simple enough. THE BIBLE is understood, by the faith that the believer has in GOD. Faith in the Salvation that is offered, by JESUS CHRIST. Along with Hope that GOD, will keep HIS promises.
    It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbors face, and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, "let me wash your face fo ...[text shortened]... you," when your own face is distorted by contempt. MATTHEW 7:3,4. THE MESSAGE TRANSLATION BIBLE
    BF, I've got no beef with you. I understand and respect your view of faith/truth and your subsequent interpretation of the Bible. I even agree with some of them. Your "Message Translation" has applied liberal common sense to the original greek in identifying the message in Christ's words. That is my point: a little common sense rather than a dogmatic application of the literal meaning can go a long way.
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:21
    BF, I've got no beef with you. I understand and respect your view of faith/truth and your subsequent interpretation of the Bible. I even agree with some of them. Your "Message Translation" has applied liberal common sense to the original greek in identifying the message in Christ's words. That is my point: a little common sense rather than a dogmatic application of the literal meaning can go a long way.
    Is it not true then? That all the Translations of THE BILBLE, actually say the same thing and have the same message, and understanding. That the different Translations and understandings, are for all levels of onderstanding? That GOD is making sure that no one, can make the claim, they did not understand, THE WORD OF GOD? Which is being translated in all the Tongues of mankind. Also in all Languages and Understandings.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:26
    Is it not true then? That all the Translations of THE BILBLE, actually say the same thing and have the same message, and understanding. That the different Translations and understandings, are for all levels of onderstanding? That GOD is making sure that no one, can make the claim, they did not understand, THE WORD OF GOD? Which is being translated in all the Tongues of mankind. Also in all Languages and Understandings.
    Dude, you're splitting hairs here...
  11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:53
    As long as the split between the hairs is the truth.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:59
    I prefer to split infinities.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree